Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas-like application on Android

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Re: Atlas-like application on Android

Postby pommesschranke » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:20 am

Turning off the Fullscreen Option fixes the problem.
(but title-bar and the bottom-bar stay on, so there is less space
left for the panel)

Turning off "Center the instruments" does not help.

The tablet has Android 4.0.3
Autohiding the bar when an app goes fullscreen is default and I can't find an option to turn that off.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby ludomotico » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:40 pm

welias, I don't know what's happening. There is not any device filter or any special requirement (apart from the obvious "a wifi connection") I'm afraid I'd need physical access to your device to trace down the error. Do you have any programming skills? Can you install an Eclipse+Android SDK environment on your PC?

pommesschranke, an auto-hiding bottom bar was a long demanded feature in Android 4.x. As far as I know, it was not included on the base system as it is provided only by third party tools. On all my devices using 4.x, this bar does not auto-hide. The bar is never present on my devices using 2.3. I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this bug on my devices. At the time being, you'll have to use the application in non-fullscreen mode. I'm sorry :(
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby pommesschranke » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:59 am

I recently discovered the radio-panel in your app - very nice !
I'd prefer, that a (standby) frequency gets deleted when I touch it,
so i can enter an new one witout the "C" Button - just a little convenience thing.

What I really really like to have - and maybe we can work together on that:
a PFD like Boing & Airbus have it.
I guess we can use some of the B747-400 canvas PFD graphic & code to get started.

another idea is a MCP (autopilot) settings screen similar to your radio-panel

are you interested ?
pommesschranke

Postby ludomotico » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:32 pm

I agree with you, pommesschranke, it is better if the stb frequency is deleted when selected. It is already in the top ten list of the necessary changes.

I'm afraid a PFD for airliners is not going to be possible soon. In fact, most of the code is already there, half of the panel is coded (and working!) but it is not complete and hence it cannot be selected from the panel list. I'm afraid I don't have the time or interest to code a glass panel, since I only fly propeller aircrafts.

Autopilot for propellers is another feature for the next version. We had some discussions about how implement this (see the nasal sub-forum) At the time being, it is going to be possible to support one or two aircrafts but not all of them. I'm thinking about the B1900D and the SenecaII. The autopilot on the 337 is not the best and won't be implemented.

If you know how to code in Android, in github you can find the last version of the code. It includes a new panel for the B1900D, the first version of a PFD and some minor bug fixes.

At the end of the day, I always prefer flying and not coding!
ludomotico

Postby pommesschranke » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:48 pm

ludomotico wrote in Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:32 pm:In fact, most of the code is already there, half of the panel is coded (and working!)
If you know how to code in Android, in github you can find the last version of the code. It includes a new panel for the B1900D, the first version of a PFD and some minor bug fixes.

oh, that's interesting.
I'll have a look at it.
pommesschranke

Postby wlbragg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 am

I'm running FGRun 1.6.0 in Linux (Ubuntu 13.10) and in the "Generic" drop down under the Input/Output section of the Advanced button there is no andatlas selection. Is there a way to add that selection to the drop down population or another way to add the whole string to fgrun? Also where do you add the --telnet=9000?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Gijs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:33 am

Follow the instructions at http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGearMap#Use (you need to download andatlas.xml;.see the.screenshot of FGRun on the right for the correct telnet settings).
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Gijs. I did refer to the link prior to asking this question. I guess I didn't explain my question effectively.

The docs say
(when using FGRun, this can be set via Advanced > Input/Output. See figure.).

My version of FGRun on Ubuntu does not have the andatlas choice in the populated list of choices for Input/Output.
Also it doesn't state where to put the --telnet=9000 line, only to add it to the command line options, where?

I looked high and low as to how to do this and I came to the conclusion that in my case I either run from the command line startup using something like a .fgfsrc file (which I tried and fgfs failed to use those setting, I guess it didn't find them by default like it said it would). But I digress as I want to use FGRun to accomplish this task anyway as, according to the documentation, it should be able to do this. Is there a generic command line input field hidden somewhere in FGRun that you can add one or both of the above needed commands?
wlbragg

Postby ludomotico » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:02 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:24 pm:My version of FGRun on Ubuntu does not have the andatlas choice in the populated list of choices for Input/Output.

And it won't have the choice until you download andatlas.xml from the link in the article and save it in FG_ROOT/Protocols, as the article says :)

Also it doesn't state where to put the --telnet=9000 line, only to add it to the command line options, where?

You are right, --telnet=9000 is the option to add in the command line. In FGRun, you can use Advance Settings->Input/Output and enter the parameters as shown in the figure:

(Press "New" and then)
Protocol: telnet
Medium: socket
Direction: in
Hz: 5 (maybe 10 is a better option)
Hostname: (empty)
port: 9000
TCP

The final line must be, as shown in the figure, --telnet=socket,in,5,,9000,tcp This is completely equivalent to --telnet=9000

If you find the information in the article confusing, it is my fault. If the system finally works on your PC, please, feel free to improve the description for future users.
ludomotico

Postby Gijs » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:51 pm

And I apologise for not making it clear that I answered both your problems between the brackets ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:03 am

Geniuses, all of you!

My first mistake was I didn't catch the andatlas.xml in FG_ROOT/Protocols. I had it in FG_ROOT. Now I also know the Input/Output can be used for a very wide variety of "Input/Output".

It is working fine with the new Nexus7 (2013 ver). Very nice!

Thank you!
wlbragg

Postby StevePER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 pm

I just discovered this app and really like the idea. Unfortunately the map doesn't seem to be working, I can only see a grid background. I see the same thing on my Galaxy S3 and my Nexus 5.
StevePER

Postby ludomotico » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm

This is probably related to the external storage. The map library (osmdroid) needs external storage (a SD card, for example) for the tile cache. If the external storage is not available, the map is shown as a grid.

("external storage" is a term used by Android to refer to any directory without reading/writing restrictions. It includes unprotected areas of the internal memory as well as SD cards)

The external storage won't be available and the map will be shown as a grid in these cases:

- There is not a SD card, or the library cannot identify the SD card. This may happen in very recent versions of Android. I don't have any device running Android 4.4, so I'll need your help to check if this is the case.
- The SD card or the internal memory is full. I cannot help you with this :)
- The SD card/external storage is not available to any application on the mobile phone because it is mounted by another system. Typically, this happens if you connect the device to a PC using a USB cable. If you are using a USB cable, please, unplug and test again.

I have pending an update of the application from months ago. I really hope to test the new version and push the update during this weekend. Particularly, airports and navaids are now displayed on the map.
ludomotico

Postby StevePER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 pm

That was a quick reply! The features in the update sounds great, and I would also like to try the B1900D panel mentioned earlier in this thread.

The Nexus 5 runs Android 4.4 and has no external SD card. There is plenty of free internal memory however. I'm happy to help with testing.

The Galaxy S3 runs Android 4.1.2. There is 2.7G free on the external SD card and 3.9G free on the internal storage. Still no maps though. :(
StevePER

Postby ludomotico » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Could you test if this app shows any map? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... g.osmdroid

This is a demo application using the same libraries I'm using in FlightGearMap. Of course, it cannot be connected to FlightGear :) If this application shows a map, then there is a problem in my code.
ludomotico

PreviousNext

Return to Atlas