Board index Other Hangar talk

Announce if you new, leaving or returning.

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Announce if you new, leaving or returning.

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Omega wrote in Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 pm:Of course, as always, you can find more experienced pilots in Europe than you would find in the San Francisco area or South America.

OR you can help all of us in the Asian communities (and maybe your own VA, too?) populate the virtual African or Asian skies! :D
Come on, it's the last frontier... You know you wanna!

-And of course, welcome to all the new pilots in FlightGear!
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby chris_blues » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:26 am

Yes! You shouldn't be too shy! I've landed many times in EDDF (no FGCom) with ATC directing me! And I have no basic idea of aviational communication. I've just read some stuff about how to fly and how to follow my ILS signal, and then someone asks me what I'm going to do, while I'm busy getting my numbers right! But it was quite a nice experience, like I guess it must have been in the old days, when ATC wasn't quite invented. Some loose talk about what I should do next and about what I'm going to do, or be able to do, and then, like a charm - I find myself directly in line with the runway in front of me...
Nice experience at Frankfurt. I'd always do it again! :)

So, be polite and humble, if you don't know anything about procedures, but do it - you can learn a lot!

...thx jomo ... :)
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby JcHnd » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:16 am

Well... I guess I'm back... but only as a spectator... I dont really have the time or the resources to work on anything for FlightGear...
but I'm really surprised with all the new planes, scenery and stuff... thank you to all the creators!

Quadunit404 wrote in Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 am:I have lost almost all interest in FlightGear and flight simulation in general, but still wish the project good luck in the future, and good luck in dealing with the FlightProSim/ProFlightSimulator/Whatever it's gonna be called tomorrow scam everyone.

I've felt that way... but then I realized that I'm even studying for the aviation... so I came back to earth :wink:
Live Your Life, The Way You Are!!! Image

My Liveries Site:
http://jchnd.blogspot.com/
JcHnd

Callsign: HR-JCL
Version: 2

Postby andyramone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am

I've returned to Flightgear after a 1 year+ hiatus. Some of you may remeber me from the Scenery Development forums, and flying with AVA. I worked on modelling airports in UK (Norwich & Liverpool) and also football stadiums.

Hard to explain why I left for so long, jsut fell out of love with FG and modelling, as has happened before. But I'm back for a while on the modelling side, as I want to finish my Miami project (see the Scenery forum) and see where I can go from there. Seems like there's alot of exciting developments since I've been away, especially like the look of the 8.50 airport data format. Also the latest 2.6 runs fantastically on my Mac, and alot of the bugs that used to annnoy me when flying are gone, so seems like I timed my return well.
andyramone

Callsign: AVA0088
Version: 2.6

Postby tk_jkg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi all!

A friend told me about this great sim. I am on a iMac and just love it.

Have not used any sim for many year but i did played a lot with graphsim.com's F/A18 Hornet 3.0 in then 90s.

Have some experience in xml and enjoy playing with that to modify menus and joystick and so on.

Like the default Cessna 172P and have found some minor bug or things that need to be fixed.

/Thanks
tk_jkg

Callsign: SE-ToM
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Mudito » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello, my name is Xavier and I have been aware of the FG project since its inception, but it is now when I take direct contact with the Simulator, and it's really spectacular to see everything what has been achieved and ongoing projects.

Now I enjoy knowing FG, and dream in contributing something to the project in the future.

Quite a continuous feat...

Best regards,
Quite a continuous feat...
Mudito

Postby jakes1487 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 am

Hi everyone, I'm Jake. I've always wanted to fly; but I only flew for the first time in any capacity a couple of months ago, on a commercial airline. Despite the long lines and crowded conditions, being in the air was a very nice feeling, though not quite everything I had ever dreamed of. I don't think I'll ever be a pilot; but I definitely want to fly someday with less plane around me than that.

