Board index Other Hangar talk

Eeeesh... why are paid f/s users so bolshy?

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Eeeesh... why are paid f/s users so bolshy?

Postby curt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi CaptB,

FlightGear has pretty much a standing invitation to publish articles on flightsim.com. We have known people there for a long long time. Thorsten has put together a couple articles recently, but this takes a lot of work to produce a quality result. If anyone out there in FlightGear land would like to contribute an article for flightsim.com or the flightgear.org web site, feel free to contact me. Personally, I regularly hear from people who have found FlightGear because of positive comments and reviews they have run across on the internet. I imagine there are a few people that will always try to find a negative angle on anything, but I appreciate the efforts of users like CaptB to steer forum discussion in a positive direction!

Thanks,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Müller » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:48 pm

I bought the X-plane 11, and I am not yet a member of the forum of them.
It's childish to get into a discussion that this is better or worse, they have qualities and flaws, strong points and weaknesses. But there's a big difference, the FlightGear is totally free, you don't have to pay to use it.
You pay and have the best? not always! I'm not making a comparison between FligtGear vs X-plane, not to generate any type of conflict, or an act of childishness.
I think the members of simulators can live together in harmony and in an exchange of experiences.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Octal450 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 pm

I agree.

I've been using P3D and VATSIM for over a Year, and FGFS for over 2 Years.

I fly as much on FlightGear as P3D. It just depends what I am in the mood for. I also develop for FGFS.

Somethings I noted:
Some users are really trying to get FGFS users to move to another sim...
The community was welcoming for me and my questions, I've never been told: I won't tell you, because someone else asked me before.

In the end, as @Müller says above, it would be best if the simulator users could just
Müller wrote:live together in harmony and in an exchange of experiences.
Sadly not all users want this to be the case.

Just mine $0.02.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby Bomber » Mon May 01, 2017 10:22 am

it0uchpods wrote in Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 pm:The community was welcoming for me and my questions, I've never been told: I won't tell you, because someone else asked me before.

Josh

But you've seen the opposite here ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Octal450 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:30 pm

?
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Bomber » Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Its very simple Josh.... you've talked about yourself and how you've been treated.... the question I've asked you is have you seen others treated differently to how you've been treated by this community ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue May 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes, but it's not just you. I have got two of my personal projects reality checked by the community (and once even got myself into a mini-flamewar), but I see them as hints and not rejections. All those files are on my disk.

Yes, I have my hard work criticized by the same forum member as you. But why am I still happy about here?

The only thing I found unacceptable is Thorsten asking users of FGMEMBERS and Flight*****m to pay for the Space Shuttle manual.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 pm

The only thing I found unacceptable is Thorsten asking users of FGMEMBERS and Flight*****m to pay for the Space Shuttle manual.

I'm very, very curious as to why exactly you think I should give hundreds of hours of work for free to people who have repeatedly insulted me and called me names or to other people who are selling the software I create for free - in addition to the GPL licensed software worth a few thousand hours of coding time all these people already get.

Why exactly do you think me not giving a gift to everyone you think is entitled to it is unacceptable?

Sorry, but this attitude that freebies are your god-given right leaves me speechless.
Thorsten

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue May 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Ah sorry, I forgot the manual is still All rights reserved, so you can do anything with it.

@Thorsten there's more to this, check your PM.

Edit: And remember that while Thorsten is an experienced developer, he's not the whole of the community. Remember your fellow users and other people who appreciate your efforts!
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Postby Bomber » Tue May 02, 2017 1:51 pm

But I'm not talking about me.... I'm not taking my experience here into account but instead focusing on how others have been treated,

and I didn't know anything about Thorsten attempting to charge for a manual, and I don't care about it.... My question is to Josh and his perception on how he's been treated and how this should be expanded out to everyone..

Well yes it should.... but the question of this topic is why are paid FS users so Bolshy ?

Not whether of not the FG owner has a good relationship with Flightsim website owners or an open invitation to publish on them...

The question hasn't been answered, I've put forward my idea, others have roughly said my idea isn't true, others have said we're actually very well like and yet the question is out there..... why so bolshy ?... Could it be that the original poster is wrong, misguided or downright lieing about these paid FS users ?

My reply is to Josh who refutes the suggestion that I've made by describing his treatment, but he's not the typical experienced flightsimmer/modder that comes to FG looking to extend their hobby.

Simon
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 02, 2017 2:35 pm

My reply is to Josh who refutes the suggestion that I've made by describing his treatment, but he's not the typical experienced flightsimmer/modder that comes to FG looking to extend their hobby.

In fact I guess he pretty much is, and if you care to read up the forum you will find there have even been a couple of frustrating moments and not so nice conversations as well.

But (unlike others), I suspect he eventually figured out that people here aren't actually out to get him personally but criticize mainly technical points - and as a result it all seems to go amiably now.

It's mainly in how you enter this place - typically people who behave like they invented flight simulation and they're the only ones ever doing realistic simulations don't nearly fare as well as people who have a realistic picture of their skills and knowledge and are willing to learn what they do not yet know.
Thorsten

Postby Bomber » Tue May 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Thorsten could you for one second put it to one side... your axe that is.

Josh what joined here at 14 ? how is that typical... ?

And yeh an experienced flight simmer from another sim does come with some knowledge (the clues in the experienced bit) but your response is an example of the contempt that's regularly shown to these people from this community.

So the question has been answered by you.... [Q]why do experienced users of paid Flight Sim behave so bolshy ?....[A] because we don't think they know anything about flight simming worth listen too.

Simon
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Thorsten could you for one second put it to one side... your axe that is.

I dunno - seems to me you're trying very hard to elicit a response here that the community would be generally unwelcoming - so I wonder who's really bringing an axe here.

Josh what joined here at 14 ? how is that typical... ?

Like that - it seems to be the most common age group:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29730&p=303620&hilit=flightgear+community+age#p303620

And yeh an experienced flight simmer from another sim does come with some knowledge (the clues in the experienced bit) but your response is an example of the contempt that's regularly shown to these people from this community.

There's a difference though between 'some knowledge' and 'people who behave like they invented flight simulation and they're the only ones ever doing realistic simulations'.

Of course, if 'comtempt' for you equals that people dare to tell you where you're wrong, then we have the problem identified right here. :D
Thorsten

Postby curt » Tue May 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Thorsten: do you not see bomber is baiting his hook in this thread? Better to disengage ... we see how these conversations go on endlessly here and in other forums and never in a positive direction.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Bomber » Tue May 02, 2017 3:57 pm

ok having a conversation on a forum is a no no.... so says the Curt...

But one more thing Thorsten, that survey doesn't show the age of people coming here, just the age of those that remain.
Bomber

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk