Board index Other Hangar talk

Strange FlightGear WordPress sites

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Strange FlightGear WordPress sites

Postby CaptB » Wed May 31, 2017 6:34 pm

CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2016.1

Re: Strange FlightGear WordPress sites

Postby curt » Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 pm

What if a person sets up a new site and then copies a variety of content from all over the web ... tons of it ... especially focusing on popular things (or maybe popular things without too many web sites associated with those things?) Soon google would find your pages and index them and they would hopefully start showing up in search results when anyone in the world searches for something that matches one of your pages. A few people will find their way to your pages. These pages appear to also run google ads. So imagine being able to scrape a small percentage of search traffic to your pages instead of the original ones, and a few percent of the people that visit click on your ads, and for each click you make a few pennies. If you can set up enough sites and copy enough content, maybe someday it scales large enough to make a bit of supplemental income. That's my theory from looking at those pages. My guess is that the amount of work for the small return would be huge. Google probably has seen this before and factors it into the search engine rankings. Also there's a pretty big copyright risk if you aren't careful. Maybe a few people find themselves with too much time, not enough money, and maybe this seems like a good idea to try for a while?
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby wlbragg » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

I don't think I would be clicking on any of those links, the download links don't appear to point to any downloads. The text is pretty much gibberish but enough to maybe fool a search engine along with the links.

I agree Curt, looks like a very cheep way to produce a penny. Everything looks canned and may even be generated automatically.

Dude's probably making a fortune, :roll: :lol:
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 pm

it could also be a site or site(s) in place with duff content to hide malware hiding behind everything... especially being a wordpress site... they are notorious for being hacked and used to host malware... just looking at those names is easy enough to see that they are generated... the first word in the first one is detected as Bosnian and the first word in the second one is detected as Romanian... neither one gives an English translation, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hangar talk