Board index Other Hangar talk

Spaceflight simulators!

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Spaceflight simulators!

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 am

Some posts was moved here from the topic Space Shuttle.

(Feel free to separate this into another topic)
Just to let the space fans know, the world has a free, realistic-oriented solar system wide space simulator: Orbiter.

And yes, Thorsten blogged about the FG Space Shuttle on their forum as well...
Last edited by Johan G on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some posts was moved here from the topic "Space Shuttle".
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby Thorsten » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:29 am

Just to let the space fans know, the world has a free, realistic-oriented solar system wide space simulator

... free as in 'free of charge' and not as in 'free software' and
... world as in 'Window$ world', not as in 'all the world'
Thorsten

Postby PavlinS » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:13 am

Parnikkapore wrote in Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 am:(Feel free to separate this into another topic)
Just to let the space fans know, the world has a free, realistic-oriented solar system wide space simulator: Orbiter.

And yes, Thorsten blogged about the FG Space Shuttle on their forum as well...

I amalready use it!
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:15 am

Yeah, I forgot to mention it is not open source yet...(Which is probably important here...)
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Postby abassign » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Orbiter is a nice space simulator, but the fact that it was made with a Direct-X graphic engine makes it impossible to use it with Linux and MAC operating systems. It's a shame, but the shuttle simulator project could make it possible to use FGFS as a space simulator. As far as I understand, however, it is necessary to modify a part of the kernel to allow you to have a number of features typical of spatial simulation environments. It would be nice that some of the kernel developers have the passion for space flight and start setting up work. Unfortunately, I do not think it's easy because we need to include a number of space flight modules not easy to implement.
I think you could start from a SW like Celestia that allows you to create a fairly complete space arena.

Http://celestia.sourceforge.net/

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Spaceflight simulators!

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:10 am

abassign wrote in Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 pm:Orbiter is a nice space simulator, but the fact that it was made with a Direct-X graphic engine makes it impossible to use it with Linux and MAC operating systems. It's a shame, but the shuttle simulator project could make it possible to use FGFS as a space simulator. As far as I understand, however, it is necessary to modify a part of the kernel to allow you to have a number of features typical of spatial simulation environments. It would be nice that some of the kernel developers have the passion for space flight and start setting up work. Unfortunately, I do not think it's easy because we need to include a number of space flight modules not easy to implement.
I think you could start from a SW like Celestia that allows you to create a fairly complete space arena.

Http://celestia.sourceforge.net/

I also regret that... I'm using my Windows box for Orbiter currently!

BTW I once liked Celestia, but the "spacecraft" in there is more like a magic carpet and would not even orbit :(
Parnikkapore

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 am

This is getting longer than I expect, please continue all space sim related discussions here.
Parnikkapore

Re: Spaceflight simulators!

Postby Thorsten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 am

It would be nice that some of the kernel developers have the passion for space flight and start setting up work.

Don't hold your breath.

Despite putting out the suggestion a few times, there's not even any 3d modeler willing to supply a high-quality mesh for ISS or more payloads like spacelab - despite the fact that meshes are actually out and just need to be converted, adapted and textured.

As long as everyone waits for someone else to do something, you'll not go anywhere but low earth orbit.
Thorsten

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 am

Also, my first flight in a space plane (keyboard control works very well here!)

Parnikkapore

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 am

After the QT5 launcher broke (OSG complains while clicking Fly), I started streaming Orbiter!

(Sorry, In my native language :( )
Parnikkapore

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:21 pm

what, exactly, were the OSG complaint messages?? if these don't get reported to the developers, they cannot be fixed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Parnikkapore » Wed May 03, 2017 3:48 pm

Ugh... They corrected themselves...
Parnikkapore

Return to Hangar talk