Board index FlightGear Development Nasal

Is there interest in a Nasal introduction?

Nasal is the scripting language of FlightGear.

Re: Is there interest in a Nasal introduction?

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Actually, the wiki is fairly intuitive now and definitely MUCH better than anything we've had before.

Seriously, try to be careful about your wording: Pretty much anything FG related you see, means that someone has probably spent huge amounts of time on it. In this case, it was Gijs who improved the wiki structure significantly and who came up with the portal-based structure, IIRC.

This is not to say that there's no room for improvement though. We have many FG related parts and areas where improvements would be appreciated, but please realize that even something that may "truly suck" in your opinion is almost surely much better than the previous state of affairs, and that a number of volunteers spent quite some time coming up with it in the first place.

If you think you can contribute to the wiki (or anything else actually), you can get in touch with Gijs and discuss your suggestions, I have made countless suggestions related to the wiki and the forum, and most of them were implemented pretty quickly. But obviously your ideas should "fit" into the bigger picture, and ideally you'd also be offering your support, too.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby sgofferj » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:02 am

Well, yeah, I might be a bit to straightforward sometimes. Never have been the diplomatic type :). But again, I don't mean to diminish anyones work and it might of course well be, that I'm the only one who sees things this way.

I hate to contradict you again but IMHO the Wiki is not intuitive at all. It might be, once you are familiar with Flightgear and know what you are looking for but for the new user, I find it very complex and unclear.
For example, I find the assignment of the portals by "user-type" rather unpractical. At least additionally, there should be portals by "what do you want to do". Just as an example, there is a "user" portal and a "pilot" portal. One could argue that a user of a flightsim qualifies as a pilot. Or is this pointed to real world pilots? Then the topics are not exactly suitable as they are more for absolute beginners which don't know anything. I'm not sure if you get my point... My bottom line is that in 9 out of 10 cases when I was looking for specific information from the Wiki, I couldn't find it because there was no accessible index and/or I didn't know the right keywords to search for. In all of those cases, the information was, however, there as it turned out by mostly you pointing me at it.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby Thorsten » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:39 am

I would put a box with quicklinks to the most important topics to the left.

Define 'most important'.

And do it in a way that all other wiki users agree with. Naturally, what I find most important is what I'd like to know this very moment I search the wiki. Unfortunately, that definition shifts.

It might be, once you are familiar with Flightgear and know what you are looking for but for the new user, I find it very complex and unclear.

Yes, I agree with you. It's a wiki - everyone edits in what he thinks is relevant in the way he thinks it's presented best. Or the way he can manage. In my case, I'm struggling to keep an up-to-date documentation of what I do (a whopping 50 days after Local Weather 1.4 appeared on GIT, I started updating the readme). I have close to zero time to keep all related wiki page up to date, much less to care about accessibility for a new user. I suspect it's not much easier for other developers. So, I code stuff, I write a readme to document it because I am the only person able to do this. From there, someone else can take over and make it more accessible for all I care, but I consider my duty done when the documentation is written.

So - if you understood or found a topic and think the presentation could be better, go edit the wiki to make it better, don't complain that someone else didn't do it the way you like.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Well, the nice thing about the wiki (and the portal-based structure) is that anybody can go ahead and create a different portal or structure. This is exactly how Gijs started, too: He implemented his suggestions next to the existing structure. You wouldn't be deleting anything, you'd just create a new page with your "ideal" layout and appearance.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Time permitting, I am going to clean up the main Nasal article during the weekend: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Nasal
The goals will be to split up the huge article and move it into tiny pages with specific topics/purposes.

I would like the structure to be aimed at non-programmers, so that they can incrementally build up all required knowledge to learn more about scripting.

I have created a new navigation template here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Template:Nasal_Navigation

It's a draft and still needs more input, any ideas or suggestions? Please post them here or just go ahead and edit the template!

I still need to incorporate this: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Nasal_introduction
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

I have started splitting the main Nasal article, and moved sections to separate articles.
If anybody disagrees with my edits, or if anybody wants to revert them, this is the latest umodified revision: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php?ti ... ldid=53140
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to Nasal