Board index FlightGear Development Nasal

Pausing briefly in order for property change to catch up

Nasal is the scripting language of FlightGear.

Pausing briefly in order for property change to catch up

Postby wonko » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Is there a nasal command to pause briefly for a set time interval in ? I did a quick google search but could not find anything.

Background:

I am trying to set up some joystick buttons for controlling the KAP140 autopilot. In particular, two buttons are used to control the vertical velocity. For example, the script for the down button looks like this:
Code: Select all
kap140.downButton();
         if ( getprop("autopilot/KAP140/locks/pitch-mode") == 1 )  {
            gui.popupTip(sprintf("AP VS %d",getprop("autopilot/KAP140/settings/target-pressure-rate-fpm")));
         }

This mostly works, but the VS indicated on the popup is the setting before pressing the button rather than the value it has been set to. On the property browser the change of the target-pressure-rate-fpm value appears essentially instanteneous. Without any real understanding of how the KAP140 autopilot is implemented I presume the kap140.downButton() actually initiates the change, but this is not completed by the time Nasal reaches the gui.popupTip command. So hopefully if I wait 5ms or so, then the property would have changed to the new value.

If somebody has a more elegant solution to this problem rather than a direct answer to the question, I would of course appreciate hearing about this, too
Last edited by wonko on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
wonko

Version: 3.0

Re: Pausing briefly in order for property change to catch up

Postby Philosopher » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:37 pm

mini stack-overflow Q/A :)

It appears the autopilot uses a property rule (run every frame IIRC) to write to *-fpm from target-pressure-rate (with a gain of of -58000). Try using the property with the gain, i.e.:
Code: Select all
getprop("/autopilot/KAP140/settings/target-pressure-rate")*-58000

P.S. the corresponding function is settimer(fn, time_seconds);
Last edited by Philosopher on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Listeners cause indirection - so as long as the corressponding properties are not tied, you could probably even use a listener to "hijack" the control flow and do something else - we were using that method to even execute Nasal per FDM iteration - so it works fairly well - you can use/make up your own properties, or simply check /sim/signals (e.g. the frame signal should work fine probably)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wonko » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Philosopher's suggestion worked well so I did not yet have to delve into listeners. Thanks to both
wonko

Version: 3.0

Return to Nasal