Board index Other Hangar talk

Announce if you new, leaving or returning.

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Announce if you new, leaving or returning.

Postby Bjoern » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:41 pm:...

Very insightful, thank you!

The "free means free" policy, however, will remain unchanged.

But I figure it won't be much of a problem as I'd simply distribute FG-tailored versions of the model from the project page.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Postby Quadunit404 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:17 pm

I feel as though explaining why I became (mostly) inactive.

I kinda let games get in the way of planes and... yeah. You can probably tell where this is going :wink:

However, a recent friend of mine on Steam with an interest in military aviation helped revive my interest in flying (seriously, he <3s the F-22 a lot and won't stop ranting to me about how the US is shutting down production of the type in favor of the F-35 or how the PAK FA resembles the F-22 or how great of a plane the F-22 is) and now I'm in the process of installing the X-Plane 10 demo along with plans to install FlightGear later this year. So yeah, I'm coming back... eventually :wink:
Quadunit404

Retiring from the FGFS forum

Postby Vodoun da Vinci » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm

I have asked that the user name/account for Vodoun da Vinci be retired here at this forum. I will still be flying FGFS and assisting with small development projects where I have expertise and I'll still be making movies and supporting the FGFS project from the FGUK platform.

I'm just done with this forum....I don't spend much time here anyway and every time I come here it reminds me of places I should be spending my time that yields some sense of satisfaction or achievment.

CYA!!

Vodoun "VooDoo" da Vinci has left the building permanantly.
FGFS version 2.4.0 on Windows 7
Primarily Flying Warbirds, Jet and Prop - Visit: http://www.fguk.eu
VooDoo's FGFS/FGUK Movies!: http://www.youtube.com/user/VooDoodaVinci?feature=mhee
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
A. Einstein
Vodoun da Vinci
Retired

Postby Prince Dark » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm changing my username to Prince Dark.

See ya on my new account! :)
Formerly known as King of Aviators.
Prince Dark

Callsign: Hawkbit

Re: Retiring from the FGFS forum

Postby Johan G » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Vodoun da Vinci wrote in Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm:I have asked that the user name/account for Vodoun da Vinci be retired here at this forum.

It's your choice your choice of course. I'll guess you'll have more time for FGUK, which doesn't seem too bad... :wink:

Vodoun da Vinci wrote in Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm:I will still be flying FGFS and assisting with small development projects where I have expertise and I'll still be making movies and supporting the FGFS project from the FGUK platform.

It's nice to hear that there will be more of your movies. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 am

I hereby request my name be retired from this forum.

I have lost almost all interest in FlightGear and flight simulation in general, but still wish the project good luck in the future, and good luck in dealing with the FlightProSim/ProFlightSimulator/Whatever it's gonna be called tomorrow scam everyone.

- Quadunit404, signing off for the last time
Quadunit404

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am

You will be missed. :( Good luck in the future! :D

PS. You might want to change your signature if you are retiring permanently. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby ryuji_sakata » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:18 am

Returning to FG after a 2 year break from it. College began cluttering up all my time and i had to quit. This isn't the same forum name i used previously as i had forgotten the last one i used. However, i was never really all that active on the forums nor did ever make it into multiplayer. Love FG now just as much as i did before. Great and helpful community with some very professional dev's and support.

I prefer playing FG as realistically as I possibly can which usually requires me spending more time reading about proper rules/flight planning/ navigation techniques and everything else under the sun than actually playing it :) (hence also the reason why ive yet to show myself in multiplayer). Maybe one day when i feel I am studied enough to add a proper and at least somewhat realistic pilot to the servers ill sign in. :D But as others before me have i really just want to thank everyone participating in the creation and continuation of FG for all their hard work. Being a Simulation & Game design student on the programming track in college, I understand how much goes into the process. And for it to be free as well, that's a whole other story. Fantastic job guys.
ryuji_sakata

Callsign: N390AR
Version: Win

Postby Omega » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 am

hugo wrote:Hello everybody. My name is Hugo and I stumbled upon FG a couple of weeks ago as I was seraching for an ATC game. I have to say I absolutely love FG (except for flying helicopters :) ) and want to thank everyone involved in its development; you guys did a terrific job.

