Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project News

Release Progress (2.4.0)

News from the ever evolving world of FlightGear.

Re: Release Progress (2.4.0)

Postby Torsten » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 pm

VicMar wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:30 pm:Again, I might be getting this because of my Mac, but has any other Mac user noticed FG to be noticeably darker/dimmer since OSG arrived?

I have never used fg on a Mac before we switched to OSG, but I can run FG on my MacBook with Linux and MacOS and can't see a significant difference. It's also no darker than on my Linux-only notebook or any other computer I run FlightGear on. Sorry, I have no idea what might cause your issue.
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Ernest1984 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Mac OS X 10.6:

i can only start up @ KSFO, any other airport does not activate (i end up in the blank sea). Tried it several times but the scenery never loads up (only KSFO scenery works). Also my MP does not works.

Everything else is very nice, i love this new graphic effects!
EPWA-hub: ERJ-195 clsgn: ERNIE
-----------------------------------
Around The World with B1900D!
callsign: AROUNDw - currently suspended till the FG will have a proper look on different locations
Ernest1984

Callsign: ERNIE
Version: 2.10

Postby Torsten » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm

HanselVB wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm:-There is an arrow on the HUD which, I presume, is a new feature, but it's flashing randomly all the time

Can you post a screenshot and mark what arrow you are referring to, please?
HanselVB wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm:-TerraSync doesn't seem to work (I tried some airports with the on-the-fly download feature on but even after restarting several times there was no scenery), but the scenery at KSFO works

Did you add the path you download the scenery to to your --fg-scenery option? If so, please post a screenshot with your terrasync settings and your command line.
HanselVB wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm:-This issue really makes me sad: MULTIPLAYER STILL WON'T WORK... :cry: Even after trying the "solutions" given in the topics about the multiplayer on mac issue (leaving the IP address blank, inputting command-line options), I still have the same problem: FlightGear doesn't start up after checking the multiplayer box (but the multiplayer map shows up), and if I put in a command-line that should activate multiplayer, FlightGear starts up without going online. Does anyone have a real solution for this? MP hasn't worked on my Mac since the release of 2.0.0...

Developer's excuse #1: Works on my machine ;-) Please post your command line.
HanselVB wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm:-I don't see any jetways at KSFO... And certainly no animated ones.

No idea.
Torsten

Postby Torsten » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks everybody for testing the release candidate. We can't find all the bugs without your help.
Your bug reports to this topic or forum are appreciated, but may easily get lost, so may I kindly ask to open a bug report at our tracker?
Just click to http://code.google.com/p/flightgear-bugs/issues/list and hit "new issue". Please do so for each single issue you find. You may also amend existing issues if you have another test case.
That really helps us keeping track of the issues (that's why it's named 'tracker')

Thank you
Torsten

Postby Trez » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:08 pm

hi
i downloaded it (mac) and opened it:

following disk image could not be opened:
FlightGear-2.4.0-RC1.dmg reason : not recognized

mac 10.6.8
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby VicMar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your thoughts. Its a waste of time asking most Mac users for their command lines because wherever possible we use the GUI launcher.

The more people who say they have not had the dimmer/darker effect, the more I think it must be my Mac. Unfortunately the graphics card is built in, so it can't be updated. I guess I shall have to continue to use the latest available version for my testing, but rely on V 1.9.1 or 2.0.0 for my flying.

Coming back to the 'Download on the fly' appearing to not work until I had used the default airport first. Do you think that is a bug? HanselVB seems to have no terrasync scenery at all. I wonder if his terrasync scenery worked after using KSFO first. Let us know Hansel.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby HanselVB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Torsten wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm:Can you post a screenshot and mark what arrow you are referring to, please?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=639281&l=e086735d4e&id=100000852428675
I don't even know what this arrow means...
Torsten wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm:
HanselVB wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm:-TerraSync doesn't seem to work (I tried some airports with the on-the-fly download feature on but even after restarting several times there was no scenery), but the scenery at KSFO works

Did you add the path you download the scenery to to your --fg-scenery option? If so, please post a screenshot with your terrasync settings and your command line.

