Board index Other Hangar talk

Flight Simulation just got one better

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Flight Simulation just got one better

Postby erik » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Re: Flight Simulation just got one better

Postby Darktrax » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:59 am

Icaros looks just *very* expensive.
The "fitness training" aspect may be a case of turning a defect into a feature - if the original motivation was to create a virtual reality headset type flying game, and the supine position without torso support was a sad consequence!

So now it takes "concentration, training of senses, reflexes, balance, training of muscles" etc, to remain perched on the contraption, and play. Better market it as something good for all that stuff!

Horizontal - supported only on elbows and knees, is certainly stressful, and does not mimic "wingman lift", where the force on the body is distributed, augmented by lift from the Batman-style triangular winglets between arms and torso.

Honestly, whatever it really is, I think calling it an "interactive flying simulator" sounds a bit creative PR naming.
I freely admit that, being an older guy, I am just biased about what I would what the old muscles need be subjected to.
Darktrax

Postby bugman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:37 am

It looks cool, but I think I would end up with a permanent back injury (RSI) using that thing. "Ergonomic" definitely would not be printed on the brochure.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby erik » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:32 am

I realize it's not a perfect wingsuit position but that would be hard anyway since you're missing the lift effect on the body. I've also been thinking about parachutist simulation (the free falling part) but that requires more sensors (and has the same lack-of-lift drawback).

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby adam_one » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:01 am

Remember the Cyber ith?
Every once in a while somebody starts pushing this *huge* gaming device that is marketed towards the average PC gamer, or user and _every time_ it bankrupts. There was that yoke that had a kickstarter and in the end cost $2000 and everybody waited for ever and where really angry.
There is no market for extremely expensive gear for PC users, or whatever that thing is. Nbody gives a damn.
Im just glad that yet another genius will make the same mistake so possibly somebody will realize that PC gamers (whether or not that thing is PC) dont buy big $1000+ "accessories". Maybe then finallly will they start focusing onthings that really matter, like coding communities and stuff, thats interesting.
adam_one

Version: alpha

Postby erik » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm

I had to look up the Cyberith, and is looks awkward in the video's.

To be fair, the Icaros device is targeted at body workout centers, not so much the home user. It was me fantasizing other uses in combination with FlightGear.

Erik
erik

Return to Hangar talk