Board index Other Hangar talk

What is a fork (split from How the project works)

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: What is a fork (split from How the project works)

Postby curt » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:57 pm

Lydiot wrote in Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:22 pm:But you're right. None of this changes anything, so I'll just be quiet which is exactly what you want. Just be aware that you're part of the problem as per your very own description ironically.

Hi Lydiot, I addressed my comments to you because you were the prior poster, not because I was being critical of anything you had posted in this thread. What I actually want is for people to have fair and respectful conversations here. Think of the forum moderators and football (soccer) referees. By joining the league and stepping onto the field, it is presumed that a person will play by the rules and act respectfully to fellow players and towards the referees. We often talk about good sportsmanship in athletics and we respect and value that. When that doesn't happen, the ref has a few options at their disposal including having a few friendly words with a player or perhaps a stronger verbal caution. If that doesn't help, the ref can blow the whistle, call a foul and give everyone a few moments to cool down and take stock of themselves. For more flagrant fouls, the ref can pull out a yellow card. Often a series of fouls and a track record of unsportsmanlike behavior eventually draws out the yellow. And then we all know how it progresses from there with continued infractions. If a player shows themselves to be deliberately committing flagrant fouls or deliberately mocking the referee or other players, then it usually doesn't take too long for them to be shown the door.

Like every analogy, you could take this further, or too far. I'm not claiming I or the other mods here are the perfect refs, we don't see everything, but we do use our best judgement as best we can. It's ok to point out things the ref didn't see and it's ok to criticize the refs to a point, but if that turns that into an excuse to commit more deliberate fouls or commit other disruptive behavior on the field, then again, we all know how that plays out. How often does complaining to a ref change the call on the field? Maybe if complaints are handled respectfully you can influence future calls? I see that happen in sports, but refs are human beings too, and they are doing their job to keep the game flowing and create an environment where everyone can compete fairly and have the opportunity to show their best work.

Once in a while a player sees the result of the game as a horrible injustice, or sees the referee's actions as completely wrong. I've been their myself, so I know that happens even when everyone is trying their best to be good sports. I also see some players that view *every* call against them as a horrible injustice and contest and argue at every point in the game. From an external perspective, we are all able to pretty clearly see which players are which.

Best regards,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Previous

Return to Hangar talk