Board index Other Hangar talk

X-Plane deception

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

X-Plane deception

Postby zacarias » Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 am

Hi. just to vent about my deception...
Being a Linux user for about 7 years now, I got used to the joys and freedom of use - but also of sharing and feeling involved even without being a developer, of seeing people sharing their work and knowledge, of real communities working hard to make better things and share them - of free and open-source software.
I got used to the idea that free and open-source software is not the same as bad or limited software. Free and open-source software is as good as, and sometimes better, than commercial and closed-source software.
That's why, being a a fan of aviation, I wasn't astonished when I discovered FlighGear and how great a simulator it is. I love it and I have a huge respect for it's developers (and users, of course).
But sometime ago I saw that X-Plane had an always up to date Linux version. I was pleased with that - after all, there are not so many commercial software companies that get the trouble to create and maintain Linux versions.
I gave it a try and, although I still find that FG is better in many things (like customization, view options and many others), it's true that X-Plane sceneries are much prettier than FG's. So I decided to buy X-Pane 11, especially because I wanted to support the fact that they keep developing a Linux version.
Well, after some days with it... I'm not deceived with the software BUT... they're nuts! Almost all the aircrafts are payware, they are incredible expensive and the worst of all is the "community" acts is if that was normal! You pay 59$ for the software license (which I did) but you only get a limited offer of free planes. Then, you have to pay about 69$ or even 80$ for an Airbus or a Boeing! And people act and talk about it as if it was normal!
I felt as if I went back to the time when i was a Mac user and had to pay for all (even stupid things), with Apple always getting it's own software and hardware quickly obsolete just to earn more and more money from people... I'm glad I'm free from that!
Anyway, what a deception this X-plane community. Poor guys! (or should I say "very rich guys" instead?)

Long live free and open-source software!
Long live Flightgear!
FG 2016.4.4
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Radeon HD8570D RAM 8GB
zacarias

Re: X-Plane deception

Postby Catalanoic » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 am

Nice you have discovered FG before and understand why is so important, despite a lot of work to do. I've also payware software but FG gives me more.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2016.2

Postby CaptB » Thu May 18, 2017 7:09 am

X-Plane is a commercial product and as a commercial product it also supports a commercial ecosystem where people want to get paid for their work using the proprietary model. We might think it is wrong, but that is their choice and right. Still, remember that you do have free(as in beer) aircraft and scenery of various quality on x-plane.org.

In my view, Flightgear is important and great for all the reasons you mentioned, but above all, it is important because it is software that is made by the community for the community, free as in freedom. It is not that much reliant on economic factors, market share and sales figures, which makes it probable that it will continue where the others will stop being commercially viable and be discontinued. A good choice long term.
Last edited by CaptB on Thu May 18, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CAPTB
Version: 2016.1

Postby Müller » Thu May 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I am also a user of X Plane 11, I before buying already knew that it was very expensive to acquire an aircraft, a scenario, so I do not feel disappointed and I do not even think I was deceived.

And there comes a few hours or minutes later a great simulator - Flight Sim World -, and see the System requirements:
MINIMUM:
OS: Windows® 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: AMD APU Kaveri A10-7850K or Intel Core i3 6100
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon R9 Fury or GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 40 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Additional Notes: System requirements are subject to change during process optimization.

Is a very strong competitor for X Plane 11.
Müller

Postby jarl.arntzen » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm also a long term X-Plane 10 and now also 11 owner. FSW looks extremely good but it is only a potential purchase, far into the future, due to the pretty steep HW requirements. It's currently also Windows only which is something I do not generally support so it'll probably just stay on my wish-list until such time FSW decides to support Linux.

Now, I do not mind paying for various software, especially not if it is FOSS. I use Inkscape regularly in my work as a (UX) designer and donate on a monthly basis (same amount as I would otherwise have to pay for equivalent software). Although I do use FlightGear nearly as much, I wish it was as easy to donate to FlightGear and related services rendered by the community. forum, mapserver, multiplayer server etc. I'm fully aware of the http://store.flightgear.org store but I wish to contribute directly to FG and not through purchasing a product.
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Müller » Thu May 18, 2017 3:00 pm

One more thing: I'm in X Plane 11 but I have not forgotten the FG, I've made contact with someone who has an interest in making objects for the FG scenario; Work models and not simply import objects from other simulators. (X Plane !?)
And they may believe that this person knows a lot about modeling and has shown interest in knowing how to make a scenario (a complete airport) in FlightGear. I'll continue to talk to him and maybe I can persuade him to contribute to FG.
Müller

Return to Hangar talk