Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCOM: Audio problem

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

FGCOM: Audio problem

Postby simulant » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi!

I just tried FGCOM: On my laptop and on the gaming PC, I started Flightgear, placed the cessnas both on EDLN, and tuned to 121.92 MHz.
Then I started on both machines the echo test: it worked.
Ok, then, press space and hear: But in neither direction nothing was to hear.

So I started wireshark to see wheather the audio is transmitted. Wireshark allows for sniffing the network traffic and you can save the iax2 autio streams to one file for each direction. I did that. Result: Yes! The audio from the gaming pc reached my laptop and the audio from my laptop was correctly sent to the fgcom asterisk server.
But I could not hear it.

EDIT: Windows 10 on both computers.

Does anyone else do have this or a similar problem?
Any idea what might be the cause?

Best regards,
Simulant.
simulant

Re: FGCOM: Audio problem

Postby ulee61 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi

I have nearly the same problem. Using FG 2019.1.1 on W7.
FGCom works perfectly with the echo test, wireshark shows the traffic.
The PTT feedback [checkbox] while pressing the space key works as well.
Then...switching to "normal", nothing more happens, absolutely no network traffic to the FGCom server.
by the way, the live status page (http://fgcom.flightgear.org/) shows null entries...
Will try later with a UNIX setup.

Best reagrds,
Ulrich
ulee61

Postby ulee61 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi again

Did the test on Ubuntu, FG 2019.1.1exactly the same behavior.
Strange...no idea
ulee61

Postby ulee61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm

General information about FGCom (as far as it seems logical to me...)
Problem: FGCom echo mode and PTT works as expected, but no network traffic (wireshark) when talking over the air.

Assumption 1:
The client already filters radio frequences that are not supported at the current position of the plane ==> no data sent

Assumption 2:
Using a frequance from a nearby tower (for example), upon pressing PTT the channel opens and data flows (wireshark).
After a short moment, the FGCom server disconnects the stream
==> data is only sent when there's at least a second radio/aircraft in the same region on the same frequency

Can someone confirm this behavior?
Thanks
ulee61

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 am

ulee61 wrote in Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm:General information about FGCom (as far as it seems logical to me...)
Assumption 1:
The client already filters radio frequences that are not supported at the current position of the plane ==> no data sent

Assumption 2:
Using a frequance from a nearby tower (for example), upon pressing PTT the channel opens and data flows (

FGCom simulates both range and availability so you will not transmit or receive when out of range or when using a frequency that isn't in range of the tuned frequency; except for the following 'special' frequencies

FGCom is built ontop of asterisk; and thus acts much like a telephone PBX - with the frequencies being mapped to numbers.

So when out of range or no frequency available (and not using special frequency) FGCom will not initiate a call and you will not be visible on http://fgcom.flightgear.org/
Richard

Version: Git

Return to FGCom