Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCOM not working

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

FGCOM not working

Postby Seijan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:38 pm

I am wanting to set this up, but it's not happening, test mode doesn't return any sound, whatsoever.

It just shows some text in the GUI, and thats it.

I am running windows 7 32 bit, newest FG version 2.12.1, thanks in advance.
Seijan

Re: FGCOM not working

Postby F-JJTH » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 am

FGCom is working, you can see all your connections here: http://fgcom.flightgear.org/history.php
As you can see you were correctly connected to the server, your callsign has been correctly recognized, the frequency you used was correctly handled. So FGCom is definitely working fine.

However if you can't hear any sound during the test mode it means you have something wrongly set on your computer, Are you able to listen music on your computer ? are you able to record your voice with a software like audacity ? In most case the problem come from the microphone, you have to check your microphone is correctly set (volume, input, un-muted...)

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Secret_Hamster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:37 am

I've had an issue with the inbuilt FGCOM and the stand alone. It appears to be picking up the wrong sound source as far as I can tell.

I'm running linux Fedora 18 64bit, and run the git release build.

From what I can tell there is the mic and the mic-boost sources. The current fgcom seems to go for the mic only, even if using the mic-boost switch on the commandline. I can get some poor quality sound out if I press the mic right against my lips. Even 5mm away seems to be too much.

I have an old 2.10 fgcom build on my system and have reverted to that.
Secret_Hamster

Callsign: H-MSTR
Version: Git

Postby F-JJTH » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

Hi,

What are you calling the "mic-boost source" ? Does it means you have 2 physical mic plugged on your computer, one called "mic" and another one called "mic-boost" ?
Which command line switch are you using for the built-in ? and for the standalone ?

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Secret_Hamster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:12 pm

No, on the pulseaudio system there seems to be two sources from the mic,

standard mic, and a mic-boost. I'm not quite sure what it means from a system point of view, but the mic-boost "option" is far more sensitive

If you run fgcom from the commandline, using --help, you can see a --mic-boost option. I'm not sure if it is actively used I also tried using the mic and speaker levels to max, none of them seemed to make any effect.
Secret_Hamster

Callsign: H-MSTR
Version: Git

Postby F-JJTH » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm

The --mic-boost option is not (and has never been) implemented, if you look at source code it's really easy to see it: http://mapserver.flightgear.org/git/?p= ... =next#l238

About PulseAudio: FGCom doesn't care for pulseaudio driver, he uses OpenAL driver, OpenAL look at your operating system audio configuration and select the default microphone. I don't know how it works on Fedora 18 but here on Linux Mint 15 I have an "Input" drop list, then I select the device input that I want my operating system uses then FGCom (and so OpenAL) is able to use this device as input.

I would be surprised to know that Fedora 18 has a bug about audio system :/ Maybe you should ask on a dedicated Fedora forum.
I have multiple reports saying FGCom works as expected on Windows XP, Windows 8, Windows 7, Linux Gentoo, Linux Ubuntu, Linux Mint

Keep in mind that the important thing is to tell to your operating system which device you want to be the default input device. Once you are able to tell that to your operating system it should work as expected.

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Return to FGCom