Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Navaids visible but Airports not

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Navaids visible but Airports not

Postby metoo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 am

I installed FG 3.0 on Win7 (64bit) then Atlas 0.3.0. FG runs, FG map shows all.
Atlas connects to FG, shows scenery and all navaids, but no airports at all (no names, no symbols, no runways)

For Atlas I set fg-root to point to FG data folder, also tried a separate folder for Atlas with all necessary contents copied over. Same result.

The previous setup of FG 0.9.10 on 32 bit Vista and same Atlas 0.3.0 works fine.

I do not see what to try next...

Any hint appreciated.
metoo

Re: Navaids visible but Airports not

Postby bschack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:51 pm

metoo wrote in Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 am:I installed FG 3.0 on Win7 (64bit) then Atlas 0.3.0. FG runs, FG map shows all.
Atlas connects to FG, shows scenery and all navaids, but no airports at all (no names, no symbols, no runways)

For Atlas I set fg-root to point to FG data folder, also tried a separate folder for Atlas with all necessary contents copied over. Same result.

The previous setup of FG 0.9.10 on 32 bit Vista and same Atlas 0.3.0 works fine.

I do not see what to try next...

Any hint appreciated.

The format for the airports file (apt.dat) has changed, and Atlas 0.3.0 can't read it. This leaves you with 3 choices:

(1) Apply a patch and compile Atlas yourself (the patch is given in an earlier topic in the Atlas forum, although I can't remember which one at the moment)

(2) Use the old apt.dat instead of the new one. I don't know if this will break FlightGear though (note that the file is usually compressed, so it's probably called apt.dat.gz). It might even be possible to make Atlas use the old apt.dat file while FlightGear uses the new one.

(3) Wait for Atlas to get fixed.

Brian
bschack

Postby metoo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 am

Brian,

Thanks a lot for fast answer!
I copied over the old format into a separate structure for Atlas (solution #2), so now FG 3.0 can navigate with Atlas 0.3.0.

Piotr
metoo

Postby agor » Thu May 22, 2014 12:42 pm

@Piotr
Could you be a little bit more specific?
You copied which version of apt.dat where?

PS:
Personally i prefer atlas over JMapView, since i don't need to be connected to the web.
And its my impression is Atlas is consuming fewer resources.

Thanks in advance.
agor

Postby agor » Fri May 23, 2014 7:04 am

Sorry, i rushed into it and i shouldn't, i 'll answer the question in case someone else has a problem.
The data from 2.8 works, here is the procedure:
Unpack the data from 2.8 to your FlightGear folder but don't overwrite your FlightGear/data (or fgdata), instead create a new folder e.g. data1 and copy the files there.
Essentially, you only need the apt.dat, so you should be ok if you delete the rest.
Set your fg-root to your new data1 folder and you are good to go.
agor

Postby agor » Fri May 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Sorry again, you also need ATC, Navaids and Fonts.
agor

Return to Atlas