Board index Other Hangar talk

Reibekuchen

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Reibekuchen

Postby KL-666 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:17 pm

And now for something completely different: The Food! My long diseased grandmother was from Germany and made food like a 3 star Michelin restaurant. Today i tried the most simple recipe: Potato pancakes.

Take some 1 kilo of potatoes and mush them in a food processor (actually you should do that manually for best result). Somehow press out the fluid and add a very fine cut onion and 2-3 eggs, and some salt.

Then fry the "dough" in sunflower or corn oil in small portions: one unit is 10 cm diameter. So some four units fit in a frying pan.

The result is delicious, but your house smells of frying oil for days.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Re: Reibekuchen

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:10 am

I know the version without onions, not so fine ground as with a food processor and then served with apple sauce ... but then, where I grew up is only about 50 km from the Dutch border, so some similarities in the ffod (can't use a term for the place where food is cooked on this forum) are to be expected ;-)
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby KL-666 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:15 am

Yes apple souse is a very good addition. But you did without the onion? That is horrible :-) :-) must be the dutch influence
KL-666

Postby HJ1AN » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:22 am

Sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe, I'll try that
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby KL-666 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:50 am

Hi HJ1AN,

If you do, do not make them thick. Take a small sauce spoon and push them flat with the spoon after entering them. They should be somewhat half a centimeter thick.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 am

My mother used to do something similar when me and my brothers were very young. However she did not add eggs and a few times no onions. The potatoes was shredded rather than mashed and was fried in margarine. Before serving salt and black pepper was added and it was served with some margarine melting on top of it and shredded carrots beside. I had to look the up the name, "rårakor". Mom made them in a slightly different way than than common though, she made them thick, about 2 centimeters or nearly an inch.

Something that is more similar is potato pancakes (in Sweden known as "rårakor" or "raggmunkar") blended or shredded potatoes, eggs and flour (at home we blended the potatoes together with the rest of the ingredients). In Sweden it is typically served with fried bacon and lingonberries or lingonberry jam. At home we usually ate them with lingonberry jam or applesauce (I usually preferred the latter) and without the bacon. One of my favorite foods, and hard to fail (not even the worst school kitch3n I have been eating at could fail them :wink: :lol: ).

Now I am hungry. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby KL-666 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi Johan,

I wonder how your mother keeps them together in the first version. I always think the eggs do the binding work.

The second version is more similar. Some people indeed add some flour. But i find that "cheap". Not that potatoes are expensive :-)

Very important is to have something fresh/sour with it, so the apple sauce, carrots, i guess the berries, sweet/sour cucumber are all good. This all compensates well for the amount of oil the pancakes have soaked up.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby sanhozay » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Johan G wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46 am:Something that is more similar is potato pancakes (in Sweden known as "rårakor" or "raggmunkar") blended or shredded potatoes, eggs and flour (at home we blended the potatoes together with the rest of the ingredients). In Sweden it is typically served with fried bacon and lingonberries or lingonberry jam.

This sounds very similar to the potato farls that they have in Northern Ireland, usually as part of breakfast. Perhaps it's a recipe that came from the Vikings!
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:33 am

Years ago I was in a class for making authentic NYC style Bagels. The lady who taught it was from Switzerland and was a stickler for technique.

Apparently the Old World recipe is to use the water left over from boiling the potatoes for Latkes ( potato pancakes ) as the starch is used to bumpstart the yeast before it's added the the flour and eggs. One thing is for certain, we made some of the puffiest Bagels I've ever eaten. And the roasted garlic ones scented up the entire building, food heaven.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Johan G » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:06 pm

KL-666 wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:26 pm:I wonder how your mother keeps them together in the first version. I always think the eggs do the binding work.

It would seem that the starch in the potatoes was enough to keep them together. I remember that she compressed them in the frying pan with the spatula, probably to get more surface contact to help them stick together. Remember that hers was thick. Two or, a few times, three quarters from the frying pan was enough to satisfy three hungry kids. ;)

KL-666 wrote in Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:26 pm:Very important is to have something fresh/sour with it, so the apple sauce, carrots, i guess the berries, sweet/sour cucumber are all good. This all compensates well for the amount of oil the pancakes have soaked up.

It seems to me that food with a lot of starch/fat/protein would need something sour and/or some fast sugars to keep one from dropping blood sugar levels after some 5-30 minutes into what we here in Sweden usually call "matkoma" (literally "food coma", in essence getting really tired after eating), in particular if one eats a bit too much. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Avionyx » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:13 pm

It's lunchtime, I'm working from Home Today and I'm very tempted to go and give these a go right now. Even got some Lingonberry jam in the cupboard to try it with.

Not sure I've got the time though :(
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Return to Hangar talk