Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Aircraft are now hosted on SVN

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Aircraft are now hosted on SVN

Postby onox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm

COL, just keep your github repository and instead publicize the .zip download link. For users that's way easier than having to do an svn checkout.

And if you want to have a minimal fgdata git without all the aircraft (except ufo, c172p, f-14b, senecaii, generic and the instruments), check my signature.
onox
Retired

Postby AndersG » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:15 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:55 pm:Since you mentioned this, does SVN retain the "FULL" history?
Can anyone get that history?
I ask because there are jewels buried deep in git history that we just can't loose!

SVN only keeps the full history on the server side. Hence, if the SF systems suffer from disk corruption or vandalism there may be problems - but hopefully they have good backup procedures.

git svn fetches the full history by first checking out revision 1, then revision 2, etc. etc. It is a rather slow process so I would not recommend doing git svn clone on the full fg-addon just because but rather do that only for the subdirectories you actually plan to work on. OTOH, since none of the existing history was migrated the number of revisions is probably still small so now might be the time.

When using git svn all the SVN commits will form one branch (each SVN commit becomes one git commit). This branch cannot be mixed with other git branches freely - none-SVN commits can only be on-top of the SVN history (after the SVN commits). Hence, any local commits on this branch are rebased each time changes are pulled from upstream (with git svn rebase). Such commits (always all AFAIK) can be pushed upstream by git svn dcommit.

For my per-aircraft git repositories I intend to keep my development on a pure git branch and only occasionally copy relevant changes to the SVN interface branch to push them upstream with git svn dcommit.

Hopefully, enough people keep the old full fgdata master branch around so that the present 15 years of fgdata aircraft history is not lost.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 pm

since none of the existing history was migrated

Hopefully, enough people keep the old full fgdata master branch around so that the present 15 years of fgdata aircraft history is not lost.

OK, I'm looking at this wrong then.
As long as fgdata, git, "history" is not altered then anyone can go back in time, before the split, and retrieve anything that was ever there?
That leads to another thought, fgdata git, sever side "storage", will never be smaller than the day prior to when it was split.
Will it be smaller for end users that pull from it post split if history is a part of that?
As far as the data size on the server, it remains as big as it was at its biggest point in history?
I guess I fail to see any gain for git service if all the above is true.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Philosopher » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:55 pm:Since you mentioned this, does SVN retain the "FULL" history?

Clement was unable to import the Git history into SVN (AFAIK), so there's no history from before the import, but I suspect there will always be some Git repo somewhere that will contain the old repositiory and its history.
Philosopher

Postby AndersG » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:53 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:37 pm:That leads to another thought, fgdata git, sever side "storage", will never be smaller than the day prior to when it was split.
Will it be smaller for end users that pull from it post split if history is a part of that?
As far as the data size on the server, it remains as big as it was at its biggest point in history?
I guess I fail to see any gain for git service if all the above is true.

That's why I wrote "the old master branch" - I expect it will be replaced by one where the removed aircraft have been truncated.
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 am

Its me again :D

Last question about this SVN system (hopefully for a while):

I already svn-cloned the Addons, Used an script to locally clean the fgdata of duplicated planes while keeping unique ones. So I am kind of back in buziness with the updated mode.
(not in agreement. just tagging along)

Now I wanted to ask

How do I, the layman, can place a ticket request for the SVN repo ? I did
Code: Select all
svn add mychange
svn status     #IT SHOWS WHAT'S NEW IN TOWN PROPERLY
svn updated # it lets me know that Im updated [on R278]  #It looks all good
svn commit -m "mymessage"   #FAILS WITH ERROR 403 Forbidden, seems a lack of writting permissions
                                                            #my sourceforge log: iahm-col
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby AndersG » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:44 pm

With SVN there is no such thing as a local commit - svn commit tries to commit to the main repository which is only possible if you have the appropriate access rights.
I have not looked at the ticket system at sourceforge but I guess it would allow you to upload a diff/patch file (try svn diff to see what you have changed) and/or a compressed archive with the modified files.
AndersG

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks Anders
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:45 pm

AndersG wrote in Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 pm:You can expect the "addon" aircraft to disappear from fgdata soon, so the problem with duplicated aircraft is temporary.

Hi ALL :D
I am wondering what is the time line for this task?
And what are you guys overall expecting to succeed at in terms of FGDATA repository size after non-base Aircraft removal?

