Board index Other Hangar talk

Fake or Genuine

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Fake or Genuine

Postby wooly » Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 pm

Version 2020.3.6
Windows 10
Current Aircraft Cessna 172P

Hi
I have been having problems using ATC, so i have been searching this forum, youtube and google.
Today i received 2 emails regarding ATC, They are mailed from flightge@flightgear.org by Tobias offering a free and voluntary course.
I did not request any emails from anyone, so i think this is strange.
In your opinions do you think this is safe or genuine?
Thanks for any help
Wooly
wooly

Re: Fake or Genuine

Postby Gijs » Tue May 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi,

You've allowed forum users in your profile settings to send you emails through the forum system. This doesn't reveal your e-mail address to the sender, unless you reply to them. If you don't want this you can disable it through the user control panel: ucp.php?i=165
Note that you can also send private messages on the forum, that are kept entirely within the forum software, not going to your email.

Tobias has also opened a topic where you can discuss ATC training: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=39111

Cheers,
Gijs (moderator)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 pm

i started to reply to tobias about how bad a thing it is to spam everyone on the forums about his ATC training thing... instead i just deleted his PM... i mean, i read every single post on these forums every time i come on so i was already aware of his offering... it just doesn't appeal to me since i don't fly like others... if i had been interested, i would have responded in his topic within hours of him posting it :shrug:

i will say that i don't fault him for his exuberance... i was his age 40-someodd+ years ago and still remember how excited i was about certain projects and things i was interested in back then ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby benih » Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm

He wants to raise attention to really get something going and rise the quality of atc comms, in the hope we can build a network of more atc coverage.

I think that is legit and i will try to support him.
Spamming is not nice however :)
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby N385MB » Wed May 05, 2021 3:29 am

He gave me an email as well. He seems genuine in his motives and I think we should support him. In my opinion, organized events are something this project needs. It is great that he is so interested in it and did not instead go straight to VATSIM!
My passengers receive hazard pay... but at least I have fun.

Cheers,
Margot
N385MB

Pronouns: she/they
Callsign: N2KO, N385MB, X-CXPH
Version: 2020.3.6

Postby StuartC » Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 am

I got one as well. Obviously doesnt know me very well or he would have never offerd ATC training.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Return to Hangar talk