Board index Other Hangar talk

Making movies

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Making movies

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Funny you mentioned the blood. I really notice blood in any scene because I do a lot of hunting and it is so often not accurate. I thought you had a reasonable color. Maybe a shade to light. I wonder though if the inconsistencies of blood color in a scene are more about cameras and monitors involved than the actual color of the prop?
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:33 am

I wonder though if the inconsistencies of blood color in a scene are more about cameras and monitors involved than the actual color of the prop?

Let's just say you can change the impression a lot in post-production, so it's probably a combination of both - much of what you see in digital-age movies has been color-filtered for mood (sometimes that's depressingly obvious - army faces superior foe - heavily de-saturated colors, almost greyscale, the remaining color palette is blue-shifted to make the scene cold - leader gives rousing speech - colors return and are shifted towards red to give the scene a warm glow).

So if there's blood visible, that'd affect it a lot.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:27 pm

So, what's your take on the color?

Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:07 pm

The dark spots on the grass and collar look right to me, the lighter color (majority of the blood) looks a little to orange or light, I guess, but pretty close. I'm used to seeing that darker colored red to almost crimson. I have seen blood close to the lighter color when it is coming from the lung, such as a lung shot animal.
That dark red on the leaf, even the thicker portion that is a little lighter looks spot on in my opinion though.
So why is there such a variation in what were seeing here? Is it the thickness or shadow?
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:07 pm

So why is there such a variation in what were seeing here? Is it the thickness or shadow?

Time mostly - the stuff gets sticky soon, so we applied some in the beginning when she's still breathing and kept adding as the scene progressed - so the lighter color blood is freshly applied, and if it's aged for 20 minutes it darkens.

It's a home-cooked recipe made from starch, cocoa and some edible red color - I guess there's more sophisticated stuff possible, but for the most part this looked fairly spooky already...
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:14 pm

It looks good, you might consider letting it dry a bit before shooting if possible. It's nit picking, but that blood that is two toned is perfect in my opinion. I've seen that many, many, times.
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Previous

Return to Hangar talk