Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Release Progress (2.4.0)

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Release Progress (2.4.0)

Postby Torsten » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Cluster wrote in Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 am:I have 1 quick questions about the main new features:
Will there be better textures? (Such as for example taxi ways that don't look like they are overlapping each other (via Transparency))
Will there be better Clouds and Water?
Will extremly common bugs such as Rain, Snow, Low Framerate, Runwaylights, and other big bugs be fixed?

Please check the Release Notes for what has changed since 2.0.0
Note that this document is still work in progress and some features and bugfixes might be missing there.

There is a list of our fixed bugs at our bugtracker.

We currently have some trouble with our build server. It refuses to build the release binaries for Windows which are required to create a release candidate installer package. Our Mac package master is offline due to private reasons for the next few days. We are working hard to the the 2.4.0RC1 packages ready next week.

Sorry for the delay.
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby truthsolo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Could it be the http:// vs git:// problem?

FlightGear-next-Win: git fetch -t git://git.gitorious.org/fg/flightgear.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*

Windows-release: git fetch -t http://git.gitorious.org/fg/flightgear.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

Postby Cluster » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks, that helped, I am defenitly exited for 2.0.4! :D
I'm a Blender artist and a FG lover, and I am planning to combine the 2 by modeling Vancouver area
Cluster

Callsign: Cluster
Version: 2

Postby kyokoyama » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Sorry to deviate from the current topic at hand, but could I get something confirmed?

For the Future FG Release Plan page on the Wiki, I wanted to replace the picture below...

...with this picture...

-I just want to get this confirmed first, however: is this picture accurate as to how future releases of FG will be handled?

Thanks.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Trez » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:42 pm

yes boeing told me how to just for everyone else
place object
press >d< than >e< (without arrows of course)
close simulation window but not the select/start window
go to advanced features--> open log
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby Scouty » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 am

I would LOVE to see better cloud/land/water textures this update!
If You wish upon a star, your dreams can come true. Unless of course the star actually happens to be a meteor headed straight towards Earth that will end all life, then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for, unless it's death by meteor...
Scouty

Callsign: Scouty
Version: 2

Postby Trez » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 am

Scouty wrote in Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 am:I would LOVE to see better cloud/land/water textures this update!

textures are preeety good in git!! you can expect verry high quality!! :D

thx tristar
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby HanselVB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Hello,
I have a very important notice. FlightGear is not compatible with Apple's new OS, Mac OS X Lion.
Would it be possible to make FlightGear run on this OS by August 18?
Hänsel
Nothing better than the elegance of flying.
HanselVB

Version: 240

Postby Torsten » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:13 pm

kyokoyama wrote in Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:34 pm:Sorry to deviate from the current topic at hand, but could I get something confirmed?

For the Future FG Release Plan page on the Wiki, I wanted to replace the picture below...
(...)

...with this picture...
(...)
-I just want to get this confirmed first, however: is this picture accurate as to how future releases of FG will be handled?

I'd like to keep the original picture as it represents the original document of our brainstorming session in an Italian restaurant at the Savignyplatz in Berlin. So it's somewhat historic. It certainly does not serve well to illustrate how the release process works. Creating a new image for that exact purpose sounds like a good idea to me and I am happy with having this added to the release plan. If we do so, this picture should clearly explain how the process is designed. I'm sorry to say, that with your version I have some trouble identifying our release process on it. I don't know why, but I looked at it for a while without knowing clearly what is going on which tells me that it should be simplified.

Thanks for your effort to clarify the process
Torsten

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm

No problem.

...well, if my picture is hard to understand, then that probably means my understanding for the release progress isn't correct...
Could you clarify exactly how it'll work then, please?

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Postby ThorstenB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 pm

kyokoyama wrote in Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm:...well, if my picture is hard to understand, then that probably means my understanding for the release progress isn't correct...
Could you clarify exactly how it'll work then, please?

The new diagram looks nice - but it doesn't explain quite correctly how our git development branches are handled.
It'd be good to show only two streams in the diagram - instead of three.

There is our development stream - which is called "next". "next" always contains the stuff for the next/future release. Initially this branch is open for development (= green). On Dec/Jun 17th it is frozen (= yellow). 4 weeks later, we branch off the release branch ("release x.y"). The diagram should show the release branch leaving off the main "next" branch. At the same time, the "next" stream reopens for development and is "green" again. The new release branch then lives on (for about another 4 weeks) until the release is ready and officially announced.
Maybe you could try to draw a diagram like this?

And, oh, I have also been to the Italian restaurant - where we discussed possible release processes. And had a lot of fun. So I can understand why Torsten want's to keep the funny photo - though it'll be appreciated by those only, who enjoyed food/fun that evening ;-).
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7
Version: GIT

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm

Sure must've been a good Italian place, then?

-As for the diagram.. So each previous development stream is not closed off after each release, but is simply renamed?
(What I mean by closing off here is not the "red no-devel" sign, but the stream being permanently closed)

kyokoyama

Postby ThorstenB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:52 pm

kyokoyama wrote in Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm:Sure must've been a good Italian place, then?

Well, at least we had fun! ;-)

kyokoyama wrote in Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm:So each previous development stream is not closed off after each release, but is simply renamed?

Yes & no. The "next" stream is never closed off - it always lives on. But technically, it's also not renamed - it just lives on as "next" (now being the "next" for another future release). But indeed, we also bump the version numbers in the different streams. See the wiki page: the new release branch gets an even version number (i.e. "2.4.0"), while the "next" stream is bumped to a new odd version number (i.e. "2.5.0").
ThorstenB

Callsign: D-TB7
Version: GIT

Postby Torsten » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Don't forget master. After the official release, the corresponding release branch gets merged into master. Master will hold the codebase of the last release. (At least for SimGear and FlightGear, FGDATA is another story...)
Torsten

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Actually, I was only mentioning the simulator as a whole, not each individual subprogram...

kyokoyama

PreviousNext

Return to News