Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas crashes

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Atlas crashes

Postby sgofferj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:37 am

Hi,

I finally found a working version of Atlas for Opensuse 12.3 at OSBS. However, I do experience a strange crash.

When I try to generate maps from terrasynced scenery, Map creates only maps for the KSFO area. As soon as it reaches the terrasynced area, it crashes:
Code: Select all
Scenery directories: /opt/Terrasync
Map directory: /usr/share/flightgear/Atlas
Trying to read palette file 'default.ap'
Trying to read palette file '/usr/share/flightgear/Atlas/Palettes/default.ap'
Palette file: /usr/share/flightgear/Atlas/Palettes/default.ap
Map sizes: 4 (16x16), 6 (64x64), 8 (256x256), 9 (512x512), 10 (1024x1024)
Scenery: 43 tiles
OpenGL 1.5 supported
OpenGL framebuffer object extension supported
OpenGL framebuffer multisample extension supported
Maximum supported texture/buffer size <= map size: 1024x1024
Map: Subbucket.cxx:192: bool Subbucket::load(Bucket::Projection): Assertion `_chunk.get_tris_v().size() == 0' failed.
e023n59: Aborted

Now, I wrote a small script around GetMap to pull tiles from OSM which worked nicely. I can start Atlas and until zoom level 125, everything works fine. If I try to zoom in further than 125, Atlas crashes with practically the same error:
Atlas: Subbucket.cxx:153: bool Subbucket::load(Bucket::Projection): Assertion `_chunk.get_tris_n().at(i).at(j) == 0' failed.
Aborted

I have no clue, what the problem could be. Any idea, anyone?
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Re: Atlas crashes

Postby macnab » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Using the new scenery?
I get a similar problem under Windows. Atlas crashes trying to generate maps from Terrasync'd files. In mt case, it can't find the btg.gz files.
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby ludomotico » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Not sure if related, but the .btg.gz format kind of changed a year ago. If Atlas is opening some of the new files, it will fail. It won't happen with every tile, only with the most detailed of them. Versions of FlightGear older than 2.11 may show the same crash if they try to use the new scenery.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby sgofferj » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:07 pm

The problem with the Opensuse version (and unfortunately with the git version) is that it relies on a too old simgear. It looks for a whole bunch of libraries, like sgbucket.so which are not present anymore. Somebody probably needs to adapt Atlas to the current version of simgear.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby Johan G » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:36 pm

ludomotico wrote in Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:50 pm:Not sure if related, but the .btg.gz format kind of changed a year ago... Versions of FlightGear older than 2.11 may show the same crash if they try to use the new scenery.

Ah, thanks. I tried to get an answer about that some days ago but did not get a a clear answer to that. :D Unfortunately I am still running 2.4.0 though.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wonko » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm

The topic is not quite fresh anymore but where does one go from here. Does anyone know whether Atlas is still being actively maintained such that there is hope that the update suggested by sgofferj will be carried out. On the sourceforge page of Atlas there seems to be little sign of active development during the last few years (only one message on their developer mailing list in 2013) but the actual source there seems to be the same as available through
git clone http://mapserver.flightgear.org/git/atlas

I find Atlas extremely useful, so it would be nice to get it to work again with the new .btg.gz format. Are the changes hinted at by sgofferj and ludomitico documented anywhere? Unfortunately I have no knowledge whatsovever of the internals of simgear and only superficial knowledge of C++, but it does not sound like these changes would be too difficult to implement for someone familiar with the simgear libraries
wonko

Version: 3.0

Postby ludomotico » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 pm

You can use the multiplayer map, it has nearly all the features Atlas included. You can also connect FlightGear to Marble and I'm sure Google Earth in a similar way. Or you can use professional GPS navigation software like Xample Air Navigation (warning: not free) or Open Aviation Map.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby macnab » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 am

See also this topic:
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3012
But this has no elevation info.
macnab

Postby macnab » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 am

Juat tried Marble. OSM view is fine, but in Atlas or Satellite view, the maximum zoom factor is pretty useless.
macnab

Postby wonko » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will give jmapview a try, but on occasion I need/want to fly offline, and all the suggested alternatives essentially require online access (or some careful cache-filling). Also, the way the beacons adjust to the tuned radials and the position of the plane when connected does not seem to be available for the other alternatives (not sure about jmapview).
I guess a workaround is to download the regular scenery to feed Atlas, and the terrasync scenery for flying but this seems hugely wasteful of bandwidth and disk space.
Last edited by wonko on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
wonko

Postby macnab » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:18 pm

I guess a workaround is to download the regular scenery to feed Atlas, and the terrasync scenery for flying but this seems hugely wasteful of bandwidth and disk space.

The problem with that approach is that there will be a mismatch with roads and railway lines, making VFR flights difficult.
macnab

Postby bschack » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 am

sgofferj wrote in Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:37 am:Hi,

I finally found a working version of Atlas for Opensuse 12.3 at OSBS. However, I do experience a strange crash.

[...]

I have no clue, what the problem could be. Any idea, anyone?

There was a problem with Atlas with the new scenery. I just checked in changes that should fix it, so those of you who are happy with compiling software can check out the latest version from CVS and try it out. I've tested it on a limited subset of scenery - I'd like to do more, but the new scenery is just too big for my machine.

Brian
bschack

Postby Ohty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi
The only way that I've found is to recover an old scenery (2.08 for example), put it in the data folder with a new name (Scenery-208) and modify the FlightGearController.rb file, line 170 :

["--fg-root=./data",
# "--fg-scenery=./data/Scenery",
"--fg-scenery=./data/Scenery-208",
"--palette=./data/Atlas/Palettes/default.ap",

So Atlas is running fine.
iMac, Os X 10.8
Ohty

Postby wonko » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:09 am

I can confirm that Brian's changes seem to have done the trick. On high zoom levels Atlas became a bit laggy on my machine, presumably due to the level of detail in the new scenery, but remained usable. Thanks Brian for fixing this.

For the benefit of those compiling from CVS:
Follow the download instructions on http://atlas.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=cvs.

Only hiccup was that with the standard settings of ./configure the Makefile attempts to link the old version of simgear library, which did not work for me at all (Ubuntu 12), and I needed to use --enable-simgear-shared. With this it used SimgearCore, which worked fine (tested with 2.12.1). So this is the sequence to install from the CVS clone
cd Atlas
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-fgbase=/usr/share/games/flightgear --enable-simgear-shared
make
make install
wonko

Postby rebootl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Hey bschack and wonko

Thanks a lot. Glad to see someone cares for this. :D

About the same as wonko reported, here. Zooming is less a problem than panning (very slow at high zoom levels). Though yes, the new level of detail is very high here too (central europe, switzerland).

I get a few artifacts at higher mountains:
The altitude drops to 0 there...
Just checked and they _are_ in the scenery :shock:

So, I'll report that there and this became another example of how useful Atlas is. Would be great if something could be done about the panning, but I guess it's not so easy... :wink:
rebootl

Next

Return to Atlas