Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: FlightGear World Scenery 2.0 released

Postby macnab » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 am

The water in the river is that yellow colour you see. In the screenshot above you would assume that it is beach-sand. It is only when you get close that you see that it is actually very funny coloured water.

EDIT: Here is a suitable close-up.

macnab

Callsign: ZS-ILH
Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am

What does it do if you switch the water effect off in the shader menu?
Thorsten

Postby macnab » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Below about 60% the water gets the correct colour.
Below about 20% the sun's reflection disappears and the water goes a slightly darker blue.

Edit: It still has the grey line running up the middle.
Edit Edit: The water is not the same colour as the water in the adjacent, old, tile. Old tile is more gery than blue-green.
macnab

Postby macnab » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:42 am

The problem with the Thames seems to be elevation/depth.
Taken down river from EGLC. The further up river you go, the more the river colour changes to "sand."
But is definitely water, see screenshot in earlier post.

macnab

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 am

Okay, this seems to be a shader getting odd input problem, so we need some info here:

* What rendering framework - default, Rembrandt or ALS? Does the problem depend on what is used here?

* Can we get in addition a screenshot with shader effects off / water quality level set to zero?

* Can we get a wireframe screenshot of the scene?

* What landclass is reported if you use the ufo and do ctrl+alt+click on the 'sandy' stuff?
Thorsten

Postby macnab » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:23 am

All images are ALS, except this one, which is Rembrandt on, Quality 5. (Quality 0 looks the same as with Rembrandt off.)

This is wireframe, quality 0

Wireframe, quality 5

Quality 0

Quality 5

Landclass is ocean!!
macnab

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 am

Okay, so at least part of the problem is that the terrain contains something small that is probably classified as 'river' inside something larger that is classified as 'ocean', and since the shader effects for inland and ocean water are not the same, there'll be always some mismatch. It doesn't really explain why the color gets to this muddy sand, but it does explain why even at quality 0 there's a color mismatch.

So on the terrain side, all the polygons of the Thames should be classified as river till it actually reaches the ocean, it makes no sense to keep a sharply defined river inside the larger water body. You can click with the ufo on the line structure inside the water body to verify that this is indeed water inland.

I'm not 100% sure but the Ocean effect might actually unconditionally assume that it is at zero elevation (because that's what Oceans are...), so using it for other elevations might confuse the shader code.
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 am

The Ocean effect takes its colours from a global texture. We'd just need to paint a little more blue around the Thames.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:17 am

The Ocean effect takes its colours from a global texture. We'd just need to paint a little more blue around the Thames.

I wrote the effect for ALS, and I assure you it doesn't take the color from any global texture - it inputs an RGB triplet from the property tree as uniforms and computes the color it should show based on lighting, cloud cover and similar things inside the fragment shader.

Also, just painting base color doesn't sole anything - the wave pattern is also computed in different ways for Ocean and Rivers.
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 am

This is not the normal ocean effect, but i4ndf's water depth function (sorry for not making that clear). It was recently added to Git. You can find the map in Textures/Globe. Take a look around TNCM to see some nice variations.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS

Postby F-JJTH » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 pm

@macnab: what you are showing come from a Git version, are you sure you are using the last fgdata Git ? I'm asking because a fix (at least we hope :) ) has been commited 1 or 2 days ago
F-JJTH

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:32 pm

This is not the normal ocean effect, but i4ndf's water depth function (sorry for not making that clear). It was recently added to Git. You can find the map in Textures/Globe. Take a look around TNCM to see some nice variations.

The screenshots are supposed to be ALS?! Just looking at FGData GIT, the ocean effect in ALS uses the (rgb) triplet...
Thorsten

Postby macnab » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Sorry, guys, I've been out.

@F-JJTH. Just did a git pull. Things have changed. At Water = 5 the river is now green. :cry:
At Water = 3 it is the same as before the git pull.

Edit: The whole ocean is now the same sickly green colour. Before the "fix", at least the ocean had a "reasonable" colour. Although I preferred the colour used over the last few years.
macnab

Postby f-ojac » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:42 am

The whole new scenery is now pushed on Terrasync.
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby Müller » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi all,

I know there are people working, and to do a good job in the new scenario and I thank these people. But it's complicated the situation of the new scenario in Brazil, roads within rivers, rough terrain or lack or excess, at the moment I cannot enumerate every problem, yesterday I noticed that the page where they appear the ICAO airports had many repeated, only from an airport with the name of a farm had repeated 8, at the moment I don't remember the name but is in w50s20 (I delete this folder but still kept up the names repeated airports).
If possible, someone check the terrain where the States of Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina and Parana, in Brazil, believe to be w60s30, w50s20 and verify that appear so many mistakes as is appearing on my FG, maybe it's my error FG.(I hope so).
You see, this is not a destructive criticism, I'm just reporting (in part) a number of errors that are occurring in my FG, I don't know if it will happen the same mistakes on another computer.
I'm trying to do pictures this weekend to show some of the mistakes. I repeat, I hope it's an error on my computer-in my FG Simulator.
Greetings
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

PreviousNext

Return to News