Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Map command

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Map command

Postby santosdumont » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Ubuntu 11.10/FG 2.6.0/Nvidia 8400GS/Atlas 0.3.1-2build1

Installed Atlas from Software Centre & as far as I can see I now need to produce the images from FGFS, command is
Code: Select all
Map --atlas=path/to/images
but what exactly is the target? I tried
Map --atlas=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery
but get
No scenery paths could be found.  You need to set either a valid FG_ROOT and/or FG_SCENERY variable, or specify a valid --fg-root and/or --fg-scenery on the command line.
santosdumont

Re: Map command

Postby polly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Just run the Map command alone to get the help information; the --atlas is the place where the new maps will be stored, to be later specified for Atlas to retrieve from. I think the other argument is --scenery which is the pointer to flightgear scenery for MAP to source its input .
polly

Postby santosdumont » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

I tried that first, but just got this:

~$ Map
Map: Invalid position. Check latitude and longitude.
MAP - FlightGear mapping utility

Usage:
  --lat=xx.xx             Start at latitude xx.xx (deg., south is neg.)
  --lon=xx.xx             Start at longitude xx.xx (deg., west is neg.)
  --size=pixels           Create map of size pixels*pixels (default 256)
  --scale=x               Kilometers from top to bottom of map (default 100)
  --autoscale             Automatically set scale to 1x1 degree tile
  --light=x, y, z         Set light vector for shading
  --airport-filter=string Display only airports with id beginning 'string'
  --output=name           Write output to given file name (default 'map.png')
  --fg-root=path          Overrides FG_ROOT environment variable
  --fg-scenery=path       Overrides FG_SCENERY environment variable
  --enable-airports       Show airports
  --enable-navaids        Show navaids
  --flat-shading          Don't do nice shading of the terrain
  --atlas=path            Create maps of all scenery, and store them in path
  --verbose               Display information during processing
  --singlebuffer          Use single buffered display
  --headless              Don't display output (render into an off-screen buffer)
  --glutfonts             Use GLUT built-in fonts
  --palette=path          Set the palette file to use
  --smooth-color          Make smooth color heights
  --jpeg                  Create JPEG images with default quality (75)
  --jpeg=integer          Create JPEG images with specified quality
  --aafactor=integer      Do antialiasing on image ( factor must be a power of two )

So I still don't really know what command(s) it wants from me!
santosdumont

Postby santosdumont » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Just to recap paths are:

FG_ROOT: /usr/share/games/flightgear
FG_SCENERY: /usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery
FG_EXE: /usr/games/fgfs
ATLAS.EXE: /usr/games/Atlas
Atlas Palette: /usr/share/games/FlightGear/AtlasPalette
Terrasync: /home/paul/terrasync

I've tried:
$ Map --atlas=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery (No scenery paths could be found)
$ Map --atlas=/home/paul/terrasync ditto
$ Map --atlas=/usr/games/Atlas ditto
$ Map --fg-root=/usr/share/games/flightgear/ (Invalid position. Check latitude and longitude)
$ Map --fg-scenery=/home/paul/terrasync ditto
$ Map ditto

Anybody?
santosdumont

Postby 439Tiger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Specializing in Canadian built aircraft and aircraft flown by the RCAF

http://www.flightgearcanada.ca/ or: https://sites.google.com/site/flightgearcanada/
439Tiger

Callsign: C-CYSG
Version: 2.10.03

Postby santosdumont » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Unfortunately they seem more Windows orientated, I just need to know (a) what should the correct linux Map command be to load the info into Atlas, and (b) if what I have tried is in fact correct, why doesn't it work?
santosdumont

Postby santosdumont » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Continued.....I uninstalled & installed CVS version from http://atlas.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=cvs into /usr/share/games/flightgear but when I get to ./configure I get error message
You *must* have the SimGear support library installed on your system to build Atlas!
, however I have both simgear 2.0.0 AND 2.6.0 in usr/share/doc so another brick wall, but I imagine there's a simple solution (if only someone would tell me what it is!).
santosdumont

Postby santosdumont » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Uninstalled simgear 2.0.0.
Discovered option --with-simgear=prefix so tried sudo ./configure --with-simgear=/usr/share/doc but still doesn't find it!
santosdumont

Postby AndersG » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 pm

It is most unlikely that the simgear header files and libraries are below /usr/share/doc as that is very much not the place to install such things. In the case of a "distro-packaged" simgear the prefix is most likely just /usr (usually with the simgear headers in /usr/include/simgear/ and the library files in /usr/lib/). If you indeed are using a packaged simgear - have you installed the simgear-dev (or similar) package?

