Board index Other Hangar talk

Enjoying FlightGear helicopters

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Enjoying FlightGear helicopters

Postby StuartC » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Just a little bit of Hover and slow manoeuvre practice with the Sea king ( Alpha release version ). Always helps to cross train on different types, especially when flying smaller more nimble types it helps to bring out something older, bigger and less sensitive to practice with.
Flight conducted using Pro Flight Trainer, Puma helicopter stick set.

Alpha version of the Sea King can be downloaded here:-
http://www.fguk.me/hangar/rotary/downlo ... king-har-3
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby montagdude » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:07 am

You guys have inspired me to watch a YouTube video to figure out how to use the EC-135. No Everest for me yet, but I did manage to land in the parking lot of a mall (in Selinsgrove, PA) that I have driven by many times on road trips to my parents' house. This helicopter is a bit of a handful but a lot of fun.

montagdude

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 am

Of late I've mostly been flying helicopters... usually the Alouette III, but second in use the EC-135 and third the EC-130 - they're all very interesting craft, and a nice way to explore remote mountain scenery from up-close - lots of scenic flights through Hawaii, Norway and Island for me :D
Thorsten

Postby Grumpysanta » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm

Ok, throwing back some challenges, see how you get on, use any helicopter you want, but I advise don't go too big as the landing areas are not that big.

Challenge 1
Fly from St Mary's Airport, Isles of Scilly (IATA: ISC, ICAO: EGHE) , head south west to Bishop Rock and land on the helipad on top of the lighthouse.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14s8iImkntxxNp4LouIPT4EynlWevcxUL/view?usp=sharing

Challenge 2
Take off from Lydd Airport (IATA: LYX, ICAO: EGMD), fly west to Eastbourne then south, find the Royal Sovereign lighthouse (it is out there somewhere) and land on it.

Royal Sovereign lighthouse, located 11 km (6.8 mi) offshore from Eastbourne, is a lighthouse marking the Royal Sovereign shoal. Its distinctive shape is easily recognised as it comprises a large platform (which functions as a helicopter deck) supported by a single pillar rising out of the water.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iIsz10IWv73qEb6cF-wf8AQrK3vcdXjx/view?usp=sharing
Grumpysanta

Callsign: G-SANT4
Version: multiple

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks for the excellent tips!

Challenge 1 accepted :D

One of the hardest parts was actually finding the lighthouse, but openstreetmap and the in-sim canvas OSM map helped a lot! :) Really a fun flight, especially in low visibility and high winds
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby Grumpysanta » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 pm

regarding the Aircraft Carrier Landing Challenge, watching the video it looks like he took off from San Francisco International Airport, flew north to the Golden Gate Bridge then headed west to the Aircraft carrier. I can't find any details to confirm the location, having tried the above I can't find the Aircraft Carrier however the rest of the detail in the area does look the same. Am I in the right place for the challenge?.
Grumpysanta

Callsign: G-SANT4
Version: multiple

Postby StuartC » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:28 pm

You need the AI Scenario running. Im pretty sure its still included in FG. Its the USS Nimitz scenario.

Oh, and Bishops rock. Been there, done that, and made the movie ( twice ).

https://youtu.be/cjN6oKGSX20

You can fit a ch47 on the pad.
StuartC

Postby montagdude » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 am

I'm getting better with the EC-135. I managed to fly under a bridge and land on a skyscraper. If anyone is able to land on the tallest building in Philadelphia, I would like to see it. It was too narrow for me.

montagdude

Postby StuartC » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 pm

My Phili doesnt look like that even with the latest terrasync. Is it custom and where do we get it to try the tallest building.
StuartC

Postby montagdude » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:23 pm

Oh right, yes it is custom scenery that I'm working on, so it's not released yet. But @merspieler's osm2city worldbuild should have those buildings if you are really itching to try now.
montagdude

Postby StuartC » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm

I'll wait till its released as scenery never quite works for me.
StuartC

Previous

Return to Hangar talk