Board index Other Hangar talk

Horizon - portable glass cockpit

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Horizon - portable glass cockpit

Postby V12 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm testing this very nice piece of the software - for more info check https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cs.Horizon
It has integration with Flightgear. I was very curious and made test low level flight from Samedan to Aosta in CAT III limited visibility. I was able perform that flight without any trouble, syntetic rendered terrain was absolutly perfect. And virtual tunnel in the sky guided me direct to runway.
Conclusion - very good app. But some expensive :( You can use it without payment, but some features will not work. Free use is limited to 60 days.
Last edited by V12 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Re: Horizon - portable glass cockpit

Postby wolfgangw » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 am

I'm a developer of "Horizon - Your Portable Glass Cockpit" and I'd like to clarify some things:

First of all: Horizon is NOT designed for flight simulation. It is made for pilots flying REAL aircraft in the REAL world.
Unfortunately the AI of the Google Play Store is not very helpful by showing our app as "similar app" when it comes to flight simulation.
If you compare our prices to the prices of comparable aviation apps you'll notice that our prices are much lower (https://helios-avionics.com/login/prices.php).
Afaik there's no other app on the market offering the same glass cockpit features (and most of them are much more expensive).
There's no need to buy an expensive e.g. Garmin Glass Cockpit anymore since you can use your own tablet with our glass cockpit software inside your cockpit as a backup instrument.

We do have an interface with FlightGear and it is therefore possible to use it with FlightGear (which is originally intended to be a good way to test the visualizations).
Of course if you're a user who just wants to do flight simulation and no real flying, Horizon is too expensive for this use case.
In this case please feel free to contact support (support@helios-avionics.com) and we can make a special price for you.

(Btw: In the next release of Horizon, which will be available in a few weeks, we will also have an interface for XPlane.)
wolfgangw

Re: Horizon - portable glass cockpit

Postby V12 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Thank You for explanation and special price offer. But I don't plan to buy this app for use with FlightGear simulator and I'm not real life pilot. I was very currious, how much synthetic render can help to pilot in case of suddenly and unexpected weather change or failure of the onboard avionics. And found that Horizon is realy very good piece of the software.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Return to Hangar talk