Board index Other Hangar talk

Making movies

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Making movies

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Since I'm an OpenSource software person, I've been using Pitivi which comes with Linux distributions (it definitely has its quirks, but works well enough).
Thorsten

Postby D-ECHO » Fri May 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Just to add, in my opinion kdenlive (https://kdenlive.org/) is also a good open-source video editor, in case someone's interested ;)
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:58 am

My first quadcopter flight away from the homebase - some aerial imagery around Kattilavuori where parts of Cliodhna 8 will be set.

Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:05 am

That looks a lot like some of the places in Sweden that I sometimes fondly remember. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby GinGin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 pm

So nice and peacefull.
That must be something to do some trail run and camp in those forests :)

Did you think to do some timelapse during a year with pictures taken at the same locations and different seasons?
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Since we've been forced to slow down the Cliodhna productions this year for various reasons, we've been doing something lighter and humorous on the side - A Sword and his Hero (based on short stories by Sebastian Wolf) follows the adventures of a magic sword and an aspiring hero. As it turns out, the sword can talk. Actually, it hardly stops talking.

In A Sword finds his Hero, we witness a meeting that will change the fate of the aspiring hero forever - fate throws a magical sword into his lap. Or rather, on his head:

In An Introduction to Heroism, the hero is told by the sword that he'd better train his fighting skills. But the search for a suitable sparring partner turns out to unexpectedly complicated:

Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:54 pm

The concept of talking magical swords reminds me of the often hilarious Swords comic. :D

Unfortunately the second video do not have English text (yet), but I enjoyed the first one. It will be interesting to see were the concept will bring your unsuspecting hero. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Maerchenprinz » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Hey, that's really cool!

@Johan G: It's basically about the sword telling the (upcoming) hero to maybe have a "little training" before going into real fights - their last opponents did not flee because of fear but because they believed the hero's wild fidgeting would be some exotic fighting technique... So why not begin with fighting a wild boar? The hero is somehow reluctant, finding it (or yet being) not heroic enough, and would rather begin with a tree, or a rock maybe. Or what about fighting the witch they met before? The sword replies: "In THAT fight, YOU would be the wild boar!"
You should watch it again anyway when the english subtitles are out, there are some more funny moments in it, and probably some I didn't get yet...

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Unfortunately the second video do not have English text (yet),

It does - you just might have to click on the CC icon to select the subtitles, but they're definitely uploaded and tested (and work fine for me here).
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:31 pm

I see German ("Tyska" in Swedish in my browser) and autotranslated German ("Tyska, automatgenererad").

Edit: Oh, turning on the close captioning reveals the "German" is English.

EDit 2: I enjoyed it as well. :D
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 am

Ah - I see - didn't spot that... I've passed it on to Katharina, should be fixed soon - thanks!
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:00 pm

You are welcome. :)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:19 pm

More, more! Too short, left me wanting more, seriously. I can hardly wait for the next chapter. How many do you plan to make?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:30 pm

We don't actually know how many we'll do... There are some 60 odd short stories in the original collection, but many of them aren't readily adaptable to screen, so certainly less than that. Right now we've prepared the third and we'll hopefully do that tomorrow (artificial blood was cooked today, sword training we did two weeks ago...) and I've selected another four stories for adaption but haven't gotten around to do the script.

So we'll probably have six-ish by autumn - the original stories don't really have winter ones, so we'll have to see.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Funny you mentioned the blood. I really notice blood in any scene because I do a lot of hunting and it is so often not accurate. I thought you had a reasonable color. Maybe a shade to light. I wonder though if the inconsistencies of blood color in a scene are more about cameras and monitors involved than the actual color of the prop?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk