Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Auto-fill oceans  Topic is solved

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Auto-fill oceans

Postby macnab » Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 am

Because terrasync doen't "do" areas which are only open water, we end up with all these white or red blocks in the map. Is there an easier way of filling them with water (unknown) colour than creating empty folders?

It would be nice to be able to center the cross-hairs on an empty block, press a key and, voila, it is filled with water. :)

EDIT: Creating an empty folder doesn't work. Terrasync has to, which it doesn't. :(
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Re: Auto-fill oceans

Postby bschack » Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 am

macnab wrote in Tue May 07, 2013 5:49 am:Because terrasync doen't "do" areas which are only open water, we end up with all these white or red blocks in the map. Is there an easier way of filling them with water (unknown) colour than creating empty folders?

It would be nice to be able to center the cross-hairs on an empty block, press a key and, voila, it is filled with water. :)

Atlas looks for an image called "background.jpg" or "background.png" in its "root" directory ($FG_ROOT/Atlas). It uses this image to paint the globe before it sticks scenery on top. If you just create a very small image that's pure ocean blue, name it "background.png" (for complicated reasons, a PNG image will work better for this purpose than a JPEG), and stick it in $FG_ROOT/Atlas, that will ensure that any place with no scenery will be ocean-coloured.

Brian
bschack

Postby macnab » Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks. I'll keep the original as well. Use the original for finding areas still to get, and the ocean coloured one when flying.

Except I can't find such a file. I installed Atlas 0.5 a complicated way when it first came out. I presume I can create mine and put it in $FG_ROOT\Atlas?
macnab

Postby bschack » Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 pm

macnab wrote in Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 am:Thanks. I'll keep the original as well. Use the original for finding areas still to get, and the ocean coloured one when flying.

Except I can't find such a file. I installed Atlas 0.5 a complicated way when it first came out. I presume I can create mine and put it in $FG_ROOT\Atlas?

Yes. If you want the one Atlas uses by default, go to http://atlas.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/atlas/Atlas/src/data/background.jpg?view=log and click the "download" button.

Brian
bschack

Postby macnab » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks. It's great - at least you can see where there is land to download.
macnab

Return to Atlas