Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

fgcom.flightgear.org + FGCom 3.0 : bug reports

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

Re: fgcom.flightgear.org + FGCom 3.0 : bug reports

Postby jomo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 am

jomo wrote in Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 pm:.... anybody has an idea how to solve these incompatabilites ??

After
    there is no answer/comment to my above "bug report"
    nor a positive echo to several suggestions in the past on how to enable a "Phase-IN" instead of a "Cut-IN"
    and after enduring 3 ATC-sessions with these 3 absolutely incompatible FGCom solutions (old, old with new, new)
    and after getting lots of promises - but no solutions (since beginning of Oct 2013)
I assume that a smooth phase over from old to new is not wanted.

And after I tried yesterday to ATC with FGCom and Mumble on the headset and MPchat at the fingertips - I had to decide that this is not a possible "interim" solution.

So starting Wed. 29th Jan. 2014 I will use/propagate Mumble at EDDF.

(Pls believe me: After fighting since 5 years FOR FGCom (against mumble and others) -- that was not an easy decision!)
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby lenny64600 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am

Hello Jörg,

I think we should not leave FGCom, as it becomes a native client and a realistic platform for pilots and ATC to communicate.
Of course I understand what you say about those bugs occurring, and the several choices people have : fgcom.flightgear.org or fgcom01.flightgear.org ? Anyway, it remains on FGCom and there is no other choices.

The thing is, we want pilots and ATCs to communicate each other. For now, many people is using FGCom, while others prefer to use Mumble. That is a free and open source software. Everyone is free to deal with anything one wants.

But without FGCom, keep in mind that you lose many interesting features : in-game frequencies, radio range, etc... It's hard to loose those realistic features !

Cheers, Lenny
*NEW : New website to follow ATC sessions : http://flightgear-atc.alwaysdata.net
Follow us on Twitter
@Flightgear_ATC
lenny64600

Callsign: LFOK_TW, F-LENNY

Postby jomo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 am

lenny64600 wrote in Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am:The thing is, we want pilots and ATCs to communicate each other. For now, many people is using FGCom, while others prefer to use Mumble. That is a free and open source software. Everyone is free to deal with anything one wants.

But without FGCom, keep in mind that you lose many interesting features : in-game frequencies, radio range, etc... It's hard to loose those realistic features !

Hi lenny
that is pretty much what I was telling everybody since now 5 years - the problem is that there are now 3 versions of FGCom that cannot communicate with each other:
    FGCom-clients (not connected to FGFS3.0.0!) are OK on both servers
    FGCom3-clients (not connected to FGFS3.0.0!) must be configured inside the start-batchfile (which not all users are used to edit)
    FGCom3-intergrated can only work with the fgcom.flightgear.org server - it cannot even connect to any kind of clients in use
So not all MPusers can talk to each other right now. And FGCom has become even more difficult to handle than it was before - it just becomes easier for users that install FGFS 3.0.0 - and that will not be all users worldwide within an acceptable time-frame.

Mumble surely is not as realistic - but it works, is easier to handle, and is independent of Operating-Systems.
And as you say: Everybody can choose what he believes is the best for his goals/events.
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby KL-666 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi All,

Having heard of the problems before installing fg 3.0rc1, i decided to test what would happen if i just kept using my good old fgcom version. For now i have been able to communicate as good as always on both servers: fgcom01 and fgcom.

So i think if you need a quick solution now, then do not upgrade the client nor use internal fgcom, but keep the client version you had before fgcom 3.0.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 am

Testing fg3.0rc4, and found out external fgcom does not work anymore. Will this bug be fixed, or is it an on purpose feature to force us all on internal fgcom? If the latter is the case, i am very not amused, because internal fgcom is a horror if it works at all.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 am

FGCom standalone works fine for dozens of people ! If you need a proof just take a look at the history page: http://fgcom.flightgear.org/history.php and take the time to count the number of people who are using FGCom standalone...

fgcom does not work anymore

Well... this is a nice "bug report" guy... can you explain me how I can help you with this information ?!
Instead of writing a sarcastic sentence (forcing people to use FGCom internal... it's pathetic) you should write some useful informations...

Ok I will try to be kind this time:
- How do you start FGCom standalone ? (I need to know exactly all steps that you are doing)
- What is the content of the FGCom console ? (copy/paste ALL the content of the console here)
- Why are you thinking it doesn't work ?
- The echo-test is working ?
- Your microphone is correctly plugged ?
- The volume of your microphone is set at 100% ?
- The default microphone in your OS is the one you are using ?
- What OS are you using ?
- Have read and applied the documentation ? http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGCom_3.0

You should really be more kind if you want help... being sarcastic is certainly not a good technique to say << hey I have a problem my FGCom doesn't work, can you help me please ? I think I'm doing something wrong because it seems to work for a lot of other people >>

Can you explain why "internal fgcom is a horror" ??? is it an horror for you to click on "Enabled" ? hmmm it seems we haven't the same definition of horror... And again, this kind of sentence doesn't help us to help you or improve the situation...

You have to be more constructive in your post...

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby KL-666 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 am

Hi F-JJTH,

You may have noticed i specifically said the issue with external started at fg3.0rc4? All your dozens are on rc4? Until fg3.0rc2 fgcom was a breeze, with every upgrade since 2.4/2.6 it worked out of the box, because the i/o settings of port 16661 were taken over by the new installation. Also this time the i/o setting are there, but suddenly the communication about frequency is broken between fg and fgcom. The log does not get further than:

Initializing IAX client as guest:xxxxxxxxxxx@fgcom.flightgear.org

Normally after this, there would be messages about frequencies set in fg.