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby bschack » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 pm

santosdumont wrote in Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:49 pm:Just to recap paths are:

FG_ROOT: /usr/share/games/flightgear
FG_SCENERY: /usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery
FG_EXE: /usr/games/fgfs
ATLAS.EXE: /usr/games/Atlas
Atlas Palette: /usr/share/games/FlightGear/AtlasPalette
Terrasync: /home/paul/terrasync

I've tried:
$ Map --atlas=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery (No scenery paths could be found)
$ Map --atlas=/home/paul/terrasync ditto
$ Map --atlas=/usr/games/Atlas ditto
$ Map --fg-root=/usr/share/games/flightgear/ (Invalid position. Check latitude and longitude)
$ Map --fg-scenery=/home/paul/terrasync ditto
$ Map ditto

Anybody?

How about

$ Map --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery

The resulting maps will be placed into /usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas. If you want to specify a non-default place to put the rendered maps, add the '--atlas=<maps>' flag.

Brian
bschack

Postby santosdumont » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 pm

To make this even more exciting I now have 2 versions on laptop and PC, both running Ubuntu 11.10 & FGFS 2.6.0.

On the PC I've dowloaded simgear from software sources and the CVS version of Atlas, the problem being I can't configure it as it doesn't seem to be able to find simgear, folder simgear2.6.0 is definitely in /usr/share/doc & contains changelog.Debian.gz, changelog.gz, copyright, NEWS.gz, and README files. There are a number of libsg files in /usr/lib. Whatever I try I get You *must* have the SimGear support library installed on your system to build Atlas!

On laptop I installed both Atlas & Simgear from software sources, folders & files as above but can't get Map to work as it seems unable to find FG scenery. I tried Map --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery but still get Invalid position. Check latitude and longitude.
santosdumont

Postby bschack » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm

santosdumont wrote in Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:12 pm:On laptop I installed both Atlas & Simgear from software sources, folders & files as above but can't get Map to work as it seems unable to find FG scenery. I tried Map --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery but still get Invalid position. Check latitude and longitude.

Oops, I didn't notice that you were using an old version of Map. With that version, I think you must specify the '--atlas' flag. This flag tells Map where to put its completed maps, and can be anything you want. However, by default Atlas will look in $FG_ROOT/Atlas (if I remember correctly). So, as an example, try doing this:

Map --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery --atlas=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas

Of course, the directory you specify must exist, so you might need to create it first.

Brian
bschack

Postby santosdumont » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Close, but no cigar! running Map --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery --atlas=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas opens a window that scrolls through some tiles but for each one I get

WARNING: fntLoadTXF: Failed to open '/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Fonts/helvetica_medium.txf' for reading.
OutputGL::closeOutput: can't create '/usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas/w050s30.png'

the catch being that Fonts is in flightgear not FlightGear. There is a folder /usr/share/games/FlightGear but this only contains AtlasPalette file, so how to persuade Map to look in the right folder?
santosdumont

Postby santosdumont » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:04 pm

P.S. I tried copy & pasting Fonts into FlightGear but now I get OutputGL::closeOutput: can't create '/usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas/w007n55.png' for each tile
santosdumont

Postby bschack » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm

santosdumont wrote in Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm:Close, but no cigar! running Map --fg-scenery=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Scenery --atlas=/usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas opens a window that scrolls through some tiles but for each one I get

WARNING: fntLoadTXF: Failed to open '/usr/share/games/FlightGear/Fonts/helvetica_medium.txf' for reading.
OutputGL::closeOutput: can't create '/usr/share/games/flightgear/Atlas/w050s30.png'

the catch being that Fonts is in flightgear not FlightGear. There is a folder /usr/share/games/FlightGear but this only contains AtlasPalette file, so how to persuade Map to look in the right folder?

You have to make sure that whatever you give to Map in the --atlas and --fg-scenery options actually exists. If you say --fg-scenery=/foo/Bar/bling, then you must have a directory /foo/Bar/bling, and it must contain scenery. Note that on Linux, file and directory names are case-sensitive. If you say --atlas=/Blah/bleep/Atlas then you must have a directory /Blah/bleep (in this case, Map will try to create the 'Atlas' part).

So, check your paths to make sure they exist. I suspect there's just a confusion between case - do you have directories named 'flightgear' or 'FlightGear'?

Brian
bschack

Next

Return to Atlas