Board index Other Hangar talk

Eeeesh... why are paid f/s users so bolshy?

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Eeeesh... why are paid f/s users so bolshy?

Postby C-EYTT » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:22 am

On the official unofficial FlightGear Mumble, the ratio of VATSIMmers, all of them traitors from the FlightGear community, to FlightGear users is around 1.3:1. And they are absolutely elitist about it. "You just don't have the money" And guess what, even when I do, I still won't.
C-EYTT

Re: Eeeesh... why are paid f/s users so bolshy?

Postby CaptB » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:44 am

It's the old as humanity "mine is better than yours" childish game of taunting. Best not to engage.

P.S. I am a long time VATSIM member and FSX, XPX and FG user and you will not get such comments from me.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby StuartC » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:06 am

You can find deep set hatred of FG in some corners of the sim universe. Thise who paid a fortune for FSX to look and work well don't like seeing how we can do it as well, and in cases, better than what they spent a fortune on.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 pm

It could also be that they had taken a look at FlightGear many years ago, rejected it, missed how it have developed and consider FlightGear users as misguided elitists. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Bomber » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Well for starters the flight sim community can be split up in two

1) Users
2) Modders/Developers

Before anyone starts these aren't mutually exclusive..

So for one it's how FG greats and welcomes people from either of these two separate branches...

We've seen in the past the attitude towards newbie flyers from experienced people on this forum, it can nothing short of insulting.
And for people with experience of modding other flight sims the attitude shown towards them is considerably worse... you've actually had people on this forum that build replica bi-planes and you've shown them the door.

The FG community is it's own worse enemy and that starts from the top down.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:40 pm

supposedly you had a bad experience, please dont talk for the others
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Bomber » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Well who the hell will talk for them....

The question has been asked here, do you think they'll come here, register so as just to answer this post ?
It aint gonna happen... so whilst you stick your head in the sand ignoring all polite responses that you don't like the sound of... what's to change ?

Experienced FG people don't like newbies asking the same questions over and over again.... "why does my plane turn to the left on take-off"
Experienced FG people don't accept any opinion by anyone experienced in modding other sims.

FG is a very closed shop.... not very welcoming..

Don't believe me.... go to another forum and post up a poll asking them their opinion of FG community, let them do the talking.. then come here and post up a link to it.

No ?

Simon

p.s. I didn't start the topic.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Gees, look around in the world folks. Politics are politics no mater what the genre. It isn't inherent to FlightGear or sim's. Individuals have the choice to get along or not.
This discussion is a total waist of everyones time as it related to what most of us are here for. Just choose to get along, it's simple.

EDIT:

And no, in this case it starts from the bottom up!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby CaptB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Bomber wrote in Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:53 pm:FG is a very closed shop.... not very welcoming..

There are 6818 registered users on this forum, and possibly that is not the whole community, to say all of them are not welcoming, not friendly or elitists is not very fair and a simplification.

There is probably a bit of truth to what you say, because joining any community is initially difficult, so why not do something constructive instead and think of ways to improve? Is there anything we can do to help new users, are there any volunteers who are willing to answer repetitive questions? Maybe this needs a separate thread, I'd be glad to participate in the discussion on how to grow this community in a positive manner.
CaptB

Postby Bomber » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Yes you're right there are a lot of members of this forum and the majority of them just sit quietly and say nothing when some experienced member of this community starts dishing it out to either a newbie user or experienced developer of another sim that'd like to possible bring his knowledge to the table..... Frankly the majority of people keep their heads bellow the parapet as it's not their argument, it's not part of their hobby, they just want to fly or develop they don't want the arguments, the inevitable reputation that comes with speaking out.

So what's a person to think ? he's been rounded on by an experienced member of this community, and not one person has come to his support, of the near on 7000 members not one person has the same opinion as him or can be bothered to show any level of support ?

He continues on, on his own and is called a troll... still no one says a word in his defence, not even to defend his right to voice his opinion on a forum,,,,, in fact after a while the sycophants come out of the woodwork and start having a go at him....

A Topic is started that calls people traitors and is asking why people don't like FG and not one experienced person says anything, I try and explain and people jump in to oppose me...... well don't think to hard on it, you might have an embolism.

Simon
Bomber

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 pm

asking why people don't like FG

I don't really think most experienced user care why someone doesn't like FG. I could careless if someone doesn't like FG. I do and enough other contributors and supporters do, so that is all that matters to me.
Oh, your really saying why don't people like some members of the FG community, well that is a totally different animal, the reasons are as many as stars in the night sky.
wlbragg

Postby CaptB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:14 pm

@Bomber

It is possible that many members who sit quiet simply do not want to see the forum as an ideaological arena. New members should be welcome, they should be helped and if it is not the case, we as a community both individually and as a whole should find ways to improve that, this however does not mean we have to always agree as long as mutual respect and civilised discussion are maintained.

In a thread that you feel a new user is being bashed, it would be more constructive to provide the help required instead of engaging in a conflict to "protect" the new user, where neither side benefits. The attacker will stick to his/her views, you will be angry, and the new user will have a bad image of the community and his/her problems are still not solved. Everybody loses.
CaptB

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 am

@CaptB

You have very constructive comments and I think they are spot on.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:32 am

Don't believe me.... go to another forum and post up a poll asking them their opinion of FG community, let them do the talking.. then come here and post up a link to it.

No, I don't believe you, because you've made the claim before and people followed it up - we were able to dig up plenty of favourable views of FG all over the place, nothing substantially negative about the FG community, and when you were asked to present any evidence you balked.

So there's actually zero reason to believe what you say here for anyone who cares for evidence, and I wonder why you feel the need to bring this up again as it's been thoroughly debunked before.

(In fact, we do enjoy very good relations to people like the publishers of flightsim.com, and on FSWeekend I've met several people asking me how they could help the FG project within their commercial endeavours and none who had to say anything negative)
Thorsten

Postby CaptB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:32 am:(In fact, we do enjoy very good relations to people like the publishers of flightsim.com, and on FSWeekend I've met several people asking me how they could help the FG project within their commercial endeavours and none who had to say anything negative)

This is very interesting, can you go into more detail?
CaptB

Next

Return to Hangar talk