Board index Other Hangar talk

Flying contest

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Flying contest

Postby tulcod » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:39 pm

Hey there,

I was thinking, shouldn't we have like, a monthly contest of flightgear vids and showoffs? I think it'd be kinda fun if people can show off in something they are good at. There would be a poll on who submitted the best vid (the best flying work), in different categories:
-landing and/or takeoff (in weird areas or very nice/fast)
-acrobatics (evading stuff, weird flying shapes, stuff like that)
-formation flying
-combo: combination of any of the above (land in formation, formation acrobatics, landing acrobatics, formation aerobatic landing (all one category though))
at the end of the month, users will tell the contest leader where to find the vids (and they can post in the meantime as well, of course), and then he'll open up a poll. the contest leader is of course not allowed to submit any vids

Would there be any interest for such a contest? enhancements? i would be okay to do the kickoff as contest leader, but i'm sure i can't be the only one (ie someone else needs to be contest leader next time :P)
tulcod

Re: Flying contest

Postby mdsmith » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 pm

I like the idea of that or a MP event but people with bad connections (like me) couldn't do that.
Now, how could we make the videos?
mdsmith
Retired

Postby tulcod » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:31 pm

mdsmith wrote:I like the idea of that or a MP event but people with bad connections (like me) couldn't do that.
Now, how could we make the videos?

on linux: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1266
winblows: http://www.fraps.com/ seems to be a good solution

one extra obvious rule: only one video per flight session can be submitted once, so you can't reuse vids and you can't make two vids of one flight
tulcod

Postby Gijs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:45 pm

Nice idea! It's very easy to add youtube video's the forum, so if everyone uploads it we could make one topic with all the vids in one post and a poll to vote on the best vid. Another nice categorie might be landscape (show the best landscape video's, with sunrise/set and/or nice mountains outside your cockpit window!). There are enough categories that we can imagine of.
No matther how, but I'll support you in this contest.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby tulcod » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:51 pm

okay then. one more category:
-artwork/feature showoff (you may develop your own features/artwork, provided that you release them afterwards)
i don't want to start too many categories though, because we want a lot of voters and such.

ps, people, just a "i think this would be cool"-post would be really nice too (it doesn't obligate you to actually join ;) ), i want to know how many people are interested in this at all. few replies makes me feel like not a lot of people are interested.
tulcod

Postby Yasumune » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm recording video this weekend and working on a small movie. I don't think I'm interested in competition but I'll surely post the result when I'm happy with them. Pretty much I am just experimenting with capturing flight sequences and then setting them to music. Purely for the fun of flying the 'Sim and seeing it set to a video.

I'm interested but not in competition. :D
Bunbu Icchi "It is said the warrior's is the two fold Way of pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways." - Miyamoto Musashi

"Hate the game. Don't hate the player." Yas
Yasumune

Postby VicMar » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Yup - sounds like fun.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby tulcod » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:01 pm

once the fifth "woot, let's do this" is in, i'll make a new topic :)
tulcod

Postby technobill » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:39 pm

I can help if needed,

So, I guess I'm your fifth woot.
technobill

Return to Hangar talk