Board index Other Hangar talk

Folding at Home - Help conquer Corona and other diseases

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Folding at Home - Help conquer Corona and other diseases

Postby Isaak » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 am

Hi FlightGear people,

I just set up a team FlightGear in Folding at Home. This program, initiated by Stanford University, allows the average user to contribute computer power to medical research. You can read all about it on it's website. I discovered FAH a few days ago and since I have quite some pc power, decided to let my pc be used by FAH when I don't need the computer power. Because I 'm surely not the only one in this community with a fancy graphics card or cpu, I decided to setup a FlightGear team. When you decide to join Folding at Home, please feel free to enter 247139 as your team number. Let us show that FlightGear is not only about improving a virtual world, but also about improving the physical one! FlightGear isn't yet shown on the FAH stats pages, because their servers lag behind on the great interest that has rissen in the past few weeks, but it will soon and any workunits your pc completes will count to the FlightGear team as soon as you enter FlightGear as your team.

Kind regards,

Isaak
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Re: Folding at Home - Help conquer Corona and other diseases

Postby Figaro » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Awesome initiative Isaak. I've known about FAH for years but never had the computer power to spare. I think I might just jump on and join. Perhaps adding this to your signature could also be good?

-S
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:31 pm

this could be made sticky/added to the newsletter to spread the word (I've also been running FAH on several machines)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Johan G » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:53 pm

Mentioned it on this months newsletter (diff).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Isaak » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks, Johan! You can find team FlightGear's stats here.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Return to Hangar talk