Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear Newsletter - March 2010

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

FlightGear Newsletter - March 2010

Postby Gijs » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 pm

Last month I wrote that we hoped for more contributions to this month's newsletter, and guess what? We have quite a long article this time! A big "thank you" to all contributors!

Read the March newsletter

Contributions to next month's newsletter are welcome at this link. Everyone (with a wiki account, which is free and easy to obtain) is welcome to add a paragraph or more about updates that (s)he noticed, created or used. Have a look in the archive for ideas on what could be written about.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Re: FlightGear Newsletter - March 2010

Postby QF52 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 am

Ok...
FYI i am a president of SOA one of two presidents who acted as mattt and put this in the Letter?!?!?!?!?!
Mattt is a CO of SOA aswell!
Yes if you hear this it's true im modeling the Sydney Opera House
'Qantas orders more A380's and some Boeing Dreamliners (787's) hope to get on one someday =-)
QF52

Callsign: QF52 or SOA1

Postby ChocBoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 am

That's what's confusing us, multiple accounts appeared to have defaced the VA section with reports of criticism of AVA and how you are being criticized for starting SOA........
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby simbabeat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:24 am

It looks like gijs has locked it and removed the virtual airlines section. Good job gijs.
simbabeat

Postby ChocBoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:17 am

Yes, smart thinking, but it'd be nice if we knew who did it..........
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:31 am

Since enough has been said already I can say that, given the way it was done, we *will* find out who did it ;-)

Shoulda kept it personal, (insert name of perpetrator who's identity I have strong suspicions about) - the path you chose has proven your morals as well as your stupidity (think server logs and data matching ;-))... You can also think yourself very lucky that I only use my own skills for good rather than evil, else you'd have a *hell* of a big problem on your hands ;-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Postby simbabeat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 am

You can go look at the edit history to see. Looks like it was done by Nbhockeyplayer????????
simbabeat

Postby mattt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:47 am

Indeed you can (view the history).

The problem is that one of the contributors had never even seen the newsletter until Gijs announcement above, and has never held an account on the wiki ;-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
mattt

Postby SkyWlf77 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:54 am

I was kind of curious as to who wrote all that in the first place, although I must have missed something somewhere as I didn't see anything that would have caused major problems with anyone when I read it after it was first released in the forum.

Anyway, be that as it may, it is gone now thanks to the ever-attentive eyes of our moderators and I don't think that it warrants bringing anything else up about it. While it might be interesting to know who wrote it, that's just not a necessity nor will it bring any good to the overall atmosphere of FlightGear and could cause additional harm (ie: another flamewar that we don't need).

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby ChocBoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:48 am

It looks like nbhockeyplayer contributed to the discussion, but someone else wrote the page.....maybe this guy "Ratometer"?

Whoever it was, they were clearly anti-AVA...Jason, if you were able to glimpse the text before it was removed, I recall talk of AVA taking over the VA industry. Really ridiculous, but it won't benefit us by pursuing this.....I agree, let's move on. Gijs, to prevent inflammatory text from going up, maybe all submissions should go through you for April?

EDIT: It seems our mystery writer has been up to something on the page history, but yet nothing is written on the newsletter............
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby Gijs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:22 pm

For your information: the paragraph was written by a single person, spread over two wiki accounts, named "matt" and "NBChockeyplayer". Forumite Matt told me that he did not write it.

The wiki admin and myself are currently investigating the case, so with a little patience we should know more. Until we know what was going on, the paragraph will remain "hidden".

ChocBoy wrote:Gijs, to prevent inflammatory text from going up, maybe all submissions should go through you for April?

I already check the letter before locking it, so everything in it is meant to be accurate. In this case however, the problem arose afterwards.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby mattt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Yup - what Gij (<-- hahaha - my dig at you for leaving a 't' off my nick :p) said...

The irony is that if I was to have "contributed" at all, it would have only been to strenuously argue a case for not mentioning VAs at all until the crap surrounding them in the forums had settled down, and also because, in actual fact, nothing has been agreed upon by anyone involved in any VA (unless one wants to consider anything that's been discussed and / or decided in "secret" and not yet publicly announced - in which case, I hardly see how their "news" is ours), achieved, etc in this area. In it's present state, the VA discussions and associated forum behaviour here is hardly any kind of promotion for FG and it's community :-/

I must say, though, that I'm more than pleased with the highly professional attitude of the "management" here in regard to their handling of the situation - especially Gijs. They are certainly deserving of much applause and respect :-)

I'll also say, though, that I'm appalled at the behaviour of whoever was responsible for the breach. Definitely a sad, new low in terms of morals and attitude toward both myself and, more importantly, the community as a whole - a lofty call, given some of the happenings here in the last month. If the forum / wiki had been even a single level higher on my care-ometer, rest assured I would have taken the matter to the appropriate authority here in my country. Yes - I'm *that* serious about such matters, and so are the powers that be all over the globe. Stunningly and completely appalling...

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Postby hovkid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Wow... Did I miss something?
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby ChocBoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 pm

Not much. Just a little problem on last month's newsletter (a slightly inflammatory section was written).
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Postby mattt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Not accurate.

Yes, Chocboy is right - but that was all resolved, per se, by the time the newsletter went to "print" (and resolved in full some time afterwards).

The "little problem" is that somebody stole my identity on that system. However, it's being dealt with as appropriate :-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
mattt

Next

Return to News