Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

Install Atlas on Win7 x64

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

Install Atlas on Win7 x64

Postby alefn91 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:40 am

Hi

I have been trying to run Atlas on my win7, but it doesnt work. I followed the details on the wiki.flightgear.org site, but didnt work. I can't pass the part when in cmd I have to input the command:

map --size=256 --atlas=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Atlas

It just doesnt recognize it. it says MAP IS NOT AN INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMAND.and when i open atlas, it doesnt show the plane's current location.
I even changed at the begining WIN32 to WIN64.

these are the pc details:
-win 7 ver 6.1
-x64

Thanks in advance
alefn91

Re: Install Atlas on Win7 x64

Postby sshhaabb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:23 am

Same here.
sshhaabb

Issues Installing Atlas 0.3.0

Postby ryuji_sakata » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 am

These are my specs:
FG Version 2.8.0.5

I am attempting to perform the create maps stage of the install of Atlas using the wiki tutorial here... http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Atlas

I have installed Atlas to C:\Program Files\Flight Gear which of course is where i have my flight gear version installed.
Now moving on to the issue im having creating the maps.

I am unable to run the line...
Code: Select all

After attempting this line i receive this from the command window..
" 'map' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Any suggestions?
ryuji_sakata

Callsign: N390AR
Version: Win

Re: Issues Installing Atlas 0.3.0

Postby Johan G » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm

ryuji_sakata wrote in Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 am:I am unable to run the line...

After attempting this line i receive this from the command window..
" 'map' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

If you specify the entire path to "map.exe" it should work. The error message you are getting indicates that Windows is looking for the executable in the same directory from which you run it.

The paths of the directories in which the usual DOS commands resides are included in a system variable ($PATHS ?) that Windows looks through when trying to execute a command.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wrench11062 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Hello,
This is my 4th attempt to post a reply, keep getting bumped off when I switch to a different view to look at a file.
The main problem with Atlas on Win 7 is the path ways with spaces in them.
So use " , at the begining of a path way the has spaces and end it with " . example= "C:\program files\flightgear\data" Ok?

The switches --Atlas --palettes --airplane do not need the above.
I do not use the GUI's or the supplied atlas.cmd file. (Even with FGCOM, the gui's for this program work fine in XP, but not WIN7)
When you get involved you will see encoded errors that show path ways that don not contain spaces and start at the root of the C drive.
Smart way and an OLD way dating from DOS days. Or dinosaur days. No nested \directories to weed thru, quick and faster etc.

Not more than one space between --switches.......... ok?

Get the 0.5.0 version which has the added version switch. ( and when invoked shows 0.4.9)
I also got the version to compile also, and used the fonts and default.ap etc......

Get the updated 0.5.0 version of Atlas and the the version to compile to rape and pilage etc
Unpack and put the EXE's in the flightgear\bin\win32 thats all the Atlas and Map exe's.
Make a new directory : Atlas, example: C:\program files\flightgear\data\Atlas
Under the Atlas directory make also a Fonts dir and Palettes dir. (these are where you put the files you took from the build version)
I also for general purpose put some of em in the root of the Atlas dir. like default.ap

Now to build your scenery files with the MAP command.
Same rules about spaces exactly in pathways names.
Map will make 4 more directories in the Atlas directory, consisting of different resolution png's or peg's (you pick), for zooming when usin Atlas. :)

Map will either work fine or make only so many scenery png's and error out. Not sure the exact cause, lets just say, I won't need a barber for a year tryin to get this to work.
But I fudged it and worked around the problem area here. Seems some of the scenery files Map just don't like...... So, ok, don't use em. I tried downloading new ones
and still, Map does'nt want them. Just errors out. --force helps here, like OB-WAN told me. :)
So, I fired up Atlas and looked at what I had and what I don't have.. Then slowly but surely I copied what I did'nt have (scenery files) to another directory and edited my
Map.cmd file to reflect where, what pathway wise etc and had Map build the pngs from that point till I filled up 90% of Atlas's World.

And it works just fine for me. Atlas is a work in progress and is a must have if you like Flightgear or serious about it. The graphics and bells and whistles are out of this
world!!!

When it don't work right go to the Dos command window and read it to find out why........ syntax, pathways, to many spaces
I still get errors and complaints about airplane and default.ap etc, but Atlas works fine..
One last part.
When fired up minimize the command window for Atlas and the graph window. Maximize the Atlas main window. click on accept and ok for the port, then deselect and then
accept/select again and ok for port to get you zeroed in on where you are in Flightgear. Make sure you cfg flightgear wizard menu localhost 5500 and add the atlas prop also in advance properties.
I have seen no loss of power with flightgear using both at the same time at all.
But their are the butts also. :)

And do like Luke did, use the FORCE!!
Prime example of what happens when you put a monkey in a capsule full of buttons and switches...Now, wheres that damn banana?...
wrench11062

Callsign: Tchaser/CrshLdr
Version: Git 64Bit

Postby Kabuki » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am

Glad to know you're not getting it to work, because I almost got sucked into trying again. I've never gotten it to do anything but load the local scenery.

