Board index Other Hangar talk

Anyone still out there...

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Anyone still out there...

Postby flightgearAU » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Guys,

I'm 'flightgearAU' and am new to the Community, hey guys! Also, I'm from Australia (that's the AU in my name) I was browsing through the index and it seemed a lot of the discussion is from a few years ago. Is anyone still here, beep, cos I'd love to say hi! :D

Post your name and something you love about flight gear (favorite aircraft, destination, etc...)
flightgearAU

Re: Anyone still out there...

Postby CaptB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

Yes indeed we are. Welcome to the community.
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2018.1

Re: Anyone still out there...

Postby Johan G » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:00 pm

flightgearAU wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am:Hi Guys,I'm 'flightgearAU' and am new to the Community, hey guys!
[...]
Is anyone still here, beep, cos I'd love to say hi! :D

Welcome to the forum! :D

Are you new to FlightGear or have you been using it for a while?

flightgearAU wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am:I was browsing through the index and it seemed a lot of the discussion is from a few years ago.

Well, the forum has been around for more than a decade now. And while the forum is a bit less active than say 5 years ago, it for sure is not dead. ;)

My preferred way to keep track of what is going on is going to the board index and click the "Unread posts" link.

We also have a Wiki, though I find it a bit messy.

flightgearAU wrote in Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am:Post your name and something you love about flight gear (favorite aircraft, destination, etc...)

While there are many low quality aircraft, there are also some very high quality aircraft, like some of the fighters (F-14, F-15, Viggen), some airliners (in particular IDG aircraft it seems) and the Space Shuttle. Many of these use wind tunnel data and some, in particular the Space Shuttle, will need some study to be handled.

I have unfortunately not used the simulator for a couple of years now (I have worked a bit too much), but my favourite aircraft was the Rallye, PC-9, Twin Otter and the Mirage F1. Most of my time was in either the PC-9 or the Mirage, and a few times I could use map, clock and compass to navigate around a 30 minute closed circuit, while passing waypoints within +-15 sec of planned time (using calm weather).

What really keeps me coming back here though is sometimes seeing people new to the FlightGear project get really into something they want to improve and spending sometimes literally years on learning new things and improve stuff they care about, while communicating with more experienced developers. Also, there is so many ways to improve FlightGear, artwork like textures and liveries, GIS work to improve the scenery, aerodynamics and flight modelling, 3D modelling, writing documentation, maintaining the project infrastructure (scenery DB, forum, wiki, live maps, livery DB, tracker, code repositories, website, etc.), and of course also writing code for FlightGear itself. There is something for nearly every taste. In essence, I really enjoy seeing people grow.

I hope you will enjoy your time here and find new friends.

/Johan, Sweden
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Return to Hangar talk