Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Interfacing Atlas with AI traffic

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Interfacing Atlas with AI traffic

Postby Ari » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am

Hi,
I need help on whether is it possible to Visualize AI traffic on Atlas!!!!
Ari

Re: Interfacing Atlas with AI traffic

Postby bschack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Ari wrote in Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 am:Hi,
I need help on whether is it possible to Visualize AI traffic on Atlas!!!!

I've implemented it as a test, but the current release of Atlas doesn't visualize AI traffic.

I'm curious about why you'd like to visualize AI traffic - I also think it would be a cool thing to do, but didn't include it in Atlas because (a) I wasn't sure if anybody would find it useful, and (b) FlightGear doesn't make it easy to find out about all AI traffic. If you give me a good reason for including it, I'll take a look at it again.

By the way, do you really mean AI traffic (the computer-controller planes created by FlightGear) or multi-player traffic (planes flown by other FlightGear users that communicate over the internet)?

Brian
bschack

Postby Ari » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:39 am

Firstly Thanks!!!!!

I know we can see all aircraft on maps provided in Flight gear itself!!!! But i think it would be more realistic if we are able to see all the aircraft simulated in FG on Atlas. I am speaking about only AI traffic.
Ari

Postby bschack » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:44 am

Ari wrote in Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:39 am:Firstly Thanks!!!!!

I know we can see all aircraft on maps provided in Flight gear itself!!!! But i think it would be more realistic if we are able to see all the aircraft simulated in FG on Atlas. I am speaking about only AI traffic.

There are some limitations with what Atlas can display. It knows the aircraft position and attitude, and its callsign, but it doesn't have direct access to the airline or aircraft type (although this can be derived with some extra work). As well, aside from debugging on my part, displaying AI aircraft would require some work on the user's part:

• Install a new network protocol in $FG_ROOT/Protocols
  • Install some new Nasal code in $FG_ROOT/Nasal (or ~/.fgfs/Nasal)
  • Tell FlightGear to broadcast using the new protocol

What do you think the chances are that the typical user would be able to do these things?

Note that if the FlightGear developers were willing, the first two could be made part of the base FlightGear installation, so users would only need to do the third step.

Brian
bschack

Postby Ari » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks!!! a lot for your concern. I hope this feature will be provided in future!!!!
Ari

Return to Atlas