Board index Other Hangar talk

Thank You

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Thank You

Postby dom_vc10 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:44 pm

Hi

I was not sure where to post this so I thought this might be the best place. I just want to say thank you to all the people that have developed flightgear to what it is now. I Moved to Linux several years ago but also had dual boot with windows so I could use FS9. I Tweaked that old sim to the limit and it was amazing but aircraft always felt like that thy flew on rails. I didn't want to stay with windows nor could I afford some mega gaming rig to keep up with the latest sims. My options seemed very limited. I had tried xplane and was wowed by the feel of the aircraft. I do not need all the eye candy (it is nice though)

So some time in the past year I ditched windows and decided I may not sim again for some time, however I tried Flightgear. I have spent the past year messing around when I had time. It was a steep learning curve to move over to this sim. I also had very little time. Recently I have had more free time and really started to spend proper time getting everything set up. Now today I did my first proper flights in it, before I was just testing things out to get it all working and learning. This was the most satisfying sim flying I have done in years. The scenery, the weather interaction and the way the plane handled was just fun. I also went online with Vatsim which I always enjoyed and it worked flawlessly.

So thank you so much to all :D :D :D . Here are a couple of screenshots of the flight today from EGBJ to EGTN and back..VFR with the photo scenery and OSM is just amazing. I could use my half mil real maps perfectly with it to navigate.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
dom_vc10

Version: nightly

Re: Thank You

Postby TheEagle » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:30 am

I think you chose the right place ! :) And I also can just say a big THANK YOU to all the people that created this amazing simulator without getting a penny for it !
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby benih » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:20 am

I also say thsnk you, devs, for the wonderful opportunity and toolkit to spend hundreds of hours having fun with coding and such!
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:08 am

Yes, and it is also in the spirit of the season, so Thank You to all developers, core and not, content creators, bug reporters and other kind folks contributing to this amazing piece of software. May the fun (of creating) be with you - always.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby psnarf » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:45 am

Here, here! Although I do abhor necroposts. Kudos to the 787-10 team! The aircraft lost its jaggies from 787-8. Beautiful, job well done. Lurking, ever lurking are swans at 32,000 ft eager to pounce on any cowling that comes near and do a swan dive into the forward compressor. Odd, the sacrificial swans are organized in pairs, they dive into both engines on cue. That's realism. No way out, have to glide to an airport from FL320. I would never suggest the auto-pilot fly the airport pattern until the pilot returns if it flies past the destination.
psnarf

Return to Hangar talk