Welcome to our community, you can try ATCing pilots in multiplayer if you want to. Check out this tutorial on how to connect to multiplayer: http://flightgearcorner.x10.mx/?page_id=392 . Also, helicopter flying is one of the most realistic things in FlightGear, the throttle/collective is reversed just like in real life, so that's what makes helicopters harder to fly, you have to get used to the controls first and the best way to do this is by practicing.

@ryuji_sakata: It's good to hear that I'm not the only one trying to be "as real as it gets" :mrgreen: . Also, you do not have to be a real life pilot to get into the servers, the servers are free for everyone, and pilots that not even know the basics of flying can join in! But if you really want to fly realistically, I suggest taking your aircraft to Frankfurt, Germany, you can find some experienced pilots and ATCs there, and you can also learn more from them.
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega
Version: GIT

Postby ryuji_sakata » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:30 am

@Omega I will keep that in mind. :)
ryuji_sakata

Postby sgofferj » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 am

Regarding Frankfurt, it should be noted that the people there usually care very much about professional procedures, so one should not necessarily go there if one doesn't know anything about it. And never ever start your session on EDDF runway while there is ATC training going on! ^^ There are many parking positions available to start on (try A10 - A25). Frakfurt ATC also works on FGCom and Jomo is a very good and experienced TC.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby ryuji_sakata » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:11 pm

sgofferj wrote in Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 am:Regarding Frankfurt, it should be noted that the people there usually care very much about professional procedures, so one should not necessarily go there if one doesn't know anything about it. And never ever start your session on EDDF runway while there is ATC training going on! ^^ There are many parking positions available to start on (try A10 - A25). Frakfurt ATC also works on FGCom and Jomo is a very good and experienced TC.

I always run parking and taxi to the runway when possible including all the basic engine startup procedures and pre-flight checks. Im better with the technicalities than I am with actually flying the plane. Probably comes from more research than actual flight time. However, just as i expected some people probably take the sim very seriously. And rightfully so! :D As I feel the exact same way. I think ill steer clear of Frankfurt for now. I wouldn't want anyone ruining my simulation and therefor won't become a burden on someone else just the same. However, if anyone has any videos or information of the actual procedures going on at Frankfurt please send them to me.
ryuji_sakata

Postby sgofferj » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Well, I'd suggest, you take the UFO (it's invisible to other MP pilots) and start out at EDDF at some parking position some evening and watch and listen. I actually just today made a wiki page about the ATC sessions. The times are in there. You definitely should have FGCom running on EDDF TWR frequency, because it's a much better experience than just using MP chat plus typing and flying at the same time kinda sucks.
If you have basic understanding of the procedures, you shouldn't be too shy. People are taking the sim serious there but everybody has started small once and everybody makes mistakes, once in a while.
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby ryuji_sakata » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Ahh wasn't aware that the UFO was invisible in MP. Ill definitely try that out. Thanks for all the info! :)
ryuji_sakata

Postby Omega » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 pm

I just wanted to point out something, first of all it is good to understand that Frankfurt is not that close to real life, pilots may be following some procedures but not all of them and sometimes they are not much realistic.

I've been lots of times in Frankfurt area, I've been ATCing there, and as far as I've seen, some pilots do not even follow the basic procedures, for example instead of making a full readback of the commands given by an ATC, they just say "Roger" or "Copy" and that happens even on FGcom!

The second example, is people make ~50nm flights with big airliners such as 772 or 787. That makes the life of the ATCs much harder because they do not have much time to react since once they take off from the other airport, they are already in the airspace of another controlled airport and they are requesting clearance to land!

Of course, as always you can find more experienced pilots in Europe than you would find in San Francisco area or South America, but if you want to fly with other pilots and ATCs and see what the actual meaning of "as real as it gets" is, you may try out connecting to VATSIM via SquawkGear. Yep, FlightGear can connect to VATSIM servers as well, that's why FG is awesome :) .

Anyway, back to the topic now :mrgreen: .
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega
Version: GIT

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk