Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Atlas-like application on Android

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Re: Atlas-like application on Android

Postby m1ndgames » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am

i tried to test it, but the app cant connect, after it fails to connect, it tells me to connect to 192.168.1.200 all the time, but ive put 192.168.1.50 in config..?!

is this ip hardcoded?
FGjobs - Virtual Airlines & Jobs Service Tool
m1ndgames

Callsign: m1ndDE
IRC name: m1ndgames
Version: 2.6

Postby ludomotico » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Sorry for not being online these days.

There are two IPs involved: the one in the config is the IP of the PC that runs FlightGear (in your case, the PC seems to be at 192.168.1.50) This IP is used to send data from the mobile phone to FlightGear: switches and the selected radial in the VOR. The other address is the IP of your mobile phone (in your case, the mobile phone seems to be at 192.168.1.200). It is used to receive most of the information. You'll have to configure this IP in the FlightGear that runs on your PC.

To do this, add the parameters that FlighGearMap shows to FlightGear. How to add these parameters to the FlightGear that runs in your PC depends on the launcher that you use to run FlightGear. For example, if you use FGRun or FGo!, there is a text field for this in the "advance settings" tab, as gigirock explains.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Mikolas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Hello Ludomotico,
In git master, the ADF indicator was not defined. Adding "/instrumentation/adf/rotation-deg" in the creation of the surface (in line 64 of Cessna172.java) allows ADF indicator to be calibrated and sent to plane.
Is there a way to propose you some commit to git ? Currently the project seems to be read-only.

Do you plan to implement a Radio and AP panel for the cessna172 ?
I think it would be very useful for those who (like me) have not a real FGPanel.
This would allow using the table as an AP or a Radio device, using the valuable tactile interface.

By the way, thank you for your work :)
Regards
Miko
Mikolas

Callsign: Miko
Version: 2.4.0

Postby ludomotico » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Mikola, if you are using the git version maybe you noticed that I'm working on an advanced avionics panel. So this is a very convenient moment to include any enhancements to the application.

I think that I cannot configure a github repository to be completely public. Thus, I believe that I need your github username to add you as a contributor to the project.

I'm not planning to include radio/AP panel. I estimate that it is a considerable amount of work. Since configuring radio controls is something that is used only from time to time, I'm satisfied with the radio panel that FlightGear includes (key F12) and I prefer investing that time flying :)
ludomotico

Postby Mikolas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes the advanced cockpit is very nice. Once I've correctly set up my firewall, all switches were working good :)

Concerning the Radio Panel, the one displayed on FlightGear needs to be used though keyboard. This is far from reality.
In a panel with rotaries and push buttons on a tactile tablet, we would have a virtual cockpit, interacting with only one finger.
While flying, my right hand is on stick. And this is my right hand I use naturally for keyboard typing. So to use F12 Radio Panel, I have to release the stick...
Even using the mouse on FG's 3D cockpit panel, it is still far from what could be a real cockpit.

Using the several Surface classes you created, it seems to me there is no technical difficulties left to code this... but indeed it would be a long work.

(I've just created a user in github : mikolas31. But here my contribution will be very small, I've juste changes on line actually !)

I have another question concerning the target Android version. Why do you set min android version to 2.1.x ?
Do you have some statistics on the version your users have ?
I guess most tablets can now be upgraded to 4.x... and, from ICS, some great improvements in UI would make rotations and multitouch interactions much easier.
Mikolas

Callsign: Miko
Version: 2.4.0

Postby ludomotico » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Yesterday, I trained on a real C172 for the first time. I must admit that the radio panel is still the lesser of my concerns ;)

The different surfaces should be enough for most of the instruments on a radio panel. The major task would be the artwork.

According to the statistics provided by Google, there are one thousand users of the application. About 40% of the installations are on Android 4; 33% on Android 2.3 (this includes my mobile phone) and about 3% on Android 2.1. In fact, you will find users asking for 2.1 support in this very thread.

Currently, I'm working on a glass panel for a generic aircraft. This is the current state of the panel. It is working, but as you can see the artwork is not the best. You can find the current version that includes this panel in github.

ludomotico

Postby Gijs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Ah, that's an interesting new feature! Will it also be available (full screen) for small phone screens? Looking forward to it!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby penta » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 pm

I've just installed this app on my xperia X8 with android 2.1 and I must say that it is really functional: many thanks for your work! Is it possible to zoom in and out the map?
penta

Postby Gijs » Sat May 18, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Ludo,

just installed the new version this morning. Great work on the new instruments! It's a real pleasure to watch everything rotate and move while I fly around. The touch support of some of the instruments is also very clever :-)

Nevertheless I do have a small list of issues that I encountered:
- lighting switch states aren't sent to FlightGear (I suppose that's because andatlas.xml doesn't include them?). I had the wrong IP setting in the app's menu.
- the public transport map displays white tiles with an error "The map is designed for online use."
- MapQuest Aerial displays nothing (just the grey grid)
- when zooming in/out, the map first centers to Russia, before it focuses on the aircraft position.

Despite those flaws, it's still a lovely app! Thanks a lot for all the hard work that you've put in it!

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks for your comments, Gijs. I'll check these bugs. Public transport and MapQuests maps are out of my control, if the map source is not available I'll have to remove them from the list of available map types. The map centering on Russia is strange. Nothing wrong with Russia, but I cannot imagine why it is centering over there. Maybe it is just the tile cache doing weird cache-things? I'll check this out.
ludomotico

Postby Hooray » Sat May 25, 2013 6:45 pm

Subject: Atlas-like application on Android
ludomotico wrote:In my experience, I found that using telnet to stream data from fgfs to the remote application was too slow to be usable. Using telnet, you can read or write data about twice a second, just as the documentation says, and trying a shorter update period blocks the client. 2Hz may be suitable for showing the position of the plane on a map or change switches, but it is clearly not enough for instruments. Figuring out a way to solve this limitation was the main reason for the long delay in the last update of my application.

Thus, I'm using UDP for fast downstream communication (instruments, position, engines...), and telnet for the slower upstream communication (instrument calibration and switches), that is something that is expected that the pilot does just once in a while. I was not able to push data into fgfs using UDP and a custom protocol: it is documented in README.IO and README.protocol, but I wasn't able to have that bit working.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Talk:FlightGearMap
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Telnet_usage ... nsubscribe

That is not to say that the telnet protocol couldn't be improved or made faster - people using it, are in an excellent position to leave feedback and request improvements, please use the issue tracker: https://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bu ... %20request
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 28, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks for your comments, Hooray. I'll check the subscribe method for the next iteration of the application.
ludomotico

Postby loveflying » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:11 pm

heya, iv got telnet setup like it tells me and the map works but the radio doesn't, it just says cant find connection on the radio panel, please help
loveflying

Postby ludomotico » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 am

loveflying, have you introduced your computer's IP address in the settings menu of FlighGearMap?
ludomotico

Postby loveflying » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:28 am

yep because the map n all the other things work just the radio stack doesnt
loveflying

PreviousNext

Return to Atlas