Board index Other Hangar talk

Adapting CAD skills to 3D Printing

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Adapting CAD skills to 3D Printing

Postby daveculp » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:00 am

Hi All!

I've been away from the flight sim world for quite a while. Retired now and pursuing other hobbies. Lately I've been using the CAD skills I learned during my FlightGear devel days to 3D print add-ons for RC airplanes. The newest generation of "foamies" have amazing fidelity - enough to make them candidates for 1/9 scale static models!

A couple months ago an old Air Force buddy contacted me about taking a 1/9 scale OV-10A model and adding 3D printed parts to it so that it will resemble the airplanes we flew in Germany in the 1980-1982 era. I said yes, that could be done, so he said "Great! I'll send you one!". So a 1/9 scale OV-10A showed up at my door a week later. I've been busy printing up new bits for it. Here's a bomb rack with practice bombs.

Here's a new scale nose gear that'll pop in to the existing well (keeping the airplane flyable after it's removed)

I haven't even gotten to the cockpit yet. Presently working on the main gear.

Dave Culp

For the 230 gallon centerline tank I 3D printed molds on an FDM printer, then poured the tank halves with liquid foam, then added some bits printed on a DLP printer.

daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Adapting CAD skills to 3D Printing

Postby Johan G » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:24 am

Welcome back. :D

For smaller more complicated details you could test a technique someone I know have experimented with. In essence he print a mold in a water soluble support filament, filling it with epoxy and dissolving the filament:

anton4video, Pipe cleaning nozzle in epoxy from 3D printer (2 min, published April 22, 2020)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Re: Adapting CAD skills to 3D Printing

Postby stuart » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:58 pm

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you. So will this be a flying 1/9 scale model, or purely static?

I still enjoy flying many of your models, particularly the AD-6 and F-4. Your JSMSim FDMs just fly "right" in some way I can't really explain. James has been in touch with Alphasim (who I think released some of their early models to you?) who have offered a model or two as GPL. Do you still have an archive of your work somewhere we might update with new models?

Best regards,

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Return to Hangar talk