Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCom announcements

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

Re: FGCom announcements

Postby Octal450 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Thank you very much! I've recently been using FGCom with ATC-pie, very good work!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby mickybadia » Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 am

Sorry I had actually missed a post on the FG dev list. The domain IP had already been updated so you may just ignore my post as everything is already in place.
mickybadia

Postby TheKezStrel » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:19 am

New FGCOM testing server.

I have been building a new FGCOM server from scratch, and it's ready for testing.
Available global frequencies are
EchoTest (910.000)
Music Box (911.000) - to check if you can hear the audio stream from the server
Air2Air 1 (122.750)
Air2Air 2 (123.450)

Airfield Frequencies are
EGXW Waddington Departure 123.300
EGXW Waddington Tower 125.350

EGLL Heathrow Information 128.075
EGLL Heathrow Tower 124.475
EGLL Heathrow Ground 121.900
EGLL Heathrow Director 134.975
EGLL Heathrow Delivery 121.975

This is to speed up the server load and audio testing for now.

What I'd love to propose, is to have a large get-together on this server and see how it handles lots of connections to the same frequency and how it handles all of them active at the same time ( need like 20+ people to do all the frequencies at once.).

Should stability be good, the number of supported airports can increase to the most used ones with further expansion to all currently supported airports should it be stable.

I'd love to hear everyone's input.

*KNOWN ISSUES*

Server has issue when you change frequencies too often. This causes a "Max Retries Error" in the server and somehow the audio is not piped to the correct area or player within the server. Both the Transmit and Receive of players is affected. Try changing frequencies less than once every 3 minutes to minimise this audio issue.

Multiple frequency changes may cause your FG simulator to crash. It works for 2 or 3 frequency changes and the causes your FG simulator to crash. Please have the error reporting module selected in the launcher ( should be by default) to send the error report to the dev team.

Version 2018.3.6 Built in works audio both ways, yet is still susceptible to the 3 frequency change crash.

Most EXTERNAL FGCOM clients work correctly with OpenRadar without issue, and withstand lots of frequency changes as long as they are spaced at least 3 minutes apart without incident.

External FGCOM 2020.3.5 sounds muffled on both Receive and Transmit.

Using the built in FGCOM on some more recent versions will transmit your voice to the server but not get anything back through the speakers, even though your client is receiving the data packets. This is the same for Built in or external FGCOM. It's a know FGCOM Client issue, and I'm currently working together with James Turner at the FG repository on Sourceforge to try and iron out these issues.

Please send me reports on your FGCOM results, Also, when would be good for you to do a mass server FGCOM test?

Best Reagrds,
Kez.
Currently developer of the new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Callsign: G-P1CK
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby benih » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:46 am

I could usually help at around 2130 utc and later. A day or so heads up would be good, so i don’t miss.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby Simworld2020 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi Kez, I'm glad to see somebody working on FGCom.

I tested yesterday or the day before, and again today. Today January 5 I connected to the FGCom server and tested at approximately 1500 hours to 1530 hours UTC.

I used FG version 2018.3.6

Observations:

I heard the music box, I think it was some kind of love song! I think the name of the song must be "Will you dance with a stranger?" .

Echo test:

First, my microphone is working, I tested it in another application before doing your test.

When pressing the space bar to transmit on Com1, I hear only radio static while I am transmitting.
When I release the PTT space bar, I hear nothing.

HOWEVER:

If I am talking at the same time as releasing the space bar, then I will hear, very briefly, my own voice.

So I am receiving two distinct audio signals from the test.

First, the "radio static" .

Then, only if I am talking at the exact moment when I release the space bar PTT, I will hear very briefly my own voice as it was at the very moment I released the space bar.

But while transmitting into the echo box, I hear nothing at all except "radio static", even if I talk for a good amount of time, even transmitting for 30 seconds or so.

Some confusion I had, and suggestions on how other testers might avoid that confusion:

1. I was unsure whether or not I needed to be connected to the MP network in order to use FGCom. I have now concluded that FGCom is a separate network, and I do not need to be connected to the MP network in order to use FGCom.

2. I was unsure whether or not I should see myself on the FGCom status web page once connected. During my tests, I was also monitoring the FGCom status web page, I never saw myself there.

3. When launching FG, I used the startup --prop commands that you listed but still could not get any results at all until I activated FGCom in the dialog box.

4. I tried the tests on both COM1 and COM2 and ultimately concluded that COM2 is not working on FGCom and should not be part of the test, or instead, I do not know how to transmit on COM2 (As the spacebar PTT is only for COM1).

I would like to test more, and may I suggest the following limitations on the test so that other users might save some time:

A. Limit the test to COM1 unless there is a specific reason to also test on COM2.
B. Specify that it is not necessary to connect to the MP network in order to do these tests.
C. Either include another --prop command to enable the appropriate dialog box options or instead specify which options in the dialog box must be checked.
D. Specify whether or not your server is connected to the FGCom status website. When we are connected to FGCom for the tests, should we also appear on the FGCom status website?
E. Finally, I loved the music on the "music box". Would it be a good idea to replace the music with an "audio key" so that you can test specific changes against specific audio keys? For example, instead of the music, maybe the music box could play a looped audio file containing a specific test number. Maybe the audio file could say "This is FGCom test ALPHA. When giving feedback about this test, please specify that you heard information ALPHA", much like we hear in ATIS messages.

-------------

About a good time for an online gathering to test your server in a real time, multiuser environment, I will do my best to connect at whatever time is posted here in this thread, I'll check this thread regularly for updates and for any changes in the test parameters.

Best wishes.

EDIT: To add another point: I never knew that COM1 and COM2 could tune frequencies in the 900 MHz range. From the 3D cockpit, they cannot. But from the F12 dialog box, they can. It took me a while to figure that out. So, maybe it is also a good idea that in the test parameters, you mention that the 910 MHz and 911 MHz frequencies cannot be tuned from the 3D cockpit, but must instead be set using the F12 dialog box.
Flying DHC-6, MD-11 and A320-family
FG 2020.3.11 / 2020.4.0 nightly
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
Windows 10 Pro vers. 21H2 - 64 bit
Intel core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7 GHz
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M/2Gb RAM
Simworld2020

Postby Simworld2020 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:29 am

Tested 0300 UTC Jan 9.
Launched at EGLL using FG 2020.3 and stable FGAddon Cessna 172p.
No good result.
The aircraft radio would not tune either 910 or 911 KHz.
Even with the F12 dialog box, the radio would not tune.
Flying DHC-6, MD-11 and A320-family
FG 2020.3.11 / 2020.4.0 nightly
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
Windows 10 Pro vers. 21H2 - 64 bit
Intel core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7 GHz
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M/2Gb RAM
Simworld2020

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Thanks for the testing help so far guys. I will try and start a new thread for the server testing to keep this one open for just the general announcements to all.

[EDIT]

New thread for server testing at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38577

[EDIT]
Currently developer of the new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Re: FGCom announcements - New round of testing

Postby TheKezStrel » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:55 pm

Hey all.

My test server is up again and available for a new round of testing. see forum posts here. https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38577

TheKezStrel (G-P1CK / FGCOM_1 on Multiplayer)
TheKezStrel

Previous

Return to FGCom