Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

Strange things happening during FGCom Installation

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

Strange things happening during FGCom Installation

Postby Muffinman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Hello everyone! I am trying to set up FGCom for the first time, but I am getting some weird results.

When I press the start button in the FGComGUI in test mode I get this:
Code: Select all
$ fgcom.exe -Sfgcom01.flightgear.org -i0.75 -o0.75 -p16661 -f910

And it won't let me press the stop button.

When I try to start the FGCom Standalone Win32 bit (I am on a 64-bit machine however. When I try using the 64-bit FGCom standalone the applications won't even open.) I get a command window opening and closing really quickly with this in it:
Code: Select all
fgcom.exe - a communication radio based on VoIP with IAX/Asterisk
Original (c) 2007-2011 by H. Wirtz (wirtz@dfn.de
OSX and Windows ports 2012-2013 by Yves Sablonier and Geoff R. McLane, resp.
Version 3.1.0 compile Feb 14 2014, at 02:14:46
Using iaxclient library Version SVN 261

OpenAl function alcOpenDevice failed with code 0
FATAL ERROR: cannot initialize iaxclient!
HINT: Have you check the mic and speakers?

Both times I tried these I did not have FG running. But I have tried them both with FG running and it gave me the same thing both times.

Does anyone have an idea as how to fix either one of these?
My personal livery collection. Specializing in Star Alliance and oneworld airlines and logojets.
Muffinman

Callsign: N626CM
Version: 2020.1.3

Re: Strange things happening during FGCom Installation

Postby kuifje09 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm

As a little info : I have als problems with the standalone fgcom on linux. But now I am using fgfs 3.X and fgcom is build in.
That fgcome works as should. Maby thats an option
kuifje09

Postby Muffinman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Yes, I thought about that after posting this thread. FG 3.0 comes out in 3 days, so I might as well just wait until that and then use the built in FGCom.
My personal livery collection. Specializing in Star Alliance and oneworld airlines and logojets.
Muffinman

Postby F-JJTH » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi,

FGComGUI is definitely not recommended. The "-i0.75 -o0.75" shouldn't be set. This is a real bug from FGComGUI.
Hopefully you don't need to use FGComGUI in order to use FGCom standalone. It's really simple to use FGCom standalone just by double-clicking on the 2 script provided in the archive.

You should read the documentation about that: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGCom_3.0

The error you are getting is typical when OpenAL doesn't found your microphone/speaker ( that's why you have the following message "HINT: Have you check the mic and speakers?")
So here the question is : Have you check the mic and speakers? :)

Are you sure your microphone is working ? Your OS is correctly setup (micrphone not muted) ? Are you able to use your speaker/microphone with another software (please do a test now, not just "yes yesterday it was working" ) ?

Last time another guy reported this error it was just a "oops I forgot to plug my microphone :/ now it works fine with the microphone plugged in :) "

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Muffinman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Yeah, I agree with you on the FGComGUI. It hasn't been updated since 2010! :shock:

I have read the documentation, and yes, I checked the mic and speakers. And I also tested the mic on Skype right after I found the problem out. Plus I tested with two different versions of Skype on two different computers! I also ran the Windows mic setup thing just before testing it with Skype.

Could it be that since I only have FG2.10.0.3 installed that the OpenAL drivers are out of date with what FGCom 3.0 needs?
Muffinman

Postby F-JJTH » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Muffinman wrote in Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 pm:Could it be that since I only have FG2.10.0.3 installed that the OpenAL drivers are out of date with what FGCom 3.0 needs?

No, FGCom 3.0 is delivered with an OpenAL driver (into /bin folder), even if you didn't installed FlightGear, FGCom standalone would works.

I guess your Windows installation has a problem :/
I have Win 7 64 bits and FGCom standalone 64 bits works fine but not for you.
Also I haven't any error messages, my microphone and speaker are plugged and FGCom works fine (I have tested 32 bits and 64 bits version) but not for you.

Unfortunately I'm not a Windows expert (usually I'm a Linux user), you have to found why your Windows is bugged. Maybe a simple restart can solve it.

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Muffinman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 pm

I'll try a restart, and if that doesn't work, I'll just wait until FG 3.0 comes out in a couple days (or get a release candidate). Thanks for your help! :)
Muffinman

Return to FGCom