Board index Other Hangar talk

Can FlightGear be used for fun?

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Can FlightGear be used for fun?

Postby Nikita256 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:02 pm

I know that some simulators (like proper3d) cannot be used for fun, or they will take your game license.
Can this game be used for fun. Are there any fun things to do here?
Nikita256

Re: Can FlightGear be used for fun?

Postby V12 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:14 pm

FG is not game, but simulation. And yes, You can use it for personal entertaintment.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Thorsten » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:24 pm

No. We never have any fun (actually, we don't even know the meaning of the word).
Thorsten

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:38 pm

@Thorsten :D

Nikita, no, contrary to the academic use policy of Prepar3D, FG can be basically used for any (lawful) purpose. More information about any license restrictions can be found here: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby F_D2760 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi,

I also don't know what fun means so that may be why I'm using FG!

Regards.
KUbuntu 22.04
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
22" + 22"
16 Go
F_D2760

Callsign: F_D2760
Version: Last one

I suppose the answer is ... YES

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:12 pm

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Johan G » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:13 pm

Ah, yes. The dragon. Using some pterosaur wind tunnel data even. 8)

That was a fun and unexpected development topic to follow.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:11 am

yep! 13 pages on that topic... i remember it well :mrgreen:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby tdammers » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Nikita256 wrote in Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:02 pm:I know that some simulators (like proper3d) cannot be used for fun, or they will take your game license.
Can this game be used for fun. Are there any fun things to do here?

As a professional software developer, I am very curious - how do you detect that someone is having fun? I want to know, because being able to programmatically detect users having fun would provide so many opportunities for getting insanely rich...
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby Johan G » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:13 pm

Silly crazy fun: "mountaineering" with the crash hauler.

Pedal to the metal up the hill and over the top, deploy parachutes before crashing to the ground. 8) :lol: :lol:

Hanging in the chutes by Johan, on Flickr
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby lomar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:34 am

As a professional software developer, I am very curious - how do you detect that someone is having fun? I want to know, because being able to programmatically detect users having fun would provide so many opportunities for getting insanely rich...

i suppose this may be made through analyzing posts on social media(especially videos on YouTube).
that may also be the case of the program sending flight logs to the developer, but this would be so weird and mean that i prefer not to believe in this hypothesis.
btw, i think this really falls into the critique of monty python's "fish license" skit
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby Johan G » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:22 am

tdammers wrote in Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 pm:[...] being able to programmatically detect users having fun would provide so many opportunities for getting insanely rich...

lomar wrote in Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:34 am:i suppose this may be made through analyzing posts on social media [...] that may also be the case of the program sending flight logs to the developer [...]

While not done in relation to flight simulators, this is pretty much how to get feedback for "improving" the user experience on social platforms such that the users want to stay (and be exposed to ads, hence bringing in revenue). Unfortunately way too many people do react less to fun or exploration than more primal things like fear, anger and hate (the good old "us vs. them"). Couple that with the economical incitement and you would want to expose them primarily to content that will make them react and stay longer, hence causing the infamous "filter bubbles" and polarisation. This is unfortunate, as it is easier to build a better future if we look past differences and focus on similarities, and put the umph towards building a future most of us would enjoy (in essence not "all for us, none for them").

Sorry for getting philosophical.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 am

For those interested about the situation with Prepar3D, see https://www.prepar3d.com/frequently-asked-questions/
Prepar3D FAQ wrote:Can Prepar3D be used for entertainment?
> No, Lockheed Martin does not offer Prepar3D for entertainment, and we have no plans to enter the entertainment space. The EULAs explain that Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than
> personal/consumer entertainment.

also stated here: https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overvi ... omparison/
Prepar3D License Options wrote:Prepar3D is not to be used, offered, sold or distributed through markets or channels for use as a personal/consumer entertainment product.
It's also included in the EULA, e.g. here for P3D v.5 Academic: https://secure.prepar3d.com/solo/produc ... ionID=1106
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby tdammers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Haha, that's pretty ridiculous.

In all seriousness though, I think this is mainly because they absolutely don't want to deal with support requests from flightsimmers and gamers, and a rule like this gives them leverage to punish anyone who tries, and even to go after people who advertise P3D as an entertainment platform online (e.g. by streaming). Then again, judging by the large number of youtubers and twitchers who openly use P3D, I don't get the impression that they make a lot of use of this leverage in practice.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Return to Hangar talk