I've had better luck with the google maps/earth API. If you use flighgear's httpd server, you can get it to move a map around, or the google earth API. Skyvector.com also uses the google maps API to present actual aeronautical charts -- and you can also get flightgear to talk to that.

But I guess I'm off-topic here.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby wrench11062 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:12 am

Kabuki wrote in Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am:Glad to know you're not getting it to work, because I almost got sucked into trying again. I've never gotten it to do anything but load the local scenery.

I've had better luck with the google maps/earth API. If you use flighgear's httpd server, you can get it to move a map around, or the google earth API. Skyvector.com also uses the google maps API to present actual aeronautical charts -- and you can also get flightgear to talk to that.

But I guess I'm off-topic here.

Sorry, But IT is working for me Not 100% but a good 90%. But thanx for the info on the other ways. The only advantage Atlas would have on your options is that its
not gonna require another internet connection. At least thats what I see from 1st glance. Its already got the info on your hd. Saving power and all etc. :)
I have looked at Skyvector and Have an account with Navgraph, but you cannot beat on the fly actual flying with all you want Nav info Atlas has.
I got it to work, and with some patience and time you should be able to. Look at my OB-wan post here and see what Atlas has.

I am a Retired x USAF wrench, post your Atlas and Map command lines and let me see em. I will do what I can. Getting ready to move this week, from Culver City L.A. Ca,
to about 6 blocks from 24r and 24L of KLAX :)
Wrench11062
8)
Prime example of what happens when you put a monkey in a capsule full of buttons and switches...Now, wheres that damn banana?...
wrench11062

Callsign: Tchaser/CrshLdr
Version: Git 64Bit

Postby Kabuki » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:59 am

wrench11062 wrote in Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:12 am:
Sorry, But IT is working for me Not 100% but a good 90%. But thanx for the info on the other ways. The only advantage Atlas would have on your options is that its not gonna require another internet connection.

That's actually a major advantage to me lately, so I'm trying again, and have made a little progress. I've gotten it to generate a bunch of .png image maps after NOT using the installer's default directory. The command line that that's installed (the startup icon) had to be modfied from
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear\bin\Win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\Data"

to

"C:\Program Files\FlightGear\bin\Win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\Data" "--path=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Atlas"  --udp=5500

And now it WILL track the plane, BUT it's not showing any of the terrain .png files (except the default SF area), so it seems that what I need to do is figure out where to put those .png files. Also, there are no error messages when it runs. I've tried hitting 't' to toggle display of the map, and it will hide and show
the default SF area map, but nothing else.

wrench11062 wrote in Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:12 am:I have looked at Skyvector and Have an account with Navgraph, but you cannot beat on the fly actual flying with all you want Nav info Atlas has.
I got it to work, and with some patience and time you should be able to. Look at my OB-wan post here and see what Atlas has.

Well, I'm further along that I've ever been so far, and I'm guessing that if I could just figure out which directory to put the .png maps, I'll be in business.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Atlas installer worked? Aw...
Kabuki

Postby Andrew Bailey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 am

Mine seems to work OK with the .png maps in c:\program files\flightgear\data\atlas\lowres

I have also modified the properties of the atlas shortcut (target settings) to be: "C:\Program Files\FlightGear\bin\Win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear\Data" --udp=5500

Hope this helps
Andrew Bailey

Postby Kabuki » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 pm

I managed to get it going, but then found that some, many, or all of the keyboard controls don't work as advertised. E.g. I couldn't get it to stop auto-centering on the aircraft in order to pan around. The effort in to effort out ratio wasn't that great, so I lost interest.
Kabuki

Postby macnab » Sun May 05, 2013 7:28 am

My Map.exe works 100% with the terrasync folder. With the France-850 and Spain/Portugal folders it crashes after creating a few files. Pity there are no usable error messages.

And seeing as the people went to a lot of trouble to put the roads in the correct place, it's important to use Atlas with files generated from the scenery you are flying.
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby rachengold » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Actual location / movement of plane is not showing on Atlas.

Installing was ok.
Running Atlas shows maps.
But obviously Atlas cannot get the movements of the plane in flightgear.

Giving the recommended "127.0.0.1" as Hostname, nothing is displayed.
Giving "localhost" as Hostname, as done automatically after installing, maps are shown, but without plane-movement.

As it seems, Atlas and flight gear do not have the same Host / port ?

Any idea ???

PC-Details:
Windows 7 / 64
Flight Gear 2.10.0.3
rachengold

Postby macnab » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 am

If the new version of Atlas:
Run Atlas first, then FG
Enable the checkbox for Atlas
localhost 5500
When FG is running and settled
In Atlas:
Click Attach
Port should be 5500
Click Ok
Click Center
macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby rachengold » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:41 pm

sorry, but there is nothing to "attach" in ATLAS.

i use ATLAS 0.3.0
rachengold

Return to Atlas