Board index Other Hangar talk

Announce if you new, leaving or returning.

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Announce if you new, leaving or returning.

Postby CaptB » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:44 pm

Simpilota380 wrote in Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:57 pm:I just started using Flightgear last month and i love it. You guys have done a fantastic job. I'm 68 years old, retired Electrician. Have been using MSFS X for many years. Got new gaming computer and the new MSFS 2020, still cant use it , not enough video ram, i got 2 gig video card. So I took a chance on Flightgear and im so glad i did. Still learning it and loving it.

Welcome! FG may not be as pretty as MSFS just yet but it'll give you free(both as in freedom and beer) flying and if you like tinkering there's nothing like it at all.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby property_tree » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:04 pm

I've found Flightgear by chance after grabbing some driving sim hardware, lol.
Since I though "Hey, I got fancy pedals now, why not also use it for flying". Originally for Arma 3, but since I love FOSS, this caught my eye.

At first I was really *really* confused, but that has gotten quite a bit better, and the whole project has risen very high in my regards in a short time.
Not just because I can actually do some things in the 'game' now, but the overall quality of the project and how it is handled.
The lucidity, for a lack of better words, in writing and how the topics are handled in the wiki (which I discover more and more of) are really refreshing.
Not sure if I will really be able to convey what I mean with it, but just reading some of the long standing devs and maintainers and members take on things, including topics like frustrations, patience with all sorts of things, etc
Well, it's ...it's not Twitter or Facebook, that's for sure.
It's like seeing some wild humans in the ...wild, of the internet. Again, I can't really express it, but I like it, and instantly makes me cherish this project and the people behind it more.

Also, bonus points for having a forum. I expect there to be a FlightGear discord, somewher too...but there's a real forum. A real forum...

Where people can just look and get information and the talk about it, without having to join some discord channel.
So good, and I hope that I can become an asset in some way to give something back...at least once I'm not stumbling around so blindly, hehe.
property_tree

Postby PaoloA » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:41 am

Hello everybody,
I am new to this Forum, but I have been flying, as a hobby, with Flightgear for about two years.

I am an aviation and flight history entusiast, for this I have used in the past various flight simulators.
I'm not a programmer, but I've modeled some aircraft for X-Plane in the past, and I've already had a lot of experience working on some FlightGear aircraft models.

I preferred to switch to Flightgear due to its open architecture.  I know I still have a lot to learn here, but if you are looking for someone who can help, you can ask me to work on further developments, possibly as an aircraft developer and tester.

Regards, PaoloA
PaoloA

Postby CaptB » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Welcome to FG PaoloA!
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby merspieler » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Welcome aboard
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby FurryMLG » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:00 am

I'm new, I started about a few months ago and I love it! It's better than FSX in some aspects and It's free!
FurryMLG

Version: 2020.3.15

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:35 am

Welcome. What kind of flying you do the most?
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby Nish4t » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:26 am

I am new guys regards fg 6243 8)
Searching for a short haul airliner ?
MD 80 is your choice
Nish4t

Version: 2020.3.17

Postby FurryMLG » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:30 pm

MariuszXC wrote in Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:35 am:Welcome. What kind of flying you do the most?

Mainly G/A with some Airliners mixed in.
I usually fly the Cessna 172 since it's easy to fly.
FurryMLG

Version: 2020.3.15

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:46 pm

FurryMLG wrote in Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:30 pm:Mainly G/A with some Airliners mixed in.
I usually fly the Cessna 172 since it's easy to fly.

Then check out our multiplayer section of the forum. We have an active group of GA pilots there.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby david.megginson » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:03 pm

Hi. I'm back for a bit. I started contributing to FlightGear in the late 1990s, and implemented the first roads/railroads/rivers/landcover in TerraGear, the first taildragger and multiengine flight models, the first realistic instruments (lags, drift, mag-compass tilt, etc), the first prototypes of several core aircraft like the C172, J3 Cub, PA-28, and DC-3, and the property system.

I've forgotten more than I remember, though, and may have questions that seem surprisingly basic or obvious. Life's like that. I'm excited to see how advanced the visual artistry and user experience have become, and how strong the contributor and user communities are.
David MEGGINSON (he/him)
I need more tea.
Scenery: FlightGear Americas Scenery
Fediverse: @david_megginson@mstdn.ca
david.megginson

Pronouns: he/him

Postby merspieler » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:19 pm

hey, welcome back, awesome to have you hear again
Nia (you&, she/her)

Please use gender neutral terms when referring to a group of people!

Be the change you wish to see in the world, be an ally to all!

Join the official matrix space
merspieler

Pronouns: you&, she/her
Callsign: you&, she/her
IRC name: merspieler

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:58 am

Hi everyone, nice to see some new and old names popping up :-) Looking forward to your experiences!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:57 am

Having been mostly on Pinto's FlightGear and Operation Red Flag (OPRF) Discord servers for almost a year now I have slowly realized that I have become less and less aware of what is going on in the rest of the community, so I will try to look in here more often.

I mostly fly the OPRF Saab JA37Di Viggen and the FlightGear UK Hughes 500D these days, but fly neither of them as much as would like.

Also have actually started to upload some videos to YouTube, but irregularly.

P.S. More than 1000 unread posts is kind of a pain for someone that was used to at least skim through everything posted here and did so for most of the last decade. :roll:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:07 am

Johan G wrote in Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:57 am:P.S. More than 1000 unread posts is kind of a pain for someone that was used to at least skim through everything posted here and did so for most of the last decade. :roll:

it can certainly be a job, that's for sure...

personally speaking, when i get up and get my c0ffee, my first steps are to run through my email, followed by dropping in here and reading every [New Posts] starting from the very bottom of the list and religiously using the BACK button to return to the list or a message i've written a reply to... i'm generally through all of the new posts when i finish my c0ffee and then it is on to the other forums i monitor where i follow the same steps... that's about the only true "routine" i have any more...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Hangar talk