I didn't add any path... Where should I add that path? In the launcher or while running FlightGear? I really don't know a lot about this, but the only thing I usually had to do to make FlightGear download scenery automatically during flight, was clicking the "Download scenery on the fly" box in the launcher.
Torsten wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm:
HanselVB wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm:-This issue really makes me sad: MULTIPLAYER STILL WON'T WORK... :cry: Even after trying the "solutions" given in the topics about the multiplayer on mac issue (leaving the IP address blank, inputting command-line options), I still have the same problem: FlightGear doesn't start up after checking the multiplayer box (but the multiplayer map shows up), and if I put in a command-line that should activate multiplayer, FlightGear starts up without going online. Does anyone have a real solution for this? MP hasn't worked on my Mac since the release of 2.0.0...

Developer's excuse #1: Works on my machine ;-) Please post your command line.

--multiplay=out,10,mpserver12.flightgear.org,5000--multiplay=in,10,192.168.0.101,5000--callsign=Hansel
Nothing better than the elegance of flying.
HanselVB

Version: 240

Postby HanselVB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 pm

VicMar wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 pm:Coming back to the 'Download on the fly' appearing to not work until I had used the default airport first. Do you think that is a bug? HanselVB seems to have no terrasync scenery at all. I wonder if his terrasync scenery worked after using KSFO first. Let us know Hansel.

My first flight was at KSFO, and I had this issue after that flight...
HanselVB

Postby Torsten » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Me, neither. But it looks like it's there by intention... I'll see if I can find some documentation for it, probably in the source code. Let's assume, it's not a bug for now ;-)

For the scenery download: If you use the new built-in feature from the menu "Environment->Scenery Download", you specify a "Target Directory" which is the place on your harddisk where all the files get written to. You may browse in your Finder to that location and check if there is anything within this folder.
FlightGear needs to know that it has to look in this folder for scenery. There is a note in the "Automatic Scenery Download" dialog saying "Remember to add target directory to your fg-scenery path list". I don't know Tat's launcher for FlightGear, so I don't know where you can add this (the first app, I open under MacOS is the Terminal, so I have a command line). If you find a place where you can add custom parameters, you need to set
Code: Select all
--fg-scenery=/same/as/in/target-directory

For the multiplayer: my system runs happily on multiplayer without the multiplay=in,xxxx option. A common pitfall is an active firewall (you need to open UDP port 5000) on your Mac and on your DSL router.
Torsten

Postby Trez » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:40 pm

and my question?
Trez

Callsign: Trez
Version: 2.8 GIT

Postby VicMar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Torsten gave this command line solution:
--fg-scenery=/same/as/in/target-directory
The place to enter this is in the 'Others' page of the Mac Launcher.

1. Click on the little triangle on the front of the Launcher, then choose the 'Others' page.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby VicMar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm

I think the arrow on the Hud is wind direction. I am pretty sure this was in an earlier GIT version.
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby VicMar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Hansel,

Try doing a permissions repair. This often sorts things out after a big download.

Cheers,
Vic
Time flies like an arrow
VicMar

Postby HanselVB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 pm

Torsten wrote in Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:34 pm:

Me, neither. But it looks like it's there by intention... I'll see if I can find some documentation for it, probably in the source code. Let's assume, it's not a bug for now ;-)

I know it's there by intention, but that arrow is flashing irregularly, which seems like a bug. If it really shows the direction of the wind, it's a very useful new feature :)

VicMar, what's a permissions repair? :oops:
HanselVB

Postby truthsolo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Permissions repair under OS X:

Go to Finder; click on "Go" menu; select "Applications"; open "Utilities"; open "Disk Utility"; click on your system partition (default: Macintosh HD) in the left-hand column; ensure "Repair" tab is selected; click "Repair Disk Permissions"; make coffee/tea.
Rob — IRC: truthsolo — I used to run mpserver16.flightgear.org (Kansas City, MO)
Good hunting!
truthsolo

Callsign: C-FBAR, Snapper
IRC name: truthsolo
Version: git

PreviousNext

Return to News