Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

A small help with Atlas

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

A small help with Atlas

Postby Damage Inc » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:20 am

Good evening everyone!(or morning, afternoon).

I've been having some trouble with Atlas recently, I even tried to get the jMap although it didn't work, so I decided to go back to Atlas. The thing is, it doesn't load all the terrain maps that I have(I downloaded the 12GB torrent with all the terrain and have installed them). One of the errors is "Attempting to load old format fixes file instead... load_fixes: Couldn't open "C:\Program Files (86x)\FlightGear\Data\Navaids\default.fix.gz". So yeah, I'm not sure if it's a common error, pretty sure it is, even though I have looked up some posts around before creating a thread about it.

Thanks in advance, Damage Inc
Damage Inc

Re: A small help with Atlas

Postby bschack » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:41 am

This doesn't look like a problem with terrain maps. Is there a folder named C:\Program Files (86x)\FlightGear\Data\Navaids\ on your system? And the error message itself indicates that you are running a very old version of Atlas.

Brian
bschack

Postby Damage Inc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:41 am

Hey Brian! Thanks for you reply. And no there is no \Data\Navaids\ in my system. What could I do to fix that?
Damage Inc

Postby bschack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:55 am

Damage Inc wrote in Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:41 am:Hey Brian! Thanks for you reply. And no there is no \Data\Navaids\ in my system. What could I do to fix that?

What Atlas is looking for is FlightGear's navaid data, which is uses to draw its maps. So, your first task, should you choose to accept it, is to find out where you installed FlightGear, then find the "Data\Navaids" folder. Let me know if you find it, and what the complete file path is, including the drive, etc (eg, C:\Foo\Bar\FlightGear\Data\Navaids\).

Brian
bschack

Postby Damage Inc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Hey Brian, I apparently I was looking at the wrong folders, since my computer is 64x it has some the Data both on the 86x and 64x folders, so yeah. In the 64x there IS a Navaids file in which is located at C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Navaids.
Damage Inc

Postby bschack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 am

Damage Inc wrote in Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:49 pm:Hey Brian, I apparently I was looking at the wrong folders, since my computer is 64x it has some the Data both on the 86x and 64x folders, so yeah. In the 64x there IS a Navaids file in which is located at C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Navaids.

I don't completely understand your reply, but the important thing is that you know the path to the Navaids folder. Now you need to tell Atlas where it is. Usually Atlas can guess, but apparently it can't in this case. To explicitly tell Atlas, you need to use the --fg-root command line option (and I hope you can start Atlas from the command line). Type in something like this:

Atlas.exe --fg-root"C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data"

I say "something", because you'll probably have to adjust it to suit your installation. In particular, you probably need to fully specify where the Atlas executable is. For example, if the Atlas program is in the "Program Files" folder, then you might need to type this:

C:\Program Files\Atlas.exe --fg-root"C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data"

Unfortunately, I'm not a Windows guy, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. There is more detail about running Atlas on the FlightGear Wiki (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Atlas).

Brian
bschack

Return to Atlas