Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear 2016.4.1 "Zürich" released

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FlightGear 2016.4.1 "Zürich" released

Postby Maarten » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:12 pm

There is a problem with the ini file. Below is all when starting fgfs.exe --launcher.

I removed the whole flightgear.org directory and then it worked. Then I copied the old FlightGear.ini file to the new FlightGear directory and I got an error on start: Fatal exception "Unknown variant org.flightgear.official.SenecaII". Yes, the Piper Seneca was the last plane I flew. So I deleted the recent-aircraft line and it went smoothly again.
After exiting FlightGear and starting it again, the same error showed up, of course that line had reappeared.

This happens for all extra installed aircraft, not for the standard Cessna 172. That aircraft gives a recent-aircraft line of file:///C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.4.2/data/Aircraft/c172p/c172p-set.xml, all other aircraft are in the form of package:org.flightgear.official.*

Something is definitly wrong there.
Maarten

Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Necolatis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:58 pm

The unknown variant error is being worked on by the devs.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Necolatis » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:37 pm

"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby dtlan201 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:12 pm

I'm using Windows, how can I switch to different aircrafts without fgrun?
dtlan201

Callsign: MIA0774
Version: nightly

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:59 pm

the built-in --launcher offers selections of craft and location... it also remembers previous ones so you can easily select them again... adding hangers is very easy as is pointing to your already existing craft and scenery directories if you have already downloaded them... you can also carry over your custom settings from fgrun... simply use fgrun's option to display the entire command line it sends to FGFS... copy that data and paste it into the --launcher's Additional Settings section... some minor editing to remove unnecessary items (use the '#' to comment them out in case you need it back later) and off you go into the wild blue yonder ;)

as far as switching craft in-sim, the --launcher is also the Aircraft Center found under the F10 menu's File option... you can change craft and location from within the sim and it'll reload as necessary without you having to exit and restart... for example, i just started at KATL in the UFO and switched to KJFK in the 707...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:07 pm

"i just started at KATL in the UFO and switched to KJFK in the 707..." This is cool, something like drive a car from home to the nearest small airport and take a Cessna! :D
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:12 pm

the main thing is the Aircraft Center in-sim works and allows you to change craft and locations easily... but, yes. you are right... since there are cars and motorcycles available in flightgear, it should be possible to "drive your car/motorcycle to the airport" and then to "jump into a cessna" and fly away :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to News