So i started internal fgcom. Result: no communication or unintelligible communication. You can not blame me for having not much info on this, since you made there only a check box: on or off. So i can't tell you much about that.

Then i tried external fgcom 3, with the same result as my good old fgcom version. Not getting beyond message:

I wish you would not want to put me to work so much, after years of well functioning external fgcom. You may better accept that between fg3.0rc2 and fg3.0rc4 something between fg and fgcom got messed up and fix it.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:40 am

KL-666 wrote in Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:06 am:You may better accept that between fg3.0rc2 and fg3.0rc4 something between fg and fgcom got messed up and fix it.

Negative, here it works fine. The problem is on your side ;)

But since you didn't answered at my question s I guess you refuse my help...

In fact I think you are just here to complaint for the pleasure to complaint... I've asked you plenty of questions and you have answered to no-one (I've asked for ALL the content of the console, not just 1 line...)

And for information, just below the "Enabled" button there is a "Display message (for debug only)"... so you are wrong you can have more information when enabling this checkbox... but I guess you didn't took the time to read the documentation...

OK, I'm tired to try to help some guys like you who doesn't try to make a little effort... So I will do the same than for some others guys here: you are now added to my foes :)

Bye
F-JJTH

Postby KL-666 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:47 am

Well, then i can conclude fgcom stays broken in the fg 3 release. I'll have to look into other resources like mumble.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:51 am

FGCom is not broken, you just don't know how to use it because you don't want to read the documentation...
I repeat: FGCom standalone and FGCom builtin works absolutely and perfectly fine for dozens and people using FG 3.0.0 RC4 :) the problem is not FGCom , the problem is you ;)

But to be honest I prefer that you use Mumble indeed, that way I don't have to worry about you anymore ;) Thanks you for this good decision :)

Bye
F-JJTH

Postby KL-666 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:01 am

Hello F-JJTH,

I do not understand that you read me, if you blacklisted me. But since you do FYI, the full black box of fgcom 3:

fgcom.exe - a communication radio based on VoIP with IAX/Asterisk
Original (c) 2007-2011 by H. Wirtz <wirtz@dfn.de>
OSX and Windows ports 2012-2013 by Yves Sablonier and Geoff R. McLane, resp.
Version 3.0.0 compiled Jan 23 2014, at 11:14:50
Using iaxclient library Version SVN 261

Successfully parsed commandline options
Loaded file [D:\bin\FlightGear\v3.0rc1\share\flightgear\special_frequencies.txt]
Reading airports [D:\bin\FlightGear\v3.0rc1\share\flightgear\positions.txt]
loaded 47171 entries

You tell me, what that helps you. I do not believe it helps anything.

Well since we concluded you are not inclined to notice a change between fg3.0rc2 and fg3.0rc4 we can better end here. Just wanted to give you the full black box, since you asked.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 am

Once again you are wrong...
The full black box tell me that you are not using FG 3.0.0 RC4 :D
You are using FGCom standalone from FG3.0.0 RC1 ... the proof is the "Version 3.0.0 compiled Jan 23 2014, at 11:14:50" if you were using a RC4 the date should be Feb 04 or 05

So next time, instead of thinking you are more intelligent than the maintainer of FGCom... change your mind and follow what the maintainer of FGCom is asking you...

As I said the problem is not FGCom...
F-JJTH

Postby KL-666 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 am

Great, that win8.1 fooled me. But the result is the same.

fgcom.exe - a communication radio based on VoIP with IAX/Asterisk
Original (c) 2007-2011 by H. Wirtz <wirtz@dfn.de>
OSX and Windows ports 2012-2013 by Yves Sablonier and Geoff R. McLane, resp.
Version 3.0.0 compiled Feb 5 2014, at 07:00:03
Using iaxclient library Version SVN 261

Successfully parsed commandline options
Loaded file [D:\bin\FlightGear\v3.0rc4\share\flightgear\special_frequencies.txt]
Reading airports [D:\bin\FlightGear\v3.0rc4\share\flightgear\positions.txt]
loaded 47171 entries

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:02 pm

As you can see, just because you have answered to 1 of my questions I have been able to conclude:
- You are using FGCom standalone RC1 (the date of the compilation told me that)
- You are a Windows user ( the "fgcom.exe" told me that)
- Because you are a Windows user you are certainly hitted by a known bug ( see below)
- You haven't the bugfix about silence threshold that I commited in RC4

Well... now do you imagine the thousands of things that I will be able to conclude if you answered to ALL my questions ??
But as I said, you are clearly not here to solve your problem, you are just here to complaint for your own pleasure.

Hopefully we have some users who are much more constructive: thanks to Secret_hamster who took the time to explain me his problem in detail and has answered to all my questions: the bug has been fixed 1 weeks ago !

PS: No need to answer to my questions now, you have exhausted my patience and I've no longer pleasure to help you, I've spend enough time for you...
F-JJTH

Postby User15443 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:32 pm

I think until a stable version of FGCOM 3.0 with all the working frequency's (which it does have) COMES with Flightgear, we should use Mumble. I see everyone's points. I think eventually we need FGCOM working for a realistic experience!
Kind Regards
Ross
User15443
Retired

Version: 2.12

PreviousNext

Return to FGCom