Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear newsletter editor wanted!

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FlightGear newsletter editor wanted!

Postby Gijs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:16 am

stuart wrote:2) Ask whoever is running the wiki if they can make it read-only.

I think this is the best option. I can close the article for editing, so just let me know.
Then the Wiki Owner and me are still able to edit it (or open it up again), in case we want to change something.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby stuart » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:19 pm

That would be my preferred option too - I just wasn't sure if it was possible.

If we're going to have a regular newsletter, then we should make it as easy to create/publish as possible.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Gijs » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 am

stuart wrote:2) Ask whoever is running the wiki if they can make it read-only.

Done! If you want to change something now, please contact me.

Just a question, how do you want to publish the newsletter? On the main page, on the forum, on the website?
And should we collect all newsletters in a collection (= category)?
Gijs

Postby stuart » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Great - Thanks Gijs.

If you could create a new category for the newsletters, that would be great. I've created a skeleton version for the August newsletter, so if anyone wants to create some content, their efforts won't be wasted!

I think it is worth publishing everywhere - wiki, forum, the mailing lists and the website. If you could do the wiki, I'll do the forum and mailing list, and hopefully Curt will have time to do the website.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby brisa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm

what about if I attach a pdf version of the article to be downloaded to be seen offline ?
for example:
http://brisa.homelinux.net/fgfs/NL_2009_July.pdf
and
http://brisa.homelinux.net/fgfs/NL_2009_August.pdf

or it is just a waste of bandwidth ?
brisa

Callsign: brisa

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:01 pm

A lot of work has been done on Joshua Wilson's (Golf Foxtrot Sierra's) CRJ-200, and although I think he is way more critical and modest about it, I think the consensus is that it's a wonderful piece of work. I'd love to see a little write-up of it, if he wouldn't mind... with the ulterior motive that it might push him to submit it for CVS inclusion. :)
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Gijs » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:26 pm

brisa wrote:what about if I attach a pdf version of the article to be downloaded to be seen offline ?

Hm, I don't really see the advantage of an offline version. You can save the wiki page (to be seen offline) or print it already.
The fact that we can still change things on the wiki might outdate the .pdf quite soon...

MD-Terp wrote:A lot of work has been done on Joshua Wilson's (Golf Foxtrot Sierra's) CRJ-200 (..) I'd love to see a little write-up of it

You are free to write something! That's why we placed the newsletter at the wiki: everyone can colaborate! There's still some space on the August Newsletter ;)

PS: Stuart, talked to Curt already? I don't see a link on the homepage (yet)...
Gijs

Postby martin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Gijs, Francesco

Gijs wrote:
brisa wrote:what about if I attach a pdf version of the article to be downloaded to be seen offline ?

Hm, I don't really see the advantage of an offline version. You can save the wiki page (to be seen offline) or print it already.
The fact that we can still change things on the wiki might outdate the .pdf quite soon...

Well, newsletters the way I know usually have an editorial deadline, thus there won't be any changes past this date simply by definition.
The nice thing about having a PDF is probably/hopefully that it's going to feature a nice layout - hey, btw., this might be a perfect hook to try and introduce a new logo - and the simple fact that it is sort of a real 'publication', a 'document' and not just another page on the Wiki.

Cheers, Martin.
FlightGear Scenery Release Manager
martin

Postby Liam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:20 am

I don't know if anyone is interested in email subscriptions, but another option would be to set up a database for people to subscribe (they would have to subscribe for the newsletter from the flightgear.org), then their email (if they are logged in) or they will be required to enter an email and that email address can be added onto the list for receival of the emails. This would probably only be such a good idea if the newsletter was monthly/bi-monthly/quarterly than yearly though... Just a thought :idea: :idea: :idea: Perhaps it would be a good idea to look through each forum (i.e. English, French, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish forums) to selectively pick out the most interesting and new and/or completed projects of that month in each topic, eh how about even a "plane of the month" thing, or others such as latest scenery, there have been multiple skyscrapers and airports being updated in the far east.
This would certainly pull it out of the wiki page.
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby stuart » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Liam wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to look through each forum (i.e. English, French, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish forums) to selectively pick out the most interesting and new and/or completed projects of that month in each topic, eh how about even a "plane of the month" thing, or others such as latest scenery, there have been multiple skyscrapers and airports being updated in the far east.
This would certainly pull it out of the wiki page.

You are very welcome to go ahead and add some new content - that's why it is hosted on the wiki!

There is already a "plane of the month" type feature - "In the hangar". Perhaps you haven't read it?

Sadly, as with lots of things, people are always prepared to make suggestions without actually contributing...

martin wrote:Well, newsletters the way I know usually have an editorial deadline, thus there won't be any changes past this date simply by definition.

Good point Martin - I didn't make that particularly obvious on the wiki. I've updated it to mention that the aim is to publish at the start of August. Unfortunately, apart from Francesco Brisa and myself, there doesn't seem to be much interest in contributing to it.
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby brisa » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:22 am

From my point of view, for this month there is enough "meat on fire", so it could be released and locked now, before people goes to holidays :-)
brisa

Callsign: brisa

Postby stuart » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 pm

I agree, I think we've got as much as we're likely too for this issue. I've just done some re-ordering and added a description of a simulator I got the chance to use today.

Gijs - do you want to make it read-only?

Once you've done that I'll ping Curt to add it to the website.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Postby Tuxklok » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:41 pm

I added a small blurb about my Innsbruck scenery.

cheers
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby VicMar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 am

Gijs - do you want to make it read-only?

Hi Stuart,
As far as I know, Gijs is away on holiday at the moment. I don't know when he is due to return.
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby HHS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:01 pm

stuart wrote: I've just done some re-ordering and added a description of a simulator I got the chance to use today.

And I hope, you (made/ did?) some pics of the cockpit! :D
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

PreviousNext

Return to News