Board index Other Hangar talk

AMD's Threadripper 3990X can run Crysis without a GPU

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

AMD's Threadripper 3990X can run Crysis without a GPU

Postby Hooray » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:46 pm

See: https://www.pcgamer.com/amds-threadripp ... hics-card/

Whenever a new piece of hardware launches, an inevitable question arises: Can it run Crysis? Technically demanding for its time, Crysis was one of the first PC games to support DirectX 10, and it was brutal on hardware when it came out. If only AMD's Threadripper 3990X had been around back then, because it can run Crysis all but itself.

That's to say, it doesn't need any graphics muscle from a GPU.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Linus Torvalds drops Intel and adopts 32-core AMD Ryzen

Postby Hooray » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:13 am

https://www.theregister.com/2020/05/24/ ... eadripper/
Linus Torvalds drops Intel and adopts 32-core AMD Ryzen Threadripper on personal PC

n fact, the biggest excitement this week for me was just that I upgraded my main machine, and for the first time in about 15 years, my desktop isn't Intel-based. No, I didn't switch to ARM yet, but I'm now rocking an AMD Threadripper 3970x. My 'allmodconfig' test builds are now three times faster than they used to be, which doesn't matter so much right now during the calming down period, but I will most definitely notice the upgrade during the next merge window.

Anyone here got experience rebuilding SG/FG on an AMD Ryzen ? :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Re: AMD's Threadripper 3990X can run Crysis without a GPU

Postby Hooray » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:59 pm

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen ... 773.0.html

AMD Ryzen 4000 APUs can run Crysis without any cooling
The AMD Ryzen 3 4300U can run Crysis without any direct cooling. (Image source: Fritzchens Fritz)The AMD Ryzen 3 4300U can run Crysis without any direct cooling. (Image source: Fritzchens Fritz)
AMD's Ryzen 4000 APUs are some mighty powerful 15 W chips, but can they run Crysis? It turns out that they can and even without any cooling.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Hangar talk