Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Gallery page

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Gallery page

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Hello all,

I noticed that the gallery of pictures in our website ("About FlightGear" then "Gallery v2.10") is showing pictures of older versions of FlightGear. Since FG 3.4 is about to be released, what if we updated those screenshots with ones of the newest version? I myself could try to create a bunch of them if you'd be interested.

There are so many amazing developments in FG lately that it would be a pity not to show some of them in our main page. For instance, look at those incredible screenshots by Thorsten in this post of his: http://www.flightgear.org/tours/the-mag ... -and-haze/

My opinion is that our strengths are particularly our sky, lights and clouds (which are really stunning in the last releases) and so we should really show them to the world :)

Best,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Re: Gallery page

Postby curt » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Gilberto,

I'd love a fresh group of good v3.4 pictures for the web page. If you and others would like to collect a few of your best pictures and send them to me I would definitely work on updating the gallery page. (I'll try to watch this thread too, but my forum participation is a bit hit or miss some days, so often a direct hit to my email inbox gets my attention the quickest.)

As we have done in the past, I would reserve the right to pick through the submitted images and make any final judgement calls as to what is included. I think FlightGear screenshots are a bit like real life photography. Some people really have a wonderful knack for setting up a scene and composing the image elements to really capture a special shot ... then most of the rest of us are pretty average (myself included.) So I just want to say ahead of time, there is no intention to slight anyone's efforts, but probably I will try to pick through and just use the ones I think are the best.

Thanks,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby gsagostinho » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Curt,

That's great, I will try to make some screenshots myself when FG 3.4 is released, and I will keep an eye for other screenshots in this forum.

> As we have done in the past, I would reserve the right to pick through the submitted images and make any final judgement calls as to what is included.

That's absolutely reasonable, and actually very recommended. I think the quality level of the images should be as high as possible for that page so that we give a good impression of what FG is capable of achieving.

Take care,
Gilberto

PS: sorry for my late reply, for some reason I did not receive a reply alert to this thread
gsagostinho

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed May 20, 2015 7:53 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 pm:My opinion is that our strengths are particularly our sky

Very funny! :wink:
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby gsagostinho » Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm

MIG29pilot wrote in Wed May 20, 2015 7:53 pm:
gsagostinho wrote in Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 pm:My opinion is that our strengths are particularly our sky

Very funny! :wink:

Oh, I think you misunderstood me, I was serious when I was complimenting FG's sky. The colours of the sky and the weather are fantastic IMO.

@curt BTW, I swear I didn't forget about these screenshots, I just have been so busy with other FG projects in my free time (c172p-detailed, liveries for other planes, creating new materials and textures) that I couldn't do much else. I have a bunch of nice shots in my blog, but almost all of them are using only the c172p-detailed. As soon as these projects I mentioned slow down (most should be done before the 3.6 release) then I will focus back on these shots.

Cheers!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby themadgreek » Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 pm

themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby gsagostinho » Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 pm

@themadgreek you have some very nice shots there, but almost all of them have the menu bar being shown (press F10 to hide it) and other pop up menus as well (e.g. multiplayer menu, call sign in the bottom, etc.). Please have a look on this page for some good guidelines for screenshots.

And BTW, where are those hills in the 3rd shot? Beautiful scenery :)
gsagostinho

Postby themadgreek » Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 pm

the hills are somewhere near the border of Nepal and Bhutan.

I'm aware of the menu bars etc. but don't really bother making an effort to hide them as I don't spend time "setting up" a screenshot, I just take them as I'm flying around. If it's worth using a shot you can crop it out and it won't cost much time or "damage" the image too much.

Best,
Phil
themadgreek

Callsign: MD-GRK

Postby gsagostinho » Wed May 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi Phil,

themadgreek wrote in Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 pm:the hills are somewhere near the border of Nepal and Bhutan.

Thanks, I will check them out!

I'm aware of the menu bars etc. but don't really bother making an effort to hide them as I don't spend time "setting up" a screenshot, I just take them as I'm flying around. If it's worth using a shot you can crop it out and it won't cost much time or "damage" the image too much.

Well, this thread is about creating new screenshots to showcase FG's best qualities, so making the effort to set up a screenshot is essential here. Surely one can cut these things out, but IMO the shots in the highest resolution and with the original proportion always look best.

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby MIG29pilot » Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Wed May 20, 2015 8:28 pm:Oh, I think you misunderstood me, I was serious when I was complimenting FG's sky. The colours of the sky and the weather are fantastic IMO.

Yes, I know, and I agree! Just look at these!
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby massima » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Lately i've been downloading the latest FG scenery (i come from 2.12 version), so these are medium altitude shots.

EDITED: more shots.
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Hey, just saw this topic, so here are some pictures (maybe usefull ;)):
The grand canyon is maybe the best-looking landscape in flightgear.
The 707-the aircraft with the best cockpit of flightgear (in my opinion)
In my opinion, the 787 has the best modern cockpit (or maybe the A380)
The b1900d with one of the best exterior models and use of shaders
The nice cabin of the ATR42-600
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 am

Another repeating on my request to, please, please convert your .png screenshots to .jpg's (especially if you're uploading dozens of them..) so those of us with slow connections and older GPU's don't spend a half-hour waiting to see all the images?
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby massima » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:04 am

Why not. Many png images are heavy to load, i'll follow your suggestion for my future images.
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2020.4.0

Return to News