I found FlightGear about a week ago after I saw an ad for Microsoft Flight, thought it might be a nice idea, researched it, and was disappointed at the business model (I should have known--it said "Microsoft". :P ). Then I remembered having seen an open-source flight simulator in Ubuntu Software Center, researched it, and was impressed with the screenshots and especially with one video that I couldn't tell wasn't real for about a minute. Unfortunately I don't have my desktop with me right now so I haven't actually tried it yet, but I am somewhere where the internet is fast, so I left wget running for a few hours to download the entire world's terrain and all the aircraft. :)

i'd love to contribute, and as I have been reading through the forums I have been getting a bunch of "great ideas". But I already have so many coding projects and other obligations that it's most likely not going to happen. :( I also know that my great ideas are probably the kinds of things that would either take days to program or days to render. :wink:

One quick newbie question, I don't think it's worth a separate thread: I'm excited about all the graphical improvements in the works for version 2.8, and so the temptation is to download them all, throw them all in with the 2.6 source, hit compile, and hope for ultra-realistic graphics. But it's a little difficult to follow their development progress through separate threads and make sure to get the right version (to say nothing of compatibility issues)--is there some place with links to the most recent versions of all of them? Or do they always upload their progress to the git repository, in which case I should just download the most recent development build? Or do I really not want to be getting myself involved in development builds unless I want to learn the whole API and fix the compatibility issues myself? How about for things like texture packs and other enhancements that are maintained separate from the official project by other people--is there some list of them?
jakes1487

Postby Omega » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:48 am

Hello and welcome jakes1487,

To answer your question, here's a quick way you can compile FlightGear in Ubuntu/Debian: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu
Also, there are many new aircrafts, sceneries and new features coming out that are not included in the project or not sent to the git repository, so to keep track of them, I made a website called the FlightGear Corner where you can find and download all the new developments coming out: http://flightgearcorner.tk/ .

There's a tutorial section as well for all the new pilots 8) .

Omega.
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega

Postby jakes1487 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks Omega for the links. I'll make sure to check your site often for updates, and I subscribed to the announcements email list. I'm looking forward to trying Sunrises, local weather, and project Rembrandt.

Thank you to whoever was kind enough to put switches in the Linux compile script so I can just download the data files without compiling them now, then later only compile them on my other computer. It's one of those good practice things that is rarely actually used, but in this case I thought you'd like to know it was. :D
jakes1487

Postby Omega » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks for checking my site :D .
I subscribed to the announcements email list

Err.. what do you mean by that? We don't have such a thing, are you referring to the RSS feed?
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega

Postby jakes1487 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Omega wrote in Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:53 am:We don't have such a thing

Unless http://www.flightgear.org/mail.html is under the control of spammers, or unless this is only for developers (which is fine), you do seem to have such a thing. :) I looked at the archives for FlightGear-Announce, and it doesn't seem to be too defunct--well, actually, the last message was announcing the release of 2.4, so maybe it is. :) But that's okay with me--I'll sign up for the development one if I want a bunch of messages each day.
jakes1487

Postby sgofferj » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm currently a little bit swamped with work and thus have very little time for my hobbies. Project will hopefully be over soon.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 am

Hi again, I`m back after making a start at high school.
Hopefully I am better at understanding people and even gamma.
Lachlan.
Projects: YMBD, YJST
Horizon Flightgear Hangar!
Flightgear On Android
I may have a house on the ground, but my Home is in the sky.
spitfirebruce21

Callsign: ADL-FTW

Postby Figaro » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:46 am

spitfirebruce21 wrote in Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 am:Hi again, I`m back after making a start at high school.
Hopefully I am better at understanding people and even gamma.
Lachlan.

* grammar.

But great to have you back once again Lachlan.

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby Johan G » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 am

I've been away from the forum for almost two weeks now (I think), mainly focusing on the wiki, but I have also been busier in real life. Previously I have made it a point to read, or at least skim through all new posts, but I will not have the time or energy to do that in the future without risking burning myself out, also I will be a lot more busy for a while starting in a couple of weeks.

In essence, I will mostly be on the wiki and will be more selective on what I spend my time on here.

Funny thing is that when I spend less time on the forum I tend to fly more. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk