Board index FlightGear Development Nasal

Spoken ATC

Nasal is the scripting language of FlightGear.

Re: Spoken ATC

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 pm

the AI traffic system, and especially its route manager/autopilot are unfortunately implemented as "black boxes", so while implementing the scripting side is really easy, what is needed for that to be possible is that the C++ exposes the relevant information either via some kind of dedicated Nasal API or via corresponding properties in the tree, so that the script can access that information.

Likewise, the transponder is easy, but making it play nicely with the rest of the hard-coded code does again require an interfacing mechanism, so that it doesn't pick a number that is already in use, but also so that the C++ code is aware of transponder numbers used by scripted ai traffic
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby rleibner » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 pm

From Nasal it is possible to see the AI traffic in the vicinity of the airport (in fact, it is yet done for Spoken_GCA).
Following their trajectory I think it is possible to guess their intentions and populate "/sim/sound/voices/atc" with messages. Both, AI plane requesting clearances and ATC giving instructions.
By now, only an idea.
In order to not mess the intelligibility of the radio, I would like to differentiate the voices. (male/female, pitch, some background noise, etc).
And I'm not sure how to do it.

Regarding the transponder, I have not experience ITRW other than domestic VFR.
Would it be okay to assign 1200 to any light aircraft?
And a random squawk to others?
May be someone can enlighten me.
Rodolfo
Non-shared knowledge is lost knowledge
rleibner

Callsign: CX-BEX
Version: 2180.4.0

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm

If you'd like the hard-coded AI system to expose additional information via the property tree, the right place to file a corresponding feature request would be the devel list and/or the issue tracker at: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby RobAndrew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Okay, thanks very much for the replies. It's also occurred to me that this system doesn't like any airports frequencies being the same when it comes to twr/ app/dep. If they are and it requests you to contact the other frequency, it will mention "contact XXX at "." " I'm not a user of nasal and haven't ever touched it. Is there a way for this to be solved?

Thanks in advanced
RobAndrew

Version: 2017.3.1

Previous

Return to Nasal