Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

New built-in moving map ??? How to install ????  Topic is solved

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

New built-in moving map ??? How to install ????

Postby D-ABBA » Sat May 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Wow a New built-in moving map by Thorsten Renk ???

I will use that but I don´t know how. Who can give me support ???
What to do with Flight Gear (properties, wizard etc). How do I get the installer for Windows.
I use FGFS 3.0.0.

Found on newsletter march 2014...

I use jpmapview since 2011 but for this moving map, I am interested.

D-ABBA
D-ABBA

Callsign: D-ABBA
Version: 2018.3.1

Re: New built-in moving map ??? How to install ????  

Postby Hooray » Sat May 17, 2014 6:40 pm

not in 3.0, not by ThorstenR, but by TorstenD, not integrated, external, it's browser-based (and depends on your internet connection to download those images), - see the newsletter for details.
For an integrated/built-in moving map, your best bet is probably going to be a Canvas-based tiled map, which we've been working towards, it will not (yet) look as fancy as Torsten's moving map, but it can trivially be extended to show web based maps, and even include traffic feeds (AIS/TCAS/ACARS) by adding custom MapStructure layers, which are typically 50 lines of Nasal code.

Subject: NavDisplay & MapStructure discussion (previously via PM)
Hooray wrote:Image

(The C++ code for this will be in 3.2, but the Nasal/MapStructure layers are still experimental (as can be seen)), and we're hoping to provide built-in caching, as well as some other enhancements that are possible through Canvas. The main "disadvantage" in comparison to the browser-based map (or atlas) is that this integrated, i.e. runs in the FG main loop and will affect frame rate and performance.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby D-ABBA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Hello hooray,

Thanks for your responce,

In the meantime, I use the FlightGear version 3.3.0 (Jenkins Windows Nightly # 1720). So I tried the 8080 / gui / map.

How can I use this map on my notebook. My laptop is connected to a local network with the FlightGear computer.

Must then a Property are set ??? Or do you have a tool made ?????

Thank you for your patience ...

D-ABBA
D-ABBA

Callsign: D-ABBA
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:32 pm

See Torsten's postings on the devel list - basically, you only need to start up FlightGear with the --httpd option and then use your browser to connect to localhost and the corresponding port - once that works, you can also access the same services from other computers on the corresponding subnet (e.g. wifi/wlan/lan).
Torsten recently mentioned on the devel list that he's hoping to the see the documentation improved over time - for now, I'd suggest to refer to his postings and examples. You are obviously invited to add those to the wiki to help "kick start" some documentation, I am sure that others will appreciate your efforts and join sooner or later.

Obviously, any connectivity instructions may be affected by your local network/router setup, as well as firewalls etc.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Atlas