I hope I am not being too impatient here ... :oops: , but I will be needing to obtain a copy of the new FGDATA to place some submodules into it "aposteriori".

I did ran a FGDATA cleanup test on my machine, just to see what to expect. I don't know what are you expecting to have, particularly in terms of repo-size.

The test I ran included,
  1. Last FGDATA as of FEB*07*2015
  2. I removed all release branches previous to release/3.3.0
  3. Then I used git filter branch to kick out the non-base Aircraft. Every single one of them. This was performed in all branches, and removing empty commits from the log
  4. then I performed an expected garbage collection.

The resulting FGDATA repo
  1. It has a total of 10621 commits on the log of the "master" branch.
  2. a total size pack of 2.5 G

$ du .git -sh
    2.5G      .git

$ git count-objects -v
    count: 0
    size: 0
    in-pack: 89336
    packs: 2
    size-pack: 2591933
    prune-packable: 0
    garbage: 0
  3. Which still seemed pretty step to me!
  4. But not unreasonable if we look at these directory or file sizes in the root tree
    for file in ./*; do du -sh $file; done
    448M    ./AI
    489M    ./Aircraft
    860K    ./Aircraft-uiuc
    26M     ./Airports
    48K     ./Astro
    4.1M    ./ATC
    4.0K    ./AtlasPalette
    4.0K    ./AUTHORS
    4.0K    ./ChangeLog
    20K     ./COPYING
    24M     ./Docs
    936K    ./Effects
    124K    ./Environment
    2.7M    ./Fonts
    1.2M    ./gui
    300K    ./HLA
    4.0K    ./httpd-settings.xml
    92K     ./Huds
    788K    ./Input
    4.0K    ./joysticks.xml
    36K     ./keyboard.xml
    16K     ./Lighting
    472K    ./Materials
    12K     ./mice.xml
    286M    ./Models
    8.0K    ./MP
    25M     ./Nasal
    16M     ./Navaids
    76K     ./NEWS
    28K     ./options.xml
    56K     ./preferences.xml
    68K     ./Protocol
    4.0K    ./README
    4.0K    ./README-textures-ng
    4.0K    ./runfgfs.bat
    109M    ./Scenery
    1.1M    ./Shaders
    6.2M    ./Sounds
    417M    ./Textures
    28K     ./Thanks
    6.2M    ./Timezone
    412K    ./Translations
    4.0K    ./version
    7.0M    ./webgui
  5. Noticing that Aircraft still has almost half a GB, after pruning out most of it content, I came to realize that the 777 is a one big #ACraft#
    201M    ./777
    4.0K    ./777-200
    5.9M    ./A6M2
    18M     ./ASK13
    37M     ./b1900d
    3.0M    ./bo105
    17M     ./c172p
    11M     ./CitationX
    32M     ./Cub
    7.1M    ./dhc2
    1.5M    ./Dragonfly
    36M     ./f-14b
    43M     ./Generic
    14M     ./Instruments
    35M     ./Instruments-3d
    9.0M    ./SenecaII
    21M     ./sopwithCamel
    220K    ./ufo
    4.2M    ./ZLT-NT
  6. Also noticing that AI is another half a gig of code! Are these AI craft really optimized :S?
  7. And yet another half a gig in textures, which most of them are ground textures. ... (no arguing here, we want things to look pretty, right?!)
    704K    ./buildings-caribbean-lightmap.png
    724K    ./buildings-caribbean.png
    384K    ./buildings-lightmap.png
    2.8M    ./buildings.png
    4.0K    ./Credits
    60K     ./film-dirt.png
    17M     ./Globe
    52K     ./noise_tex.jpg
    23M     ./Runway
    2.0M    ./Signs
    3.1M    ./Sky
    212K    ./Splash1.png
    164K    ./Splash2.png
    328K    ./Splash3.png
    128K    ./Splash4.png
    108K    ./Splash5.png
    68K     ./Symbols
    282M    ./Terrain
    47M     ./Terrain.winter
    18M     ./Trees
    18M     ./Unused
    5.6M    ./Water

So again, just curious about the FGDATA split that is occurring soon. When is this scheduled? Did I read somewhere before 3.4? (that is in 6 days right?!), and what is the target of this split (in terms of repo size - given that is one of the main motivators, of getting all aircraft SVNed, if I got all of this correct)

Thanks again for your attention
Best,
IHCOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Previous

Return to News