Board index Other Hangar talk

Making movies

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Making movies

Postby wlbragg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 am

Looks like a really fun project.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Just finished 'movie making week' - 9 scenes in four days is hard work, tons of details to consider. But at least the weather played along, we had fine weather throughout.

Here's a little behind the scenes impression - Siofra in front of her hut, chiding Treasa, Rathnait and Una for being in the way while everyone is working.

(This wasn't uncomfortably cold, but for some cam angles one has to lie into the snow, hence the overalls simply practical...)
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 am

One way to be able to make more camera movements, while still not getting too shaky shots is to improvise a Steadicam.

The two key properties seems to be good weight balance and a reasonably high moment of inertia.

There are different ways to do this with just a tripod. Here are two ways:

Having the tripod horizontal with one leg vertical and balancing the weight of the camera with the two other legs:

Turning the tripod upside down with extended legs:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Actually, I have to say that in many situations the software movement correction of the cam is pretty darn impressive - I have useful clips of birds sitting in trees with hardly any shaking with 90x zoom filmed free-hand...
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Here's our second teaser, composed of lots of stuff we took during movie-making week - picturing among other things) how we imagine life in the village to be like:

This contains plenty of material which will appear in the second episode (planned to appear late summer).
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm

I've started to collect a Behind the scenes feature for people who are curious about how the movie is made and enjoy hear a few side stories.
Thorsten

Postby Michat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Howdy Thorsten.

I like thematic of the film (teaser). Pictures are also nice, continuity, scenery , etc. ..
Just I wonder if you have tried putting L'eggs wome's panty hose over the lens, this trick could help you to fit epic age targets, maybe golden effect, this will depend of the panty hose color. Result maybe in less digital appearance of some pictures. I see you are using in good way digital filters, of course.

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 am

Result maybe in less digital appearance of some pictures. I see you are using in good way digital filters, of course.

No, we haven't tried any kind of filter on the set. I confess I'm not really sure what you mean with 'digital appearance' - could you link some image that shows what you're after?

Pretty much everything you see has been post-processed, usually with the trinity of gamma correction, balance and tint filters (we usually shoot at more and whiter light than in the final scene and correct later) - it's rare that I take a sequence 'as is'. Especially the tint filter of course sets the 'mood' of the scene rather strongly - I suspect putting something colored over the cam goes into the same direction (?)

Part of the issue is also that (unfortunately) the camera software feels the need to do color corrections itself by guessing the light color, so a filter over the lense has some probability of simply being corrected away... things I'll know when buying the next video camera - less smart tools on board...
Thorsten

Postby Michat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 pm

I've tried to answer you several times.
I receive mysql error, I guess some words like camera, are banning subject. I try a trick to include my response as code but again sql San Carlos:

Code: Select all

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xC4\xBAio s...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

Edit. Image
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 pm

you appear to have a UTF-8 character in "Epic when Clio stands"... that 'l' (lower case ell) looks like it has a tick over it... before that, there's also "Cliodhna" where the 'i' has a tick over it...

use plain ASCII characters and problems like this won't happen ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:01 pm

@Michat:

Yeah, I suspect it's the Celtic accents that don't sit well with the forum...

Thanks for sharing the perspective on age, I've never thought of it like that myself. I'm mainly thinking in terms of 'moods' when I try to film (or post-process) a scene - and here the theme is spring work, we got lucky to be able to film in bright sunshine, the whole scene has very vibrant colors - I'm rather happy with the sequence because you can feel the energy in almost every take.

In contrast, part I is set in winter, all colors are muted, the sky is usually overcast - one should feel the sheer amount of energy it takes to get out and get things done.

The forest scene (I call it 'Cathedral in the Forest') is actually my favourite in the whole second part - and it was completely unplanned. After doing my part of acting (I appear in other parts of the scene), I took over the camera from my assistant to film the rest myself, and then I saw this view and immediately decided I wanted it. It's essentially only post-processed to compensate for the fact that we were pointing the camera right into the setting sun to turn the recorded video into the actual impression I had on the set.

In terms of light continuity - there is none in the teasers, they contain material from different scenes which are set story-internally at different days and times. In the actual movie, I'm paying quite a bit more of attention to get the lighting under control.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:15 pm

We are pretty much done with the first episode - it's almost 30 minutes long, and the official release date will be May 11th.

Currently I'm preparing the DVD edition - here's some previews on the menu artwork:

As part of that, we're assembling the subtitle sets. Currently we have English, French and Finnish - so at this point a call for volunteers: if anyone wants to see his native language added we'd very much welcome the contribution!

It'd be about 1-2 hours of translation work (we have the annotated English master file which explains context and intended style of the dialogs and this needs to be rendered line by line into a different language. We then take care of the actual timing information for the subtitles.

If you feel that'd be interesting, please get in touch - we plan to throw in a free DVD for contributors as a 'thank you'.

(We also have the option to produce the audio tracks in different languages - but this needs a team of native speakers being able to record mp3s halfway in sync with lip movements which is not quite as easy - but if anyone is interested in doing that, we'll be happy to handle the technicalities...)
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 11, 2018 6:25 pm

And, after a lot of work, the first episode 'Blood in the Snow' is now public (the YouTube edition is German spoken with English subtitles).

Take half an hour and enjoy!

Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 pm

How cool, thank you so much for posting it here.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Outstanding, I can't wait for the next